BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Has anyone seen this gloop Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:52 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Just wondering if anyone has had anything to do with this gloop, it could be goos for revitalising those discoloured screens
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Headlamps-Polish-for-BMW-E36-E46-E60-E90-E92-Z3-Z4-X5-X6-M3-M5-/221162234621?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337e4be2fd

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

2Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:07 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Yeah, I bought some and it arrived last week. Haven't tried it out yet.

I'm going to try it on the Falcon's headlights tomorrow.

Stay tuned. I'm not expecting much...

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

3Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:12 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
From what I`ve read on other forums.....rubbing for paintwork function good for this.
Then for the final result, using wax and machine polish....together with plenty of water, for cooling.

4Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:23 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nice ! im in for a bottle if your ordering rick ...

cheers !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:08 am

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
blakey wrote:Yeah, I bought some and it arrived last week. Haven't tried it out yet.

I'm going to try it on the Falcon's headlights tomorrow.

Stay tuned. I'm not expecting much...

I would tend to agree there Blakey....I have used a thing called ":Micromesh" made for the aviation industry where perspex or acylic windscreens have to be clear and optically stable.

This kit has various fabric backed wet and dry which you use wet in every increasing circles and increasing grit numbers....the last step is an acrylic polish.

I cannot imagine just a polish is going to have the perfect effect....but I hope in this case it does as Micromesh was hard work!!!!!

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

Has anyone seen this gloop Au-log10

6Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:24 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have been using Plexus but the effects last about as long as an aspro and it only covers up the tiny surface cracking and doesn't remove them.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

7Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:20 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
C'mon guys...stay positive!

It cost me 1 whole dollar! Of course it's gunna be a quality product! Embarassed

8Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:37 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Rick G wrote:I have been using Plexus but the effects last about as long as an aspro and it only covers up the tiny surface cracking and doesn't remove them.

I've been selling and using Plexus for yonks. The only thing it's good for is as an insect cleaner and rain deflector on helmet visors (faceshields for the Yanks) and windscreens. But it's bloody good at that. Pity it costs so much, even in Americaland.

Turtlewax (non-abrasive pastewax) for your car's finish lasts longer and does as good a job on plastic....notice how the water beads up on the Duco when it rains? You prolly have an old tin of it laying round collecting dust in the garage. Grab it, prise the rusty lid off, give it a go. You prolly bought it so long ago that it costs less than Blakey's dollar!

9Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:20 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I used to use Turtle wax and it works well but the bike just kept getting slower and slower.
Plexus was originally used by the military for the screens on planes and the cropduster pilots use it but they apply it every time they refill. Mr sheen is another good one to use but not on a visor as it affects the hard coating and makes it go yellow and opaque.

10Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:01 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
3M makes a lense cleaning kit which consists of 500Grit paper, 800 grit paper and 1200 grit paper plus a small amount of rubbing/cutting compound. It also includes an attachment for the drill and all needed bits.

I have used it on my car headlights which were horrendous it vastly improved the light output. I am going to use what i didn't use on the car on the bike screen. The screen has some large scratches which are the only area I will use the 500 grit for the rest of the screen I am going to use the 800 grit and down.

I would imagine if you are only suffering from discolouration then using 1200 grit would be all thats needed and then use a cutting or rubbing compound. (I can't remember which is used for what mind!)

Has anyone seen this gloop 169042Has anyone seen this gloop 169034

11Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:40 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Has anyone seen this gloop El_hea12

Before on the left side...after on the right. 10 minutes, light hand polishing. More time and a buffer should result in a better job.

For a buck, it'll do me.

12Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:41 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Whoo freakin' hoo!

I can post pitchas!

13Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:58 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Wow that certainly made a difference. I just might get my K11 some for Christmas.
Where did you get it for $1.
I see you bid for it, I usually only buy now as I hate waiting round for the auction to end.

Last edited by Rick G on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fun)

14Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:04 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Flea Bay. 1 Aussie buckarooney...I actually won the auction (I was the only bidder); it wasn't Buy Now and that's why I think it was free postage?!?

Same stuff as your link shows.

Last edited by blakey on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info to make is easier for my peeps to understand dude!)

15Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:06 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I'll have a hunt round they often put up a few different ways to buy and post. Those clever little Chinamen.

16Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Has anyone seen this gloop Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:09 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I believe it is my duty to help others avoid my mistakes. Do not be tempted to use a proper metal polishing wheel/rubbing compound on your screen. The heat that can be produced melts it. :suspect:

17Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:00 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I would like to warn people that some windshields are coated, and when you start to remove parts of the coating, you don't have any other solution than removing it on the integral windshield.

How do I know that?

My original electric windshield (as well as my helmet shield) were in pretty good shape. For years, I used a product called Plexus and was very satisfied with it.
After buying a new spray can, I decided to clean them
Within the next 5 minutes, the coating on the shields started to peel. arhghhhh!
This specific spray can had certainly a defect (bad mix of chemical).
It cost me a new windshield for the bike and the helmet.
After 2 years, I bought Plexus again, and I am satisfied with it.

Has anyone seen this gloop Polish

Most of the products to clean the head lights (I have a kit a home) relies on elbow grease.
You start with a coarse sand paper and finish with something like 1,000 or 1,200 grits.

If you apply the same treatment to your windshield and it has a coating, guess what you will do for the next few day?

Check this article on cleaning a windshield Smile

CF

18Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
On Blakeys recommendation I bought a bottle of gloop and Charlie I also got one for you at a price to be disclosed. (still cheap)

19Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:57 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Just to make it clear (I'm a bloody comedian eh!), this was tried on a acrylic/plastic headlight lens, not a windscreen.
I hope that it works well for you Rick.

20Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:06 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It's the screen on the bike I want it for. this is a last ditch attempt to get something I can see through when into the sun.

21Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:41 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thanks rick ......appreciate it

you might remember that old yellow screen you passed on to me .....not that i can look through it ....but did clean up ok ...well for my standards anyhow ....just wish i had bottomless pockets to buy a new screen and prevent the internal cracks that develop over the years ....

that brasso , and (meguires ) "plastx" worked well ...well for me ...thanks !

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

22Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:33 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Anyway Charlie about ten minutes ago I got 2 bottles of the gloop for $6.20 so if you still want one it's here or next time I see ya, maybe Drake soon.

23Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:26 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
cheers rick ....lets give it a try huh ....thanks mate !

24Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Re: Has anyone seen this gloop Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:09 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Rick G wrote: Mr sheen is another good one to use but not on a visor as it affects the hard coating and makes it go yellow and opaque.

I've used Mr Sheen on my visors for about 30 years without a problem.....until now. I recently dug out a new BMW system 4 helmet that I bought about 7 or 8 years ago.

After only a few months' use, the visor coating has started to deteriorate but I never suspected it was the Mr Sheen. Now I know otherwise.Has anyone seen this gloop 61740

Thanks (sort of) for the info, Rick.

Paul.

25Back to top Go down   Has anyone seen this gloop Empty Has anyone seen this gloop Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:37 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
In my other life as an antique restorer, I can tell if some 400 year old bit of furniture has had Mr. Sheen used on it only once, completely ruins the finish and is unable to be removed or recoated.
Down with the sheen.
RT

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum