BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Petrol resistant lacquer Empty Petrol resistant lacquer Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:56 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
A few months ago I painted a petrol tank cap blue to go on my two-tone blue solo. However I've been reluctant to fit it, in case the paint reacts with today's petrol concoction.

Today, quite by accident, I came across this product in a local store that deals in surplus stock, flood and smoke damaged goods, and anything else that comes along: all at cheap prices. The Halfords name had been blocked out with felt-tip pen (as with everything they get from Halfords) but it's still obvious from where it originated. So, I pulled the cap apart again and it's already had it's three coats of petrol resistant lacquer. It differs from the usual clear lacquer in that coats should be at 15 minute intervals and should not be recoated after 1 hour, so it must have some sort of chemical curing process.

Petrol resistant lacquer Sam_0610

Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks before I can cut it back to a fine polished finish and then replace my old 'push button' type cap that always drips water into the tank after it's been raining.
At the least, it's nice to know that such products exist and I'll report back if it doesn't work.
Paul.

2Back to top Go down   Petrol resistant lacquer Empty Re: Petrol resistant lacquer Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:18 pm

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
That stuff works well Paul. I used it couple of months ago when I resprayed the tank on a mate's bike. Like you say, application isn't as straight forward as normal clear coat but the end result looks the same.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum