BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:14 pm

Rabidchiwawa007

Rabidchiwawa007
Platinum member
Platinum member
Well, my saddlebag broke / flew off, dumped a few cans of chili I was bringing home all over the road, and then got run over more than a few times. The plastic hinges snapped and off the cover went. I was going about 65-70 mph.

Anyone have any suggestions for aftermarket bags or where to get a replacement for that? (1992 k100rs) I'm also thinking of finding some way to put metal hinges on there because I never felt like I could trust that thin plastic hinge from the start. Also, will bags from any year K100/75 fit?

2Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:28 pm

tio Jaimito

tio Jaimito
Silver member
Silver member
Too bad about the lost Chili. I have heard about tethering the cases to the bike to prevent catastrophic luggage skitching. You can find specialty brass, or stainless Piano Hinge hardware buty you need to use small rivets to secure the hinge to the PLASTIC. I dont trust this ABS plastic. I think that these stock cases cannot handle the loads that exceed their max load capacity. And that any load limit doesnt take into effect heavy looser items that can add inertia to the problem.

UJ

Peggy's 1987 K75s Columbia Grey 9500miles 6 valve.

Saddlebag didn't like me anymore K100_m12

Saddlebag didn't like me anymore K75_po12
Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Basil_10
http://www.nachicagonorth.com

3Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:07 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yes they say there are 2 types of BMW panniers, the ones that have fallen off and the ones yet to fall off.
My wife had one commit pannierside in front of a road train and sad to say didn't live.
Your bike being an 85 would most likely have type 1 panniers with the flat key and a small flap that folds.
The panniers from all the K75/100/1100 will fit as a complete unit but lids and bases are not always interchangeable.
I have included a pic of a road train so you can imagine what was left of the pannier.
Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Winton10

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:23 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Which side is it?? I have a spare out in the shed! L/H of an 89 model. In good nick too.

OOPsss just read your location... Check This out for a spare.

5Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:35 am

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
Rick G wrote:...
I have included a pic of a road train so you can imagine what was left of the pannier...

Damn that is big, how do u get past that on a dirt road? ... you have to with all the cattle on board Smile

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

6Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:45 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Whe you see it comming you stop and get off the road and if you are on the bitumen stay well clear because if they take the foot off as they pass the back trailer can start swaying 5-6 feet either way.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

7Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:42 am

Rabidchiwawa007

Rabidchiwawa007
Platinum member
Platinum member
@ Rick G: woops, I should update that. I sold the '85 and bought a '92 16v. So it has type 3 bags. Eeek, that thing probably shattered underneath that road train.

@ tio: I was actually thinking about adding my own hinges to the bags somehow, just so that its not on a thin plastic dependency.

@ Albyalbatross1: It's the left side! All three types should fit eachother, right? If so, I'd be interested. Mine are type 3.

@ Everyone: Well, I took the bags off for now, so that I'm not riding around with one and a half, and omg the bike handles so much better (seemingly at least). I've now got myself thinking about making my own lids out of sheet metal and maybe some supporting 1/4" hollow square metal rods, using a welder for assembly. And making them a bit more streamlined, so that the front sort of angles in towards the bike a little bit so the wind isn't hitting that blunt wall of the stock bags so much. But hey, if Albyalbatross1 has something available, I'll take a look at that too. And if I do stick with stock bags, I'll put some damned hinges on em this time Razz

8Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:45 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Rick G wrote:Whe you see it comming you stop and get off the road and if you are on the bitumen stay well clear because if they take the foot off as they pass the back trailer can start swaying 5-6 feet either way.

Just check out all the dead caravans on outback roads. The Mount Garnet nickel ore trucks used to clean up a few, especilly where it was single lane. Used to jump on CB when I saw them coming and let them know they had the road. Never saw the point of arguing with a 100 tonne truck.

9Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:00 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Fortunately it will be easier to get a left pannier than a right. Don't know why but I reckon there are 3 times as many lefts than rights.
Tackler there wasn't much left but we managed to salvage 2 locks and most to the contents.

10Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:43 am

Life time member
Life time member
Rick G wrote:Fortunately it will be easier to get a left pannier than a right. Don't know why but I reckon there are 3 times as many lefts than rights.
Tackler there wasn't much left but we managed to salvage 2 locks and most to the contents.

Same with lower side panels for the RT/LT - I reckon it's because most with most dismounted drops the bike goes away from you.

"panniercide" Saddlebag didn't like me anymore 44271 Love it Rick!

I knew most Auz road users had a healthy respect for road trains but didn't understand why until you posted about the 5-6ft of sway. Wow.

Last edited by 88KE on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

11Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Rabidchiwawa007

Rabidchiwawa007
Platinum member
Platinum member
I'm sure I can figure out a way to mount these on my k100 if it's even at all possible, so I want to confirm possibility. I like those alot better, so I'd be willing to do a little modification to the bag system to make it work. Any input?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R100GS-R1100GS-R1150GS-Left-JESSE-Luggage-Saddlebag-Case-Box-Bag-Pannier-/380444449754?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5894419bda&vxp=mtr

12Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:14 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
You like "these" a lot better? Unless I'm reading the description wrong, it's a single pannier on offer. You're going to have an interesting bike if that's true. Shocked OEM on one side, a Jessie on the other! Be sure to post some pix.

13Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:59 pm

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
I've jettisoned a few saddlebags in my time. I even had the whole back side of a City Case tear out from stress once on a California freeway. It slid on it's lid to the side of the road safely, the whole inner surface missing, but the contents intact. I went back, picked it up and bungeed it to the rear of the seat, one of the few occasions I ventured out of town without using the big nylon web straps I have to secure them to the bike positively. Now I always put a strap around the outside that holds them tight to the brackets.

If you don't want to pop for stock bags, Hepco and Becker make very high quality bags using brackets very much like those used with Krauser and BMW R bike bags. And, I believe it is Seibenrock that now offers a reproduction of the old Krauser Star saddlebag with some definite improvements that fit Hepco and Becker brackets. I know one guy who finagled Krausers on an '85 K100 and they look great.

1984 K-100RS Alaska Blue w/Parelever and 16V wheels.

1984 K-100RS Metallic Madison stock

1986 R-80G/S w/1000 cc engine

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Mirage Orange w/XR1200 wheels, Race Tech, True Track, Works Performance shocks

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Vivid Black stock

1993-ish K-100/1100RT/LT hemaphrodite frankenbike thingy to be painted satin black from a rattle can eventually

14Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
In the Queensland outback there are roads with asphalt (bitumen for the mates Razz ) only one lane wide. If you want to over take you have to go off the pavement onto the hard dirt shoulder to the right. Many road train drivers will, if they see you want to pass them, use their turn signals to indicate when it's safe to pass. Those trucks are 50 meters long and 150 metric tons. They are goverened at 100 kph, or 62 mph, and most roll at every bit that speed out there. Now imagine trying to pass one, on the dirt, on a loaded R80G/S that is struggling with being over loaded and temps in the 40s centigrade.

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Mirage Orange w/XR1200 wheels, Race Tech, True Track, Works Performance shocks

1993-ish K-100/1100RT/LT hemaphrodite frankenbike thingy to be painted satin black from a rattle can eventually

15Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:30 pm

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Themason wrote:In the Queensland outback there are roads with asphalt (bitumen for the mates Razz ) only one lane wide. If you want to over take you have to go off the pavement onto the hard dirt shoulder to the right. Many road train drivers will, if they see you want to pass them, use their turn signals to indicate when it's safe to pass. Those trucks are 50 meters long and 150 metric tons. They are goverened at 100 kph, or 62 mph, and most roll at every bit that speed out there. Now imagine trying to pass one, on the dirt, on a loaded R80G/S that is struggling with being over loaded and temps in the 40s centigrade.

And throw in a few corrugations and bull dust holes, and suddenly you realise what being alive is all about. Definitely not recommended for the faint at heart. affraid

16Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:37 pm

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
Tackler wrote:
Themason wrote:In the Queensland outback there are roads with asphalt (bitumen for the mates Razz ) only one lane wide......

And throw in a few corrugations and bull dust holes, and suddenly you realise what being alive is all about. Definitely not recommended for the faint at heart. affraid

@Themason ... outback roads?... hahaha , try our outer Sydney and rural areas Smile many single or close to single lane roads which are often favoured by the bike riders.

I haven't done outback roads, I confess, but my usual approach is to hit the pub with lots of bikes parked in front and have a chat with the boys and girls ... You soon learn what hazards are in front of you ...

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

17Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:07 pm

JimK

JimK
Gold member
Gold member
Rabid...looks got some fine help....good.

Rick, Others...Holy smokes.
Counted 64? tires on the pic of road train that you sent.
Amazing.

Wonder what the police stop/spike strips would do to one of those. Laughing
Probably would not be boring.

18Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:20 pm

JimK

JimK
Gold member
Gold member
...Newbie, (me) got in traffic a month or two ago and was flagged down with folks honking and waving and pointing downwards.
Right side lid had opened and was dragging. I lost some brews out of there.
Lid now has a corner kind of smoothed off.
Wasn't the first time that I found a lid unsecured even though it looked like it was.
Now I very carefully check the latches twice when using the bags because I have found that it may look like the covers are firmly closed and latched...but may not be.
Agree about rt. side covers suffering the most.
Fact is if there is a problem with the side stand...then one still has a chance saving ...or at least softening a left side go down.
In my experience...when it (decides) Very Happy to fall down on the right...then that is going to be a harder hit on the gear.

19Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 pm

JimK

JimK
Gold member
Gold member
...didn't even think that stop strip thing thorough.

Last edited by JimK on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : deleting off subject rant :))

20Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:04 pm

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Just hijacking the thread again.

And the biggest hazard of being stuck behind a road train full of cattle is ........... the smell. Get too close and a fine mist envelopes your cycle.

Tastes like cow pooh.

Hence you have to pass them quickly..........

21Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:08 am

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
I quite like the OEM top box. Small capacity though.

If you don't like the handling with the standard pods I can't imagine it's going to be any better with JESSE's on? Haven't seen them in the flesh but they look big and square.

I reckon the OEM pods with secondary retention straps is a good way forward - will now be using on mine! Very Happy

Cheers
Dave

22Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:24 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Here is my one spare. It has no road scars. never fallen by looks of it. NO KEY!!
Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Imag0510
Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Imag0511
Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Imag0512

if you cant find one reasonable localy PM me.

23Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:23 pm

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
[quote="Ned"][quote="Tackler"][quote="Themason"]In the Queensland outback there are roads with asphalt (bitumen for the mates Razz ) only one lane wide......[/quote]

And throw in a few corrugations and bull dust holes, and suddenly you realise what being alive is all about. Definitely not recommended for the faint at heart. affraid[/quote]

@Themason ... outback roads?... hahaha , try our outer Sydney and rural areas Smile many single or close to single lane roads which are often favoured by the bike riders.

I haven't done outback roads, I confess, but my usual approach is to hit the pub with lots of bikes parked in front and have a chat with the boys and girls ... You soon learn what hazards are in front of you ...[/quote]

In the early 90's I rode an R80G/S from Cairns out to Normanton, down to Mt Isa, across to Three Ways via lovely Camoweal, and all the way south to Adelaide (Lake Eyre had water in it too) with a diversion to Uluru, then back around through Melbourn, Canberra, Sydney and up the New England Highway to Gold Coast and Brisbane before returning to Cairns. Three and half weeks on the road living out of a tank bag and a duffle, no saddlebags. Ran out of gas on the first leg (learned to never ever pass a petrol bowser, and never assume a dot with a name by it on your map implied any sort of buildings much less services) so I had to hitch hike with a truckie to the next gas stop and hitch hike back to the bike with some German tourists in a Falcon wagon, the female of which who was otherwise quite attractive had so much pubic hair it was pouring out the leg openings of her runners shorts! I got a real eyeful when she bent over to pump petrol into her car. A couple of other times I ran it down to the gas in the float bowls getting to the next petrol stop. All in all an epic ride that included the Great Ocean Road and dodging camels and emus on the Stuart Highway. Saw only one live kangaroo but lots and lots of dead ones on the road. I didn't even plan on staying in Adelaid but since my arrival just happened to coincide with a Formula One car race and some mates I encountered in a pub (ah, it's a Yank, get him a beer) were offering accomodation, what the hell. Spent four days there. Same thing in Brisbane. Good trip and great memories, but riding the outback is tough. I had toured the US and Europe but nothing had prepared me for the conditions out there. That is tough riding.

24Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:25 pm

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
[quote="JimK"]Rabid...looks got some fine help....good.

Rick, Others...Holy smokes.
Counted 64? tires on the pic of road train that you sent.
Amazing.

Wonder what the police stop/spike strips would do to one of those. Laughing
Probably would not be boring.[/quote]

Consider the cost of a tire change!

25Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty This guy's great for used stuff Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:01 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Josh at the partshaus has lots of used stuff in various kinds of condition.
He has always treated me well.
The PartsHaus
731 W Anaheim St
Long Beach, CA90813
(562) 590-4851 Joshua Buck.

26Back to top Go down   Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Empty Re: Saddlebag didn't like me anymore Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:08 am

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
I couldn't keep my bikes on the road without Josh. Is that blue K-RS the one Josh was selling a while back?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum