BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   hello from Virginia Empty hello from Virginia Sun 13 Jan - 0:18

Hello and a short introduction from this new member from Virginia !

After 10 years of motorcycling and a trip down the aisle, I gave up riding (why did I do that ??) to raise a family. Now that the kids are no longer kids, I decided it's time to get back to riding.

I traded a small trailer for an 85 K100 that ran but had been sitting for a couple of years. After dreaming of owning a BMW for about 20 years, I could not pass this deal up. Didn't know what a brick was until I saw this one, but it was love at first sight for this mechanical engineer.

After a few short rides with lots of smoke left behind I began to appreciate the task at hand in reviving this one. All things considered it ran quite well but with 60+K miles and the long pause it needs a lot of attention, and will get it from me. Dismantling bike now, taking lots of photographs in the process. Here's one of them:

hello from Virginia S-k_s_12

Engine knocks coming off idle with alternator removed; coming apart this winter. Rust on frame tail, coming off the engine for professional restoration including blasting and repaint. I've read about the spline concerns (thanks fellow posters) and have fingers crossed they are serviceable. Forks need new springs and seals. Braking system functions well but will be completely rebuilt. New Metzlers going on. Gas lines and most other functional rubber parts being replaced. With parts being generally available, I plan to do this correctly (hopefully cost-effectively also); and to have, hold, and cherish for many years. My goal is to preserve the bike and return it to a tour-worthy and safe ride.

I'll keep you posted on the progress, and thank you all much for the great resource, support, and encouragement.

2Back to top Go down   hello from Virginia Empty Re: hello from Virginia Sun 13 Jan - 1:57

10-ring

10-ring
Silver member
Silver member
HI I'm a new member to. Having a great time on fourm. Looks like you have a lot of work to do but it is so much fun when someone asks what year it is? Then the wow have fun Greg

3Back to top Go down   hello from Virginia Empty Re: hello from Virginia Sun 13 Jan - 2:25

gmcq

gmcq
Gold member
Gold member
Welcome to the forum. Lots of pics with your progrees will be appreciated by all. As for the smoke, they tend to do that after they have been on the side stand. Depending on the year, someone will point it out, the oil ring on the piston allowed oil to pass into the chamber. A stop was added in latter years that reduced the smoke a bit but not completley. Good luck with the rebuild.

GMcQ

4Back to top Go down   hello from Virginia Empty Re: hello from Virginia Sun 13 Jan - 5:39

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
It is great to have you with us and it looks like you have made an excellent start to the restoration process.
Regards,
K-BIKE

5Back to top Go down   hello from Virginia Empty Re: hello from Virginia Sun 13 Jan - 5:52

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi and welcome to the forum all the info you will need can be sourced here.

BIG D

6Back to top Go down   hello from Virginia Empty Re: hello from Virginia Sun 13 Jan - 7:03

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Welcome to the madhouse full of K-nuts, s-k.

7Back to top Go down   hello from Virginia Empty Re: hello from Virginia Sun 13 Jan - 7:54

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome SK - you will have a very serviceable tourer when you get all that done. We shall follow your progress with interest. We love to see them coming back to life.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

8Back to top Go down   hello from Virginia Empty Re: hello from Virginia Mon 14 Jan - 5:17

larrikin

larrikin
Life time member
Life time member
There's a Company near called Max BMW, they are great to deal with.

It increases my paranoia
Like lookin' at my mirror and seein' a police car

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum