BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Mozza

Mozza
Hi K-sters,

Am currently the owner, though rarely the rider, of a black 1985 K100RS. Am keen to ride her more but the clutch keeps ripping its guts out, done it 5 times now and getting tired of this. Don't want to dump the old girl as all else is lovely but am reaching despair with what should be a reliable bike.

Have had it to two motorcycle mechanics in north-west Sydney and after getting it back and riding a gentle 200km it does the same thing each time. That is that the clutch plate breaks along each of the splines between centre hub and the outer clutch ring. Had the gearbox rebuilt last time as it had eaten itself on the last occasion, though can only take the mechanics word for most of that. After forking over some thousands of dollars for that and some other work, it shit itself at the same 200km mark and has sat in the shop ever since. After waiting again for over 2 months I am tired of the attitude of the bike shop too.

Any suggestions from the forum on:

(1) what the cause might be ?

(2) any competent K100 mechanics in Sydney ?

On another note I am also interested in racing a K100 in one of the local old-timer race series. Anyone had any experience of racing the Ks ? Have scoured the net for a few projects like it that all here have probably seen but interested how they ride on race day.

Hopefully that project takes off in the next few months, in which case I'll doubtlessly be back often, meanwhile, I'd just like to get my road warrior back to reliable ..

Many thanks in advance ..

Mozza

p.s. Yes, I know I have to learn to rip down and rebuild the bike to race it !
But for now, need to get back out there on the road and ride !!

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Welcome Mozza!

Sounds like the engine output shaft and gearbox input don`t line up.
Is both locating dowels present, between gearbox and intermediate flange?

3Back to top Go down   Saying G'day & a Help Request for clutch destruct problem  Empty Thanks Inge Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:48 am

Mozza

Mozza
Thanks Inge,

Don't know that, will get up to the bike shop in the next day or so, it was apparently coming apart on Monday .. so will definitely check that out when I am there. Appreciate your advice.

Mozza

p.s. just checked my trusty Haynes and I see the locating dowels you refer to projecting rear from the bell-housing if I understand you correctly... thanks again, will follow up..

Last edited by Mozza on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional comment)

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Saying G'day & a Help Request for clutch destruct problem  Clutch10

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The only reasons I have seen for that is as Inge said a missalignment and a badly worn input shaft.
The input shaft will wear when no lubrication is present and the majority of wear will take place at the part of the spline nearest the gearbox and that causes the plate to try to cock sideways as you engage the clutch and puts a heap of strain on that centre part as it twists. The worn splines tend to cause difficult downshifting because the clutch wont disengage quickly enough.
The worn splines are easy to see, the spline will have a step about 4-5mm from the gearbox on the pressure bearing surface.
Any mechanic worth his salt should pick up on a worn spline.

Oh yeah welcome to the forum Mozza.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Here is an example of what Rick talks about:

Saying G'day & a Help Request for clutch destruct problem  49866110

Mozza

Mozza
Thanks Rick, and Inge for making things very clear. Am well armed with info already, what a welcome to the Forum .. Many thanks ..

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Hey Mozza and welcome.
You would not have taken the bike to any shops near Castle Hill would you?

Have seen a black bike in a shop there recently getting a clutch replaced

rossco

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
Hey Mozza ,

Rossco is a legend with the K100...and is local too...I am just down the road and always keen to help...and have experience of racing cars and bikes ...but never a K....and have been pit crew most recently on cars predominately.

Keep in touch Moz.

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

Saying G'day & a Help Request for clutch destruct problem  Au-log10

Mozza

Mozza
Rossco, I would have done just that .. don't want to spray on them but do want to get it going again .. you didn't happen to see it actually getting repaired this week did you ? Wink

Will let you all know how they get on this week and update as we go. Appreciate the offers of help and will keep coming back as I get this bike back to full working order.

Klompy, have got a mate in the PCRA and it all seemed like too much fun ! The K-brick is as solid as a rock cornering at pace and I reckon with the right get-go bits it should make for a gutsy competitor if not quite competitive .. Not that I'm any great rider, in fact my next race will be my first but with no oncoming traffic, no cops and encouragement to go flat out, what's not to love !

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Have you seen this page?

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
I did not see your bike this week. I saw one in there a few months ago. As you mentioned recurring I thought maybe,it had been there before.
If it all gets too much we are here to help.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
a great link indeed inge ....

welcome mozza

i seem to get the message that induction mods ...exhaust mods are the first things along the path to adding a few horsies pretty quick .

but programable ecu- ignition and injectors are the next step to many more horsies

good luck with the fixes

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

14Back to top Go down   Saying G'day & a Help Request for clutch destruct problem  Empty Update - gotta wait till next year .. Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:29 am

Mozza

Mozza

Just let you all know that I went up to check on my bike today but there they were in the middle of moving shop to another premises just up the road so am going to have to wait until early in the new year to get your great advice acted on ..

Many thanks for your interest, help and warm welcome and I'll look forward to getting more involved in the forum myself too .. Rossco has been in touch, lives just round the corner and has offered to help out like a legend. He speaks highly of you all as well !

Wish all of you a great break, stay safe out there and see you all next year ..

Cheers,

Mozza

#0080726K100RS

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Mozza,
When you come back in the new year please post into the Engine & Transmission section because we want to keep responses that will be useful to members in the future in the relevant section. The other ting is not all members read the New Members section and their input will be missing with a response to your query.
Regards,
K-BIKE

dee why

dee why
Gold member
Gold member
Hi Mozza,
The previous owner of Discount Motorcycle Wreckers in Nth Coburg, Melbourne had a K100 race bike. I know it sat on the floor at BM Motorcycles, Ringwood for a while a few years ago.
Cheers,

04/86 K100 VIN 0009479 Columbia Silver

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum