BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   annoying vibration in mirror Empty annoying vibration in mirror Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:15 pm

roys

Silver member
Silver member
hi,

My 1987 base bike has the type of mirrors that sit on long stems. The RHS mirror is not tightly held by its frame and vibrats making a most annoying noise and giving very little usefullness.

I tried to open its frame(by turning) but could not and am not even sure this is possible - is it? if not then perhaps i can driil a small hole from back and inject some rtv silicon inside?

all ideas welcome,
tnx
Roy

2Back to top Go down   annoying vibration in mirror Empty Re: annoying vibration in mirror Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:48 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Roy,

And as far as mirror vibration goes I think every bike I have ridden bar a Gold Wing, the mirrors were next to useless at most speeds. On my RT the rh one is hopeless but the lh one is ok.

In your case I think I would try finding some aftermarket mirrors that have a large shock absorber at the base or maybe trying different handlebar weights.

Regards,

Phil

3Back to top Go down   annoying vibration in mirror Empty Re: annoying vibration in mirror Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:58 am

roys

Silver member
Silver member
phil_mars wrote:Hi Roy,

And as far as mirror vibration goes I think every bike I have ridden bar a Gold Wing, the mirrors were next to useless at most speeds. On my RT the rh one is hopeless but the lh one is ok.

In your case I think I would try finding some aftermarket mirrors that have a large shock absorber at the base or maybe trying different handlebar weights.

Regards,

Phil

hi,

the glass itself is vibrating in its casing - somehow it got in there so i was hoping there is a way to take it apart - i will look into alternative mirrors - can anyone give any leads?

tnx
Roy

4Back to top Go down   annoying vibration in mirror Empty Re: annoying vibration in mirror Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:07 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Roy,
Why not squirt a bead of silicone rubber around the glass and push it into the gap with a wet finger? Clean up with a razor blade after.

My K100 RS mirrors are perfect no problem at all at any speed.

Regards,
K-BIKE

5Back to top Go down   annoying vibration in mirror Empty Re: annoying vibration in mirror Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:58 pm

scottiesharpe

scottiesharpe
Silver member
Silver member
My RT mirrors are perfect at any speed. One of the best parts of the bike, IMHO.

6Back to top Go down   annoying vibration in mirror Empty Re: annoying vibration in mirror Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:31 am

roys

Silver member
Silver member
hi,

the naked bike mirrors seat on long stems that probably add to the vibration. At about 5000 or RPM 120 kmh and above both mirrors vibrate on stems in circular way and i am not sure much can be done considering they are completely exposed to the wind and eng vibrations.

my issue is the RHS mirror itself that vibrates in its frame - It looks as if it can be opened but using moderat force would not do it and i did not want to apply too much force. putting some black silicon as suggested helped only for a little while. I am thinking either too use more force to try to pry mirror frame open? OR to drill little hole from back side and try putting in some silicone from rear side of mirror?

its a small thing but it makes a VERY annoying noise.

tnx
Roy

7Back to top Go down   annoying vibration in mirror Empty Re: annoying vibration in mirror Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:37 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Roy,
The silicone will fix the problem either force it in the gap between the glass and the frame or inject from the back both will work. I suspect increasing the mass should change the resonant frequency slightly as well.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum