BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jwetering

jwetering
I started riding almost three years ago now and honestly wonder why I waited as long as I did (I'm 48 now). Actually I know exactly why. I have a lead foot and I was keenly aware that a mistake at speed on two wheels is whole lot more serious than the same mistake on two wheels.

Nevertheless from the first moment I climbed aboard an old Suzuki GS550 - I was hooked. Riding felt as natural as walking to me - and maybe even more so because I could go a lot faster.

Anyhoo - I was lucky when I started riding that I needed a bike quick because my good friends - who had been riding a while - had planned an annual weekend tour and I wasn't about to miss another one of those.

Scouring the local Craigslist I could find only one BMW for sale - and I had decided long ago that I would be riding a BMW on account of my German machinery fixation.

The bike was a 1990 K75S in Marakesh red.

The bike and I have been fast friends for two and a half years now. I fixed the output shaft o-ring, I put a clutch in it, I replaced the hall sensors recently - and I rebuilt the front forks and some bodywork on account of I rode into the back of a Honda Civic. Not at high speed - I just wasn't paying attention.

Just last week I picked up a 1989 K100RT - which is why I am here. It has an electrical issue - actually two - one of which I think I fixed. I'll post up in the electrical forum because I have some questions.

Thanks in advance for you help.

jasper

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hi Jasper welcome to the Knuthaus

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Jasper. Are you anywhere close to the BC Beemers? They have a fine rally in Nakusp....

jwetering

jwetering
brickrider wrote:Welcome Jasper.  Are you anywhere close to the BC Beemers? They have a fine rally in Nakusp....

I am close yes, but work, young family, school, and this wrenching habit prevent me from hanging out with them for now.

Cheers

mawhera

mawhera
Gold member
Gold member
Welcome from K iwi land Jasper, sounds like you are making progress and well versed in the Ks already. Good luck with the faults, the forum will help.

Rick
K IWI land
New Zealand

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome jasper ...good luck with the bikes ..
happy riding ol mate

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard Jasper - the guys here will get you on the right road soon enough Wink

jwetering

jwetering
Thanks guys.

As it happens I am out of the woods. I am pretty sure hhe electrical issue with the K100 was resolved when I rewired the harness. The rewiring I did in the gauges may or may not have made a difference.

I rode the K100 for a few days and was quite liking the torque and the handling but yesterday I sold it to a local K-bike collector. He has two K1 bikes! Two K75 a K1600 a R1000RS, and a big Yamaha sport bike. A good home in other words.

Meanwhile, I have the gearbox off the K75s so I can re-lube the clutch splines. I didn't put enough lube on when I replaced the clutch two years ago and I have finally noticed the difficulty with changing gears which I knew was coming.

Truth is, I have the K75 for sale as well. I have it in my head that I want a R1100S. I will be testing one this weekend, and we'll see I guess.

I can't imagine selling it actually.

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard Jasper, you will make good friends here. The RT you just bought, was that the one blowing the #1 fuse, on CL? I had half a mind to follow that one up, but the other half of my mind reminded me SHMBO would surely frown upon a THIRD Bimmer in the fleet... (did that two summers ago, barely made it out alive). I take it you have aquianted yourself with Shails?

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

jwetering

jwetering
club_c wrote:Welcome aboard Jasper, you will make good friends here.  The RT you just bought, was that the one blowing the #1 fuse, on CL?  I had half a mind to follow that one up, but the other half of my mind reminded me SHMBO would surely frown upon a THIRD Bimmer in the fleet... (did that two summers ago, barely made it out alive).  I take it you have aquianted yourself with Shails?

That was the one, yes. Was a nice bike actually. It cleaned up well.

I do know Shail, but not well. I do *all* of my own maintenance so Shail is there mostly for emergency parts supply for me. Great guy and wonderful resource for the communitty, but not exactly a low cost option.

I just don't like other peple working on my equipment. That goes for my Porsche as well.

Clutch splines were finished last night. I learned I could use a new clutch cable .
Cheers

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Good to have you with us but not sure about the plan for a 50% cut in cylinder numbers :-)
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum