BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Greetings from South East Queensland Empty Greetings from South East Queensland Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:57 pm

Jhepburn

Jhepburn
Silver member
Silver member
Greetings and salutations,

I have just found myself a very sweet 1985 K100RS with a touch under 57,000km on the clock. I was driven to a new bike by the realisation that I was wearing out my Yamaha XJ600, and drawn to the K series by a process that started with an off-hand comment, progressed through interest, intrigue, research, admiration, consideration and finally shopping. My partner (Yamaha TDM900, contemplating a GS) and I do a lot of long rides, the occasional camping and rally, and I really loved what I was reading from early road tests and recent reviews, particularly the engineering and reliability, and the surprising levels of road-holding and handling. Plus, the way it was put together - accessible engine, weight low, minimal sub-frames, shaft-drive - really piqued my interest.

So, I made arrangements to meet with a couple of owners who were selling their bikes privately. The first one was an RS, and I fell in love with it after two corners and a straight. I even got used to the indicators quickly. The second one was an RT. It had a couple of issues - horribly squeaking front brakes, handling not as comfortable - but it just wasn't my bike. The riding position was too upright for me, the fairing just too much. The RS was on the edge of being as big as I would consider owning, and it fit me beautifully.

So, I bought that first one I rode. It came with original panniers and a couple of spare hinges, original tank-bag, original toolkit including now-useless touch-up paint and mostly useless puncture repair kit, owner's manual and cover. It has been dropped once on each side, but the only visible damage is some scratches to the bottom corner of each side of the engine casing, and the fairing has been repaired and repainted a pale grey which is probably the closest that someone on a budget could get to the original, BMW-patented, metallic blue-grey.

Hermann (all bikes need a name) is my main transport. He was always going to be, but then my care decided to start breaking, so now it's Hermann or borrow my girlfriend's car. He has been absolutely faultless. The previous owner told me that the injectors would need cleaning soon, but I suspect he was putting ordinary petrol in. I've been using premium, and he seems to have improved slightly.

I need to replace two bulbs in the instrument, and the other day the right mirror fell out of its housing. No warning, just fell out. I have a replacement, and will fit it when I get enough time (I think I have a weekend free in December) to do a service.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum,
One of the reasons for the mirror dropping out is previous owners not putting the clip in place to anchor the mirror into it's housing. That must be in place otherwise the mirror will drop out as I found. It is also worth buying or making some tethers in case you knock a mirror off any time BTDT!

Have a read of the article in the forum http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/electrical-f8/led-lights-in-the-instrument-pod-plus-sealing-out-the-moisture-t223.htm
Regards,
K-BIKE

Jhepburn

Jhepburn
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks, K-BIKE. When I saw the photo on the Munich Motorcycles website, I thought "that looks like a clip..." and sure enough, when it arrived, it was clearly a clip.

Taking the faring and mirror housings off is not a job I'm looking forward to, but at least a K fairing is sturdy enough to not break as easily as the Yamaha's already had!

I'm willing to try taking the pod off without removing the fairing, but I also have a brand new windscreen that the previous owner hadn't gotten around to fitting, quite apart from needing to get to the air filter.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum