BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hello from New member in Brisbane  Empty Hello from New member in Brisbane Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:39 am

Matthew-Brisbane

Matthew-Brisbane
Life time member
Life time member
Hi my name is Mat, and been introduced to the forum by Rick G.

I have been looking at the forum since getting the link and it seems very informative which is what I need.

Anyway got my First K in 1996. It is a 1986 K100rs limited edition motorsport. This means it has a pretty paint job and I got the privilege of paying extra for it.

I went away for work for a week and came home 6 month latter and have found that my bike has developed a small leak in the seam and I don’t know how to fix it. Plus a buggered battery and the Rego ran out so now it time to spend some money on the old girl.

First job will be the tank as I don’t want to be riding a fire ball down the road, nor am I game to have a go at fixing it myself as exploding hand grenades are not good for the health

This is the reason that Rick got in touch with me

Thanks for having me and look forward to asking questions, if you have read the intro you will probably know what my first question will be about

Cheers Matt Bris

Gday mate and welcome. Smile

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum....two things are against you to begin with....you are from Queensland and you know Rick. We will try to educate you.....it will take a while. Good luck with the bike.

4Back to top Go down   Hello from New member in Brisbane  Empty Hello ainsjac Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:35 am

Matthew-Brisbane

Matthew-Brisbane
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the reply

I live in Queensland I did not say that I was a queenslander

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Welcome to the forum Matthew there's plenty of good advice here. Hello from New member in Brisbane  177912

Now for you Stanley have you forgotten that cane Toads can eat up to 100 cockaroaches at a sitting. Twisted Evil

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Have a look at this place http://www.kbs-coatings.com.au/ they make some very good products.
I know of a few who used the paint for doing a frame on old bikes and it was very good but I have not heard any reports on the fuel tank liner.
As you say the internals of the outlet pipe are a concern and the Ks have a few pipes internal to the tank that one end cant be blocked but they are up high in the tank and a coating half way could be the answer.
The tank on my K1100 has been welded but before I got it and I have had to use the permatex to repair it as well as others and not had a failure. The oldest repair is 5 years.
I have been welding on and off for most of my working life and still dont like welding fuel tanks as the tank and welder don't fare well if it goes bang.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Rick G wrote:I have been welding on and off for most of my working life and still dont like welding fuel tanks as the tank and welder don't fare well if it goes bang.

I read a story of an American aircraft mechanic repairing leaking jettisonable aluminium fuel tanks (jugs) up in New Guinea during the war. He used to wave the oxy torch across the filler cap hole. A bit of flame and all was good as the vapours burnt prior to repairing the leak.

He did this quite successfuly for a while ... and then one day it did not go quite according to plan.

Guess he retired early.

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
I have always washed vessels with soapy water.....or even partially filled with water....and have also seen large lumps of metal sail across the yard when a flammable vapour had ignited....take care guys..

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

Hello from New member in Brisbane  Au-log10

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have always flooded them with CO2 if possibleor a squirt with a fire extinguisher. Worked with a guy once that had a real bad burn scar on his wrist, apparently he had his wrist above the filler hole when it burned off but didn't actually explode.

10Back to top Go down   Hello from New member in Brisbane  Empty Re: Hello from New member in Brisbane Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:36 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi Mat welcome to the forum

BIG D

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome from the Northern Hemishpere, Mat. You're in great forum company in Brisbane. Enjoy the bike and stay safe.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Welcome to the madhouse, Matt. 👽

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum Matthew Wink

14Back to top Go down   Hello from New member in Brisbane  Empty Re: Hello from New member in Brisbane Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:57 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Matthew,
Good to have you with us, the simplest and very effective way of fixing the leak is with some Permatex two part petrol sealant putty. Drain the tank and after cleaning the area with the leak push the mixed two part putty onto the leaky area and extend it past the leak press firmly in place allow to harden as per the instructions, re-fill and you are good to go. Any further issues put a post into the relevant section of the forum in case the gurus don't happen to rad the New Member posts and you miss out on their wisdom.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum