BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   What tyre recommendations? Empty What tyre recommendations? 29/10/12, 06:34 pm

DeRodster

DeRodster
Life time member
Life time member
Hello All,
Am currently running on Michelin Macadam 110/80-18 (front) and 140/80-17 (rear).
They seem fine and in my limited experience I see nothing wrong with them.
So when I come to replace them next year that's the route i'll probably go
unless someone has other recommendations worth considering.

Anyone ?

Rod

1974 Triumph 3TA / 5TA
1974 Honda 100
1969 Honda 50

2Back to top Go down   What tyre recommendations? Empty Tyres 29/10/12, 09:02 pm

graemem

graemem
Hi Rod

I run a Bridgestone SF11 110/80-18 on the front & a Michelin Macadam 130/80-17 on the rear. The rear takes forever to warm up but once warm gives reasonable grip even in the wet. What has impressed me is the mileage I am getting from them. The rear has done approx 10000km and still looks good for about the same.

That's my 2c worth from a partially sunny South Africa.

Graeme

Life time member
Life time member
Rod have a read of this thread for great tyre info. I went through the same decision process when I got my bike - squared off rear macadam and worn pirelli front. In the end I went with the Pirelli Sport Demons, H rated (up to 130mph) they're cheaper as they are more readily available than the V rated (149mph). My local bike shop SP Motorcycles Gorey did them as cheap as I could have got them off the net.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
There are numerous threads contained herein on new tyres and recommendations on tyres. I suggest typing in tyres (or tires) in the search area and up will pop heaps of info and opinion going back three years or so.

For bias ply tyres I like Pirelli's Sport Demon, others prefer Macadams and Contis, still others, Bridgestone Battlax. For radials I like the Pirelli Angel ST and Conti's Road Attack II.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
I used Michelin Macadams briefly and removed them well before I wore them out. I live where there are lots of curvy roads to play on and the Macadam rear would always slide before I even touched a foot peg to the pavement.

What did work for me quite well are Avon radials. On the rear use the Azaro-ST sized 140/80ZR17. I used to use Dunlop D205s and loved them, but when they were discontinued I had to switch to the Azaro.

On the front use the Avon Storm 2 Ultra sized 110/80ZR18. I used the Azaro rear, Storm front combo for several years getting about 10K miles out of each tire. They are superior to any bias ply tire you will ever mount on these old skinny rims. There is enough grip to allow you to fold the footpegs up against the footpeg plates without any squirm or slide, which is more than I could ever say about those miserable Macadams.

Another possible choice is the Continental TKV 11/12 combination. This is a re-issue of what was in the mid to late 1980's a premium bias ply sport tire for bikes like ours. I used them and liked everything about them except for one thing. They tracked rain grooves and were very lively on steel grate bridges.

Here is one other combo to try. Michelin makes both the Pilot Road 2 and 3 in a 110/80ZR18 front, but there is no PR rear sized 140/80ZR17. There is, however, a Michelin Ankakee in both 130/80R17 and 140/80R17. This is another way to get a long lasting radial on the old skinny K bike rim.

1984 K-100RS Alaska Blue w/Parelever and 16V wheels.

1984 K-100RS Metallic Madison stock

1986 R-80G/S w/1000 cc engine

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Mirage Orange w/XR1200 wheels, Race Tech, True Track, Works Performance shocks

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Vivid Black stock

1993-ish K-100/1100RT/LT hemaphrodite frankenbike thingy to be painted satin black from a rattle can eventually

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
I'm using the Michelin Pilot on both ends and find them as good as Bridgestone BT45's but they are looking like they are going to last a lot longer.
Cheaper to buy, too.
Tried Metzler ME88(?). Back tyre gone in 3000 miles.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

STEVE1959

Silver member
Silver member
Hi Comberjohn, which Michelin Pilot are you using? The Activ?

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Yes, the Activ. Using a 130 on the back. I've been using them for a couple of thousand miles now and very happy with the feel and rate of wear.

STEVE1959

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for the reply Comberjohn, I have seen them in the Michelin brochure and wondered what they were like. How are they in the wet?

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Haven't found any problem wet or dry although my level of self-preservation may be higher than some.
If there's one thing we know about in Ireland, its riding in the wet!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum