BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   The Bug is Back! Empty The Bug is Back! Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:51 am

tintock

tintock
Silver member
Silver member
My 1984 K100RT failed its MOT in 2006 and, since then, it's been languishing in my garage virtually untouched due to a variety of issues.

I don't suppose the weather here in the central belt of Scotland has encouraged me much to get the bike back on the road as our summers seem to be getting wetter every year, but like a bolt from the blue, my enthusiasm to get two wheels back on the road has suddenly returned!

I came across this web community quite by accident while searching the internet for inspiration and it looks like a real gold mine for someone as ham-fisted as me who, as one of my mates puts it, "...couldnae put a nut in a monkey's mooth..."! Very Happy

I think my bike will need a full strip-down and rebuild and the task fills me with trepidation, but I hope I'll be able to get the job done without having to hire a mini-skip and chucking out bits of BMW at the end of it!

The first thing I need to do is to find the keys! They've mysteriously disappeared and, although I've managed to find a spare ignition key, my tank cap needs the original key to get it open. And my battery's knackered. And...

Well, between now and getting the bike back on the road, I'll hopefully be able to contribute a little back into the forums, but it's going to be a steep learning curve!

2Back to top Go down   The Bug is Back! Empty Re: The Bug is Back! Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:29 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good to hear tintock ....

welcome to the forum ....youll find lots of helpfull info here ....but be warned ...its isnt going to be an easy road

but im sure when questions are asked ...there will be someone with a similar issue resolved ..were like that i guess !

good to hear another "k" is heading back to the road ...enjoy ...!

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   The Bug is Back! Empty Re: The Bug is Back! Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:01 am

tintock

tintock
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for the welcome and your words of encouragement! I have a feeling this project will keep me well occupied over the winter months!

4Back to top Go down   The Bug is Back! Empty Re: The Bug is Back! Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:50 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome. I suppose the first question is why did it fail MOT?

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

5Back to top Go down   The Bug is Back! Empty Re: The Bug is Back! Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:27 am

tintock

tintock
Silver member
Silver member
club_c wrote:Welcome. I suppose the first question is why did it fail MOT?

It failed on 4 points:

- Steering movement excessively stiff (a) with the wheel raised and (b) with the weight on the lower bearing, and;
- Excessive fluctuation of brake effort on both the front and rear roller brake tests.

It hasn't turned a wheel in 6 years, though, so I don't imagine that it'll be just the steering that's stiff. It could do with a right good clean too, of course, but first off I need to get a new battery as the old one is completely dead and I need to know if she'll turn over.

Finding the key to the locking petrol cap would be a plus too lol! Smile

6Back to top Go down   The Bug is Back! Empty Re: The Bug is Back! Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:28 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum tintock - you have stumbled upon a very knowledgeable and helpful crowd here. You can pretty much bet that whatever problems you might confront, somebody here has been there before you and posted up information on how to deal with the issue. Enjoy your time here Wink

7Back to top Go down   The Bug is Back! Empty The Bug is Back! Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:56 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome tintock, good decision.
Make sure you get rid of all that old fuel from the tank as soon as possible. and good luck with the rebuild.
RT

8Back to top Go down   The Bug is Back! Empty Re: The Bug is Back! Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:52 am

tintock

tintock
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks to all for your kind words of welcome and advice. I have a bad feeling that opening the tank is going to be a problem, but the search for the key goes on!

9Back to top Go down   The Bug is Back! Empty Re: The Bug is Back! Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:06 am

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome tintock. You'll find some real inspiration and motivation in the forums restoration section that's for sure. good luck with the strip down - I know I was aprehensive before doing the first few jobs on mine but with the forum's assistance the confidence grows.

88KE

Last edited by 88KE on Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

10Back to top Go down   The Bug is Back! Empty Re: The Bug is Back! Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:57 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Good to have you with us tintock and good luck with the resurection.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum