BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   rt intermediate fairing brackets  Empty rt intermediate fairing brackets Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:20 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
something i did the other day , which strengthened up the top main body of the fairing and to replace the metal that had cracked ....all rt riders will have experienced this at sometime i guess .

lots of rt riders notice a fair bit of moovement on the rear part of the top fairing around your knees and in fact the main screen as well ...especially at some speed and crosswinds .

which must put some stress on the lower mounts around your ankles ...and then lower ...down on the foot cover to crankcase brackets .

a few weeks ago i made up some brackets ...similar although not quite the same as the originals ...with some verry positive results .

the moovement of the fairing was cetrainly firmed up ....with little moovement around the knees section ....similarly the main fairing and screen has far less moovement ...

all in all a great result ...especially for us "bottomless " faired riders (a good fix for heat issues ..) although not pretty .

i thought to take a couple of pics as i made up some for sakson Lunchbox rider (seanii )

i used 3mm x 30 mm steel section of bar .

cut appropriatly and marked out for the angular bends required to mate up to the fairing from the mounts

rt intermediate fairing brackets  2013-030

then bent up a bit ...and appropriate holes drilled

rt intermediate fairing brackets  2013-031

the hole for the rubber cushion ...top mount point is about 18mm on the original ....but i made mine 16mm , as it was a comfortable size , in fact you will find on all those rubber cushions that there is a plastic insert inside the groove of the releif ..that is about 1mm in thickness .

at 16mm the original rubbers fit right in all nice and tight without the plastic inserts ...which firms them up anyhow

there is some final adjustments to the angles to be performed ....usually a couple of 8" or 10" shifters can be employed to get the angles "just right " ...and i might have to clean up the bolt holes around the frame mount

and then a lick of paint

but just so you know it can be done ...it isnt particually hard ...but certainly gets a good result in firming up the moovement of the fairing .

just gotta get these ones up to seanii ,when i can ...and fit them up

cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Thanks Charlie. Am really looking forward to those, I can tell you.
Very Happy

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Charlie, are you suggesting that the "bottomless" riders are not pretty?

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
lol ....not at all stan ....but if i see "you" bottomless ...im running away ....hmmm reinforced pants ordered before neranderra ....giggles

mate the bits you have done look fantastic on the "new one"

still have doubts about my mod ...but will work it out a little bit more ...radiator out to clean up internally soon

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Working with plastic or perspex or even polycarbonate makes things easier. I usually go down to the supplier where he has a $1 bin of offcuts.
No you will not see me bottomless!

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
What about leggless Stan?????

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

Stop picking on the disabled, Keef!

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Come on Sean...put the boot in, I know you get toey about it.

Well that's a disarming thing to say, Stan....

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If his wooden one was balsa it would be ok but I seem to recall him saying it was red gum.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Actually, back in the dark ages when I first started using them, legs used to me made out of willow, like a good cricket bat! Now they're all new-fangled with carbon fibre etc.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Saxon7 wrote:Actually, back in the dark ages when I first started using them, legs used to me made out of willow, like a good cricket bat! Now they're all new-fangled with carbon fibre etc.
I suppose using willow would be enviromental vandalism now days so they
just burn all the old car tyres to get the carbon for the fibres

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
when asking my brother why he wasnt going swimming at byron one year ....he reminded me that his artificial leg cost more than the car he drove up in ...and he wasnt going to put it in the sea anytime soon ...

14Back to top Go down   rt intermediate fairing brackets  Empty Re: rt intermediate fairing brackets Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:27 pm

It's very easy to spend $20,000 on a leg.
Hmm...that doesn't sound quite right does it,....

15Back to top Go down   rt intermediate fairing brackets  Empty Re: rt intermediate fairing brackets Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:43 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Think of it this way...you only have to wax or shave one leg.

16Back to top Go down   rt intermediate fairing brackets  Empty Re: rt intermediate fairing brackets Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:58 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Costs an arm and a leg holy smoke now I know how much that can be. Very Happy

17Back to top Go down   rt intermediate fairing brackets  Empty Re: rt intermediate fairing brackets Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:23 pm

True Stan, but I also have to regularly maintain the hydraulics in my knee.... :pirat: Going down to Tamworth to do that tomorrow in fact...let's hope the weather improves and then Bella and I will go on the bike.
That's just for the leg, Rick. affraid

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Like all good folk on this forum, we need pictures.....one of your parts costing more than parts for the bike! What is the "lifespan" of a leg like that? I know if someone has a knee replacement there is a life of about 15 years for the joint. Amazing how much wear and tear our bodies take, more amazing how many ks our Ks do without major replacements.

The K bike engine is an amazing thing. 234,000km on mine now....that would be approximately 6 rebuilds on my old Triumph.
A prosthetic leg is good for 1 to 5 years. Not a very cheap hobby really.

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Bloody hell...is that all? At that price you would expect more. If someone stole your leg, I could see that you would be very angry, in fact...hopping mad.

Themason

Themason
Gold member
Gold member
Engine vibration does those in. Same to a lesser degree on RSs. Keep the rubber isolators fresh and all your fairing panels nice and tight.

1984 K-100RS Alaska Blue w/Parelever and 16V wheels.

1984 K-100RS Metallic Madison stock

1986 R-80G/S w/1000 cc engine

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Mirage Orange w/XR1200 wheels, Race Tech, True Track, Works Performance shocks

2007 Harley Davidson Street Rod Vivid Black stock

1993-ish K-100/1100RT/LT hemaphrodite frankenbike thingy to be painted satin black from a rattle can eventually

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"hopping mad"

Now that was bloody funny! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum