BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty Greetings from South Africa Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:06 pm

gunsports

gunsports
Silver member
Silver member
Here’s my baby ....
Greetings from South Africa Brits-11
Greetings from South Africa Brits-12

Till two weeks ago, I did not even know ‘Bricks’ existed –
till a good friend offered me his for a very reasonable price. It is a ’84 Euro
spec K100 with 70-odd thousand kilo’s on the clock.

I will be the third owner. The first bought it as a
retirement gift to himself and enjoyed a few year’s riding, till he took up the
battle with the big C; which he lost in the end. The bike ended up in storage
for some 15 years while he battled his illness and his family decided what to
do with the bike.

My friend bought it two years ago and had it completely
serviced after its long hibernation. He and the missus made it their ‘Sunday’
bike till his son-in-law had a bad accident on his bike; when he decided to
hang up his riding boots.

I’ve not had a leg over a bike in 30 years. So, I’ll be
taking it very easy at first; till I get my ‘wheels’ back. Then this brick will
become my ‘Sunday’ bike.

She is not without issues: the centre stand bolts sheared and
needs to be repaired. The speedo has been US for a few months and I’m told if
you really hammer it in second, she pops out of gear. But she’s ok with
civilised riding.

Otherwise, she’s mint. Not a scratch and she’s never been in
a scrape – not even fallen over.

As of now, I’m waiting for the transporters to get her down
to me and I must admit; I’m very excited.

After I bought the brick, I trawled the Internet for
information and was amazed at the near cult status these bikes enjoy. Seems I’m
into a good one here...

Regards

Glen

2Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty Welcome to the group Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:36 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I'd sure like to know more about those saddlebags. They look like the could be Vetter's? Can you get a full face helmet in them
regards, ibjman

3Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty Re: Greetings from South Africa Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:45 pm

gunsports

gunsports
Silver member
Silver member
ibjman wrote:I'd sure like to know more about those saddlebags. They look like the could be Vetter's? Can you get a full face helmet in them
regards, ibjman
I have no idea. I know the top box takes two helmets and then some more. The side saddles apparently are very big and wide. Will look see when the bike arrives.

4Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty Re: Greetings from South Africa Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:39 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hi Glen welcome to the Knuthaus.
The panniers look like Krausers that were made for Kawasaki and used on their US made Z1300 and Z1100 concourse bikes in the early 80s. I cant get a good look at the topbox but I think it is also a Krauser but made for general consumption.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty Thanks Rick Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:06 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I wonder how they're hooked on/mounted? I guess we'll just have to wait till he gets the bike so he can find out?
I don't think they look 1/2 bad. How do you think they'd look on my rs?
I absolutely hate the fact that I can't just get off on local trips, toss the hat in the bag & be on my way. You may have seen my original post on trying to stretch a set of lids.....that's still in process till I find a right side scratched up lid to test fit with.
Also, It's getting close to time to head for the BMW rally.....I'm gonna need to make some choices for a tank bag. I have a universal one but I'm not sure how they are generally attached especially at the front. It didn't seem right when I just had a strap tied around the steering stem. I'm thinking I should take the tank off to fasten the strap at the front around the backbone above the IGN module then loop it forward & up around the front edge of the tank.........similarly....fasten the side straps on the side frame tubes & then down around the sides of the tank and on up to the bag?
Seems like it would be much better if I could find an original BMW K100 tank bag with custom fit fasteners. I've never seen one that fits right.
Tell me, please what you think

6Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty Re: Greetings from South Africa Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:11 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome ffrom the Emerald Isle Glen. I like the naked bikes ....more pics please when you get time, Enjoy the forum, lots of knowledge to help you on here.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

7Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty Re: Greetings from South Africa Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:51 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The fittings to the Kawasakis were standard Krauser fittings and you could get the Krauser for a K so I would presume the fittings were standard Krauser. They are an enormous panier and topbox as Kawasaki were trying to go into competition with the Honda Goldwing. Needless to say they didnt succeed just as all the comers haven't.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

8Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty could they be Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:16 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Could they be these?
Greetings from South Africa Vetter10

9Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty Re: Greetings from South Africa Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:01 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yes the panniers but not the rest.

10Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty too hard Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:57 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
It'd be tough enough to get a set of these in good shape.....even harder to find a set of K brackets to match.
probably not worth the effort

11Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty Re: Greetings from South Africa Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:27 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
welcome Glen, beaut looking bike.
you should enjoy many a Sunday ride with the new K.
luggage appears to be plenty ample, probably a bit much for sundays,
you'll have to extend the ride a tad further to get some benefits from them.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Greetings from South Africa 10_x_110

12Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty Re: Greetings from South Africa Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:45 am

gunsports

gunsports
Silver member
Silver member
The nice
thing about waiting for your new bike is all the planning and dreaming one can
do in the mean time. BTW; the bike will
be here on Friday afternoon. Cannot wait …

In the mean
time, here is some of my ‘to do’ list:

First, I
need to get sorted on the technical details. This means buying or down loading
every bit of technical info I can get on these bikes. Manuals, service bulletins
etc., is a must. Any advice and pointers perhaps?

Then, a good
and thorough service: I have no idea what has, or has not been done to the bike
in the past. I plan to, as recommended by Ted over at ‘Ted’s House’, to
establish a’ Maintenance Foundation’ for the bike; in other words: a damn good
service. Then I want to look at all the rubber stuff: seals, ‘O’ rings and
gaskets. After all, the bike is going on 30 years! After this, I plan a spline
lube, a chain service and also, attend to the 2nd gear kicking out
under hard acceleration.

Off course,
the centre stand will be repaired and re fitted. Fortunately, I have access to
a machine shop, with lathes, milling machines and an advanced welding setup (I
am a gunsmith by trade.). Also, I have a friend locally who has an engineering
shop, and who works on just about every BMW in the area. He is totally familiar
with the ‘K’ bikes, having re built one or two of them in the past.

Then some
modifications: I plan to fit a GPS to the bike. I have an old Garmin V that I
plan to mount. Not needed, but it looks nice. This bike is ‘naked’ so, there is
no power socket. But, the previous owner said there was a power socket fitted
under the seat for powering a GPS; installed by the first owner; which he
removed. That one took power off the fuse box. Another suggestion was that I
use one of the switch blanks on the instrument cluster for a power socket. What
do you guys suggest? Also, in your experience: where is the best position for
the GPS unit? Mounted on the handle bar or somewhere else? The GPS mounting
bracket I can modify to any configuration needed.

Then, riding
lights: I’ve noticed some neat one’s fitted to new BMW bikes: These are LED units
and very bright. Our laws demand ‘lights on with ignition’, so these are a
must. White in front and red at the rear. Luckily, I have a client who services
the light bars on emergency and police vehicles, so I have a ready source of
some amazing LED units.

Other than
that; I will keep the bike stock. I am told the panniers and top box are not
BMW, but some ‘other German make’, modified to fit the bike. These look neat
and I plan to keep then on the bike. Admittedly, not really needed for a ‘Sunday’
ride; but then: you don’t know my hairy one (GF). The kitchen sink is the least
of my worries.

Lastly; some
training: My cousin is the chief provincial (State) traffic chief (nice guy to
have as family!) and he has done just about every advanced bike driving course
there is. He’s agreed to ‘take me in hand’ so he ‘doesn’t need to scrape me off
the tarmac’ (his words).

In our area,
we have some of the best rides in all of the country. Most are short distance;
the longest about 150k’s one way. But, we have it all: Spectacular mountain
passes, breathtaking scenery, well maintained roads and light traffic. In fact,
we have thousands of riders from Europe flying down to Cape Town, hiring either
Harley’s or BMW’s; have them brought down here on trailer and then riding our
local routes. A local joke: On any given day; we have more Harley’s and BMW’s
in town than Vuka’s! (Cheap Chinese scooters.)

Oh, and with
the bike, I got a complete set of leathers (His and hers) and two Bell full
face helmets. Factoring in the new cost of this, I paid about Stg 200 for the
bike! Not bad!

Ok, I’ll
shut up for now ….

13Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty Re: Greetings from South Africa Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:39 pm

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
Hi gunsports, on the front page of Portal you find a heading" You just bought a used K100, so what now",
all you ever want as a newbie is there, later when you have enough posts, on request you will be given access to much more, including repair manuals. There is a treasure of info here.
I lived in SA for many years and am familiar with all that you talk of, I miss the open roads also seems as you don't have strict speed limits any more no wonder the boys are heading that way.

Lekker bly en Lekker ry Greetings from South Africa 22936

92 K 1100 LT  6455097 (gone)

14Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty Re: Greetings from South Africa Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:01 am

gunsports

gunsports
Silver member
Silver member
Got a call from the bike transport company this morning. They got delayed in Botswana; so my bike can only be collected next week. Damn; this is so frustrating ....

15Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty Re: Greetings from South Africa Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:20 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome from the UK Wink

16Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty Re: Greetings from South Africa Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:20 pm

gunsports

gunsports
Silver member
Silver member
Bike arrived this afternoon - in pouring rain. Delivered to my shop, it was a bit of a mission getting it home and into the garage. There it will stay till tomorrow, when I will have a detailed look at it. So far, it is everything it was told, and a lot more ....

17Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty Re: Greetings from South Africa Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:03 pm

gunsports

gunsports
Silver member
Silver member
This morning it stopped raining and I had the chance to go look over the bike. Yesterday, when it was delivered, it was pouring and not having ridden in 30 years, was not about to try riding a strange bike in the rain and in traffic. So, my Traffic Chief cousin was roped in to do the job. He was quite happy with the bike; yet mentioned that the clutch takes far out and is ‘sharp’. Also he said: go slow on the gas; this bike is very fast.

When the bike was loaded for transport, the previous owner said that; after the bike was strapped down on the trailer; some water was seen dripping from the bike. When it arrived, we checked the cooling hoses and the expansion tank, but saw nothing obvious.  The water level was at the minimum mark in the expansion tank and I filled it to the maximum level with distilled water. When Gerald brought the bike home and parked it, water was again seen to pool under the bike; but this was about an egg cup full and on checking the expansion tank, I saw the water level was again at the minimum level. The bike ran for a few kilometres on the ride home. On checking the bike this morning, no additional water had seeped out and the level was still at minimum.

This morning I cleaned the bike a little. It was filthy from the trip and along the way, they had passed the scene where a cement truck had up ended and dumped its load on the road. This, with rain and you can imagine what the bike looked like.

Cleaning the bike; apart from removing the cement, gave me the chance to examine the bike up close. Now, I am no expert on bikes so; please excuse my ignorance in posting my ‘observations’ for comment.

Bodywork: Overall, the body work is in great shape. There are a few stone chips and light scratches, but none are serious. I examined the foot rests, rims and engine. There appears no damage from these parts scraping on the ground. However, the fitting of the side panniers (Vettel) on the bike was a home job: a combination of brackets, wing nuts, cable ties and prayer. The right side pannier frame is pretty much chewed up and is broken as per the picture below. I tossed the side panniers till I can fix the frame and make proper mounting hardware for these things to fit.

Greetings from South Africa Bracke12

Now a question: What glue can one use to repair this part or should it be tossed and replaced. Bearing in mind that BMW cycle parts are VERY expensive over here.

Engine:  I do not plan on scratching in/on the engine till I know much more about the bike. However, I have noticed that the black pipe on the front right of the engine (in the picture, looks like a crash bar) is mounted on two rubber bushings. The front one is loose. Is this an urgent repair or could it be left as is for now?

Greetings from South Africa Pipe10

I started the bike this morning without using the choke. It was 5 degrees outside and although the engine took immediately; the revs were about 900 – 950 and for the first couple of seconds, it sounded as if each part in the engine was fighting each other. I timed it and in less than a minute, the motor settled down and was idling smoothly. The mixture did smell strong though – one could definitely smell unburned petrol. Is this normal? I did not rev the engine till the seemed a little warmer and then the rev’s climbed smoothly. (3000 max)

There is no evidence of oil leaks, save for this. Is this something to be worried about?

Greetings from South Africa Oil10

In the same picture above, you will see the wet spot, under the expansion tank, where the water, mentioned earlier, is running out. There are water and petrol pipes in this area and I don’t want to take the bike on the road till I am sure there is no need for concern re the water. All the pipes seem sound and, although I did not disassemble the bike here, all the pipes and fittings seem to be sound. Should I be concerned?

Now, here is the puzzle: Just at the junction of the back brake fitting, there is a pipe with a little fitting hanging loose. This looks out of place. What is it and what is it doing there? (Picture below)

Greetings from South Africa Append10

Brakes: The red triangle warning light comes on when you start the bike. I was told that; after riding a couple of meters: touch the front brake and the back, and the light will go off. It does. Is this normal? The brake disks look ok up front. But on the inside back brake; the disk is a little scoured. (Picture below)

Greetings from South Africa Disk10

Advice please.

Instruments:

Greetings from South Africa Speedo10

The LCD window for the gear selector is a little damaged; although one can still see most of the numeral. Can this LCD be replaced, or does the whole f the speedo need replacement?

The panel below the instrument cluster has a hole in it, which has broken through. Can this be repaired? The switches BYW; are dummies.

Smoking: The bike is without its centre stand (for now). If parked on the side stand, it smokes a little when first started, but the smoke goes away in about a minute. I read on the site that this is normal. I checked by holding the bike upright for about 10 seconds before switching off and this seems to eliminate the start up smoke. I have not taken the bike on a long run to see if she smokes; waiting for the weather to clear.

Please pardon all the questions. But, I rather ask silly questions than face expensive repair bills.

Glen

18Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty Re: Greetings from South Africa Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:14 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Welcome Glen.

Seems you have purchased a perfectly functioning brick.
Water from the expansion tank could be a hole in the tank or the hose?

That is all I have.
Enjoy

rosscorossco

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

19Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty Re: Greetings from South Africa Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:17 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
gunsports wrote:This morning it stopped raining and I had the chance to go look over the bike. Yesterday, when it was delivered, it was pouring and not having ridden in 30 years, was not about to try riding a strange bike in the rain and in traffic. So, my Traffic Chief cousin was roped in to do the job. He was quite happy with the bike; yet mentioned that the clutch takes far out and is ‘sharp’. Also he said: go slow on the gas; this bike is very fast.

When the bike was loaded for transport, the previous owner said that; after the bike was strapped down on the trailer; some water was seen dripping from the bike. When it arrived, we checked the cooling hoses and the expansion tank, but saw nothing obvious.  The water level was at the minimum mark in the expansion tank and I filled it to the maximum level with distilled water. When Gerald brought the bike home and parked it, water was again seen to pool under the bike; but this was about an egg cup full and on checking the expansion tank, I saw the water level was again at the minimum level. The bike ran for a few kilometres on the ride home. On checking the bike this morning, no additional water had seeped out and the level was still at minimum.

When the bike has been out in the rain, water can collect on top of the engine, putting it on the sidestand allows it to drain.  This is probably some of it.

This morning I cleaned the bike a little. It was filthy from the trip and along the way, they had passed the scene where a cement truck had up ended and dumped its load on the road. This, with rain and you can imagine what the bike looked like.

Cleaning the bike; apart from removing the cement, gave me the chance to examine the bike up close. Now, I am no expert on bikes so; please excuse my ignorance in posting my ‘observations’ for comment.

Bodywork: Overall, the body work is in great shape. There are a few stone chips and light scratches, but none are serious. I examined the foot rests, rims and engine. There appears no damage from these parts scraping on the ground. However, the fitting of the side panniers (Vettel) on the bike was a home job: a combination of brackets, wing nuts, cable ties and prayer. The right side pannier frame is pretty much chewed up and is broken as per the picture below. I tossed the side panniers till I can fix the frame and make proper mounting hardware for these things to fit.

Greetings from South Africa Bracke12

Now a question: What glue can one use to repair this part or should it be tossed and replaced. Bearing in mind that BMW cycle parts are VERY expensive over here.

I'd replace them, if you were to repair them, you would have to glue a splint across the back to keep some strength in the repair.

Engine:  I do not plan on scratching in/on the engine till I know much more about the bike. However, I have noticed that the black pipe on the front right of the engine (in the picture, looks like a crash bar) is mounted on two rubber bushings. The front one is loose. Is this an urgent repair or could it be left as is for now?

Greetings from South Africa Pipe10

The lower mounts are bonded to the backing with rubber, if one has given way I've no idea what you would glue it back with. You would have to remove the mount first to attempt it I'd think.

I started the bike this morning without using the choke. It was 5 degrees outside and although the engine took immediately; the revs were about 900 – 950 and for the first couple of seconds, it sounded as if each part in the engine was fighting each other. I timed it and in less than a minute, the motor settled down and was idling smoothly. The mixture did smell strong though – one could definitely smell unburned petrol. Is this normal? I did not rev the engine till the seemed a little warmer and then the rev’s climbed smoothly. (3000 max)

Normal behaviour, if you use the choke (just a fast idle really) it will run smoother for you.

There is no evidence of oil leaks, save for this. Is this something to be worried about?

Greetings from South Africa Oil10

Normal

In the same picture above, you will see the wet spot, under the expansion tank, where the water, mentioned earlier, is running out. There are water and petrol pipes in this area and I don’t want to take the bike on the road till I am sure there is no need for concern re the water. All the pipes seem sound and, although I did not disassemble the bike here, all the pipes and fittings seem to be sound. Should I be concerned?

Further investigation required

Now, here is the puzzle: Just at the junction of the back brake fitting, there is a pipe with a little fitting hanging loose. This looks out of place. What is it and what is it doing there? (Picture below)

Greetings from South Africa Append10

No idea

Brakes: The red triangle warning light comes on when you start the bike. I was told that; after riding a couple of meters: touch the front brake and the back, and the light will go off. It does. Is this normal?

Yes, its a test circuit to check that your rear brake light is working. If the triangle light doesn't go out, your brake light is not working

The brake disks look ok up front. But on the inside back brake; the disk is a little scoured. (Picture below)

Greetings from South Africa Disk10

Disk looks thin, might need replacement

Advice please.

Instruments:

Greetings from South Africa Speedo10

The LCD window for the gear selector is a little damaged; although one can still see most of the numeral. Can this LCD be replaced, or does the whole f the speedo need replacement?

LCD can be replaced if you can find a replacement

The panel below the instrument cluster has a hole in it, which has broken through. Can this be repaired? The switches BYW; are dummies.

Smoking: The bike is without its centre stand (for now). If parked on the side stand, it smokes a little when first started, but the smoke goes away in about a minute. I read on the site that this is normal. I checked by holding the bike upright for about 10 seconds before switching off and this seems to eliminate the start up smoke. I have not taken the bike on a long run to see if she smokes; waiting for the weather to clear.

Normal K series behaviour, oil is drawn down the bore as the combustion chambers cool.

Please pardon all the questions. But, I rather ask silly questions than face expensive repair bills.

Glen

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Greetings from South Africa K-dogs10

20Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty Re: Greetings from South Africa Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:42 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would say a sound bike with some of the usual problems from wear and tear, appearance wise in fairly good condition for its near 30 years.
Have a look at the portal page and follow the link to "you have just got a K100 so what now" thread for some good info for new owners.

21Back to top Go down   Greetings from South Africa Empty Re: Greetings from South Africa Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:45 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi there great to have you with us, any questions post them in the relevant section rather than the welcome page not all the gurus read the welcome page so you could miss getting good advice.

For someone returning to riding taking the bags and top box is a good idea our bikes are heavy and tend to be top heavy (but only when stationary). When you start off and come to a stop be very sure of your footing, loose gravel can be a curse if your leg is a bit far out and the bike starts to lean that way. I don't want to frighten you just that many of us me included have been there done that and fixed up the scratches after. They are a fantastic bike to ride.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum