BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Just Another FNG Empty Just Another FNG Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:01 pm

rotormotored

rotormotored
Hi all, Thanks for letting join this group. I have a 1987 K100RS that I just stopped riding for a number of reasons and sadly I left it out in the elements for about 2 years. I did have it covered but sometimes the wind wind would blow it partially off. So it did get a bit weathered. But enough of the with the sad story because about a month ago, me and my son decided to roll it back into the garage, put it on the lift and get to work customizing it. Yes that means that I will have a bunch of parts that I'm not planing on using, mostly all the body work. So inquiries will be welcome.
I bought it from a guy who had dozens of bikes in a small airplane hanger at Van Nuys Airport, Van Nuys, California. I would walk past his little hanger every day and sometimes I'd stop by and talk to him. One day I saw he had this K100 there and he told me that it had been slightly wrecked. I guess someone backed into it and bent the front end and did some other minor damage. So nedless to say it put it in the back of my truck and so the project began.
I managed to scrounge around and found and rebuilt another set of forks and front fender then tried to ride it. But the front wheel was bent and it got a bit scary when I tried to ride it. So that meant the I had to locate a front wheel but all I could afford at the time, was one of the snowflake style wheels. I got it mounted and away I went. I rode the bike for about 2 years and really enjoyed myself. The bike had plenty of power and I had plenty of long straight away to enjoy the power and speed. I don't know if any of you other K100 owners experiance this but I noticed that I really couldn't just take my hands the handle bars and be able to roll in a straight line. I often wondered about this and if it is just a characteristic of the way the bike is built with all the drive train being on one side. ???
In any case, we are planning a number of really cool and different looks for this bike and I plan to document it all here on this forum. This of course, will present a number of technical challenges at almost every turn. Any and all input from the wealth of knowledgable people here on this forum will be welcome.
Thank you, Ed

2Back to top Go down   Just Another FNG Empty Re: Just Another FNG Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:06 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Welcome to the forum Ed I hope you and your son have a good time doing the work then riding it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Just Another FNG Empty The Plan Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:48 pm

rotormotored

rotormotored
Thanks, Rick
That's the plan.
Ed

4Back to top Go down   Just Another FNG Empty Extra parts Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:56 am

okr

okr
Keep me in the loop on the parts you won't be needing. I am also new to the forum and bought a 1991 K100RS
almost 2 weeks ago. Mine also suffers from having been parked outside and not ridden much in the past 2 years
and I aim to correct the neglect in the coming months. I don't know what sort of parts compatibility there is between
87 and 91, but if it fits, there are some parts I'm looking for. Let's talk via the forum as your project and mine progress.
I live fairly close, in San Diego county. Fairing parts and mounts interest me, particularly that little airscoop at the top
of the RS's windshield (how did the previous owner lose THAT thing?!?!) The mysteries of previous owner behavior are limitless.

5Back to top Go down   Just Another FNG Empty Re: Just Another FNG Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:14 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi Ed welcome to the forum good luck on the rebuild and enjoy riding it

BIG D

6Back to top Go down   Just Another FNG Empty Re: Just Another FNG Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:02 am

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome along Ed, I regularly have my young son "helping" in my Garage. I can't wait until he's old enough to take on his own projects and work alongside him. Sounds like you're in for some fun. I hope you'll post some pics as you go (we like them!)

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

7Back to top Go down   Just Another FNG Empty Re: Just Another FNG Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:07 am

gmcq

gmcq
Gold member
Gold member
Welcome to the forum. All the knowledge regarding K's will be found here. Good luck with the project.

GMcQ

8Back to top Go down   Just Another FNG Empty Re: Just Another FNG Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:44 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Ed,
Great to have you with us and we look forward to reading about your journey of restoration.
Regards,
K-BIKE

9Back to top Go down   Just Another FNG Empty Re: Just Another FNG Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:26 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
okr wrote: particularly that little airscoop at the top of the RS's windshield (how did the previous owner lose THAT thing?!?!) The mysteries of previous owner behavior are limitless.

okr, the air deflector has two mounting tags that are a bit delicate, especially when some uninformed person asks:

"Does this move?" and tries to twist it..Just Another FNG 61740

Just Another FNG 177912 Ed,

Paul.

10Back to top Go down   Just Another FNG Empty Re: Just Another FNG Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Welcome Rotormotored, and good luck with your project.

11Back to top Go down   Just Another FNG Empty Getting started Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:30 am

rotormotored

rotormotored
Hi all,
I've read all the replies welcoming me and my son to this forum and all we can say is, WOW! It really is a great feeling to know that we are NOT alone out here. Thanks allot, guys.
Anyway, I thought I would begin by letting you guys know that the bike is in the garage and on my lift. Years ago a friend of mine sold me his HandyLift and it has been a great investment. I had it outside also but somewhat covered up. I thought for sure the sun would have destroyed the air hoses but surprisingly they worked just fine. I had to wash it and wipe off the spider webs but it worked great and with no leaks. Next we pushed the bike out to the garage but before I let it onto the lift, I really had to hose this beast down. There are no real oil leaks to clean up but some grime around the intake seals. Again had to pull off all the spider webs and I even found a couple of black widows hiding in there.
We still didn't get it as clean as we would have liked to but we were getting a little anxious so after a couple of hours of that we pushed it on the lift and put it on it's center stand so we could look at it and try to decide what look we'll be giving it for next chapter of it's life.
I've always been in love with the Cafe Racer look and my son seems to dig that look also. So that is what we are doing. I've seen one here on this forum and I think he's from L.A. so he's not too far away. And I think that is cool. I did like the way his looked but I'm going to try to be more ambitious with this. I have thought about this for a while now and I think I have a pretty good idea of what I want this bike to look like. More on that later....
First things first. We need to know what condition the engine is in. So we figured we could get it on the lift, hook up a battery and the fuel tank. Well, we knew that the tank had some old contaminated fuel in it so when we tried to get it out by removing the filler cap assembly we discovered that water must have gotten into it and it had allot of rust in there. It looked like someone before me had tried to seal it with red/orange RTV. In any case, the the level sensor is rusted and not moving and the fuel pump has simply deteriorated. I couldn't tell you what it used to look like. But the rubber or whatever kind of plastic it has on it, is all gooey. So we're Not getting it started with that fuel tank.
So what to do next ... The only thing I can think of, for now, as far as determining the health of the engine is to do a compression check on it. We got it hooked up to a battery and could turn the engine over. I thought the compression was kind of low, about 90 psi and number 2 was about 80 psi. I wonder if anyone else has had compression this low. Remembering I have no oil in it, I wondered if I squirting oil into the cylinders would bring up the numbers. I decided not to do that but did leak test them instead.
We had a hard time trying keep the engine from rotating while I pressurized the cylinder on it's compression stroke. We put it in gear and while my son tried to hold the rear wheel. He's a big strong guy and me and him could barely hold the wheel. We did manage to hold it just long enough so that we could check each cylinder on their compression strokes. I appears that we do have some very air tight cylinders. Less than 10% on 1,3 and 4 and less than 20% on 2.
I am wondering if I should move this conversation to a whole other new topic ???

12Back to top Go down   Just Another FNG Empty Re: Just Another FNG Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:53 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would put some oil down it to see if the compression comes up and as for the fuel pump I have found EME usually has the gear you need at prices that are heaps better than OEM.
http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BMW-K-Parts-s/60.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=60&show=20&page=1
Have a look around it and check ebay for the pumps as they are often cheaper there. All you need in a pump is one that will pump the right pressure and volume and most that are made for bosch systems from mid 80s to mid 90s are ok.
Yeah it would be a good idea to start another thread as many don't look in on the intro threads so might miss it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

13Back to top Go down   Just Another FNG Empty I'll move the conversation over Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:18 am

rotormotored

rotormotored
Thanks for the good info, Rick G.
I don't know what the title of my next post will be but look for my name. I'd like to have you along for the ride.
Ed

14Back to top Go down   Just Another FNG Empty nice supplier Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:09 pm

okr

okr
In all my searching I never came across that one..

15Back to top Go down   Just Another FNG Empty Re: Just Another FNG Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:19 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard Ed & son - you have found a great place to help with anything "K" related Wink

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum