BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Shark Helmets Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:36 am

larrikin

larrikin
Life time member
Life time member
I had to go to the RMS today to get the Rego on me bike. While I was there I saw a Flier on bike helmets. It list the top 31 for safety and comfort. Shark has 2 in the top 5, with the Evoline #1. It got 4 Stars out of 5 for protection and 3 out 5 for comfort (the Tester must have a weird shaped head because mine is very comfortable).

The interesting thing was Companies like AGV, Nolan and Shoie were not in the top five.

It increases my paranoia
Like lookin' at my mirror and seein' a police car

2Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:52 am

LWT_Big_Cheese

LWT_Big_Cheese
Silver member
Silver member
I've been wearing a Shoei open face for a couple of years.

My wife wants to go on the back again so I bought a flip-front Shoei at the weekend.

Wore it to work this morning for the first time.semms to work fine. Bludy expensive though. I'm sure these things are priced high because no one wasnt to skimp on a helmet do they?

Oh and the front folds my beard in half, so I have helmet-hair AND helmet-beard when I get to work!

No warranty implied or given.

May contain nuts

3Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:24 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
there are oval heads and round heads. Depending what you have different helmets will be more comfortable. I can wear a Shoei, I can wear BMW helmets, I can wear HJC. I have a Shark Evoline that I don't wear anymore because it gives me a headache if I wear it for an hour or more(pressure on the centre of my forehead), otherwise its a nice helmet.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Shark Helmets K-dogs10

4Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:26 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Every helmet I have ever had has pushed on my forehead, I put a thin piece of foam rubber in the top under the lining, about 1/4 inch, and it does the trick just fine.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:50 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
Larrakin, I'm still happy with my AGV, fits snug , but due for an upgrade.
I've spent some time recently checking out the Shark Evoline #1 and #3.
I favoured the #3 as it came with the added feature of the jaw piece flipping all the way to the rear, and becoming a part of the styling,
at the same time leaving the visor in the front.
Shark Helmets Th_110
the #3 also came out with some reasonable graphix , including glow in the dark.
Shark Helmets Th10

Al , which one do you have, are you looking for a buyer?

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Shark Helmets 10_x_110

6Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:15 am

LWT_Big_Cheese

LWT_Big_Cheese
Silver member
Silver member
I thnk that may be the one I tried on yesterday.

It felt less substantial to the Shoei and also the chin bit took a hell of a yank to get it back over. I wanted to like it as I think coming from an open face it would be ideal to travel with the chin peice to the rear in London traffic, pulling it forward when getting to the motorway.

But I bought a Neotec instead. It felt snugger and more robust.

May contain nuts

7Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:31 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
LWT_Big_Cheese wrote:

Oh and the front folds my beard in half, so I have helmet-hair AND helmet-beard when I get to work!

So that avatar isn't of you?

Disappointed I must say.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

8Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:20 am

LWT_Big_Cheese

LWT_Big_Cheese
Silver member
Silver member
Of course it's me.

I shave at the weekend and get called Brenda.

May contain nuts

9Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:23 am

These all look very flash compared to my $60 ebay helmet Smile

10Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:08 am

larrikin

larrikin
Life time member
Life time member
I have an Evoline #1. The Chin piece on all Evolines go all the way back. Unlike the BMW that stop at the top and acts like a giant airbrake. It almost rips ya head off.

I am looking at getting an Evoline #3 soon.

It increases my paranoia

11Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:10 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
Larrakin , when you next look at them , let me know if it was the internal padding around the ears that may have been the upgrade, for those with specs.
I thought it was the jaw piece.
As you say , the jaw piece can be a real hazard, especially when in the vertical position, and at a moderate pace.
I've used my Wife's flip up a couple of times on long trips, and it tends to over balance the head a bit.
good luck with your purchase, we appreciate any feedback when you get a chance.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Shark Helmets 10_x_110

12Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:34 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
The only flip front that has been designed to be ridden with the front open is the Shark Evoline. The others are not meant to be worn while riding with the chinpiece open.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Shark Helmets K-dogs10

13Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty shark helmet Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:01 am

elle

elle
Silver member
Silver member
hi wife had a shark full face and did nothing but complain about the whistling even when vent was closed. She then went back to Shoei. Just throwing that in
pete

14Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:43 am

LWT_Big_Cheese

LWT_Big_Cheese
Silver member
Silver member
AL-58 wrote: The others are not meant to be worn while riding with the chinpiece open.

Al

I hadn't realised that. Mind you I still will...

May contain nuts

15Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:17 pm

Corkboy

Corkboy
Life time member
Life time member
I have a shark evoline as well. Very pleased with it.

It is the version 1, and when I realised that they had upgraded the design, making the sunvisor a bit longer I gave them a call. The sunvisor ended just at eyelevel on the transalp.

No problem, they said, send it back to us. For £40 they upgraded the visor and closing mechanism, and did a full service on the helmet.

I love it as, as has been stated, it is the only flip up helmet to be approved for both open and closed use while riding (except for the boxer - a French helmet that I haven't seen for sale anywere else).

I use it as an open face on the transalp, and a closed helmet on the K, or if it is raining.

I've had no complaints on the fit or noise.

I really like the luminous new one - very TRON-like.

Regards,
Corkboy.

Corkboy '87 K100RS SE (The black one - one of the two bikes I'm sorry I sold)
             '87 K100RS 0140995 (Gone)
             '97 K1100LT 0188024 (Gone)
             '08 K1200GT Wedge - but still a K
             '08 Transalp 700

16Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:29 am

I shot down this arvo to have a look at these helmets. I found the shark and Rjays helmets seem to be made for people with pointed heads Smile None of them fitted me properly. The Bell Revolver EVO did so I ended up with one of them. I can now retire the $60 ebay job.

17Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:18 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I seem to average a new helmet about every 3 years and haven't had an open face since about 1970-71 when I bought a fullface shoei when they were first released. The guy in the bike shop said what do you reckon about these and I went for a ride round the block, came back and paid him $60 for it and my mate I used to ride with tried it that afternoon when I arrived home and went straight to the bike shop next day and bought the other one he had. Far as I'm concerned open face helmets were then obsolete.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

18Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:21 am

LWT_Big_Cheese

LWT_Big_Cheese
Silver member
Silver member
Wearing a full-face is like wearing a car on your head!

But they have their place commuting 70 miles a day in trafffic...

May contain nuts

19Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:35 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Well as ugly as it is I like my face just where it is and not spread along 60 yards of road. A helmet open or full face has never removed any of the joy I have had from riding for the last 46 years I always wore one even before they became compulsory.

20Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:25 am

LWT_Big_Cheese

LWT_Big_Cheese
Silver member
Silver member
Ah, well, you see, if I came off on the Enfield I would be going so slow I'd be lucky to wear a pimple down!

Hence the new helmet for the Brick.

May contain nuts

21Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:54 am

larrikin

larrikin
Life time member
Life time member
I think I've opened up a can of worms Smile Smile

I ride with the chip piece back on short trips (unless I want to be a hoon). On long trips, I have it in full face mode.I have no issues with wind noise. Then again I do have my ipod up loud.

The good thing with the full face mode is nobody can see your face Smile

It increases my paranoia

22Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:28 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
LWT_Big_Cheese wrote:Ah, well, you see, if I came off on the Enfield I would be going so slow I'd be lucky to wear a pimple down!

Hence the new helmet for the Brick.
Well that makes sense and where the hell are our emoticons

Speed kills play it safe buy a Royal Oilfield

Taken directly from a sticker that was around in the 80s that said Speed kills play it safe buy a Ford and I actually saw one on a High Performance Ford once.

23Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:41 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
I have a Shoei but I read the tests on the UK site which has been testing helmets for the government in a form more like the real world. Well worth a lookhttp://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ that site showed that my helmet model was deficient in safety from side impacts in comparison to others with the same front on impact rating.

As I have got older I have become more conscious of vulnerability than I was when I was 16 and started riding and 50 years later I try to get the safest gear I can so I shall be retiring my Shoei ASAP, I rather fancy the Shark range of helmets and will have to try one.

Interestingly I recall seeing a study that clearly showed that white helmeted riders were less likely to be involved in a not their fault SMIDSY accident than riders with helmets of other colours. My speculation is that Police generally wear white helmets so motorists "see" white helmets and subconsciously avoid getting too close because Police motorcyclists can be dangerous to the wallet.

I wear a yellow fluoro jacket as well and on my white K people seem to be much more careful around me than if I am minus yellow fluoro on another lesser breed of bike.
Regards,
K-BIKE

24Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:27 am

LWT_Big_Cheese

LWT_Big_Cheese
Silver member
Silver member
But I take it you won't be buying a Sharp as:
"Percentage of impacts where the faceguard remained fully locked 53%"

Whereas for the Shoei:
"Percentage of impacts where the faceguard remained fully locked 93%"

I agree about the jacket thing. On the Enfield I have been know to wear a police jacket with the words removed. I taught bike training years ago. I tried to work out why car drivers don't "see" you even when they have looked straight at you.

At the risk of sounding like a crazy-man. How many times have you seen someone look at their watch and if you go straight up to them and ask the time they will check again for you? I don't think they were looking at the time, as much as seeing if they are ok for time! i.e. Plenty of time to carry on with what they are doing or they should rush on to their next task. It's a re-assurance thing. Not an absolute time thing.

So following on with that idea, when a motorist checks he is looking to see if there is anything that can harm him. "If I pull out, will I get killed?". Subconsciously, no it's only a bike so it's safe to pull out!

However, if the approaching vehicle is a copper then that person can harm him! or at least s/he can harm his licence so he immediately takes a bit more care. By the time s/he's realised that its only a "normal" civilian a split second has gone by and so have we!!!

Of course that doesn't explain why people pull out in front of fire engines that have their Blues & Two's on - like my brother used to experience. And we're never going to have as much presence as a fire engine anyway!

There you go. My first mad rant of the day!

May contain nuts

25Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:59 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Bucket seats in cars can be very comfortable....depending on what size "bucket" you have. Helmets can be the same....we all have different head shapes. My restriction is glasses and the ease of putting the glasses on and therefore I have gone to a Shoei flip. My wife and her head shape and glasses needs an RJ flip...the only one that suits her needs.
As long as the helmet protects the head to a great degree you should be happy...and lucky.

26Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:36 pm

xpc316e

xpc316e
Gold member
Gold member
I have just bought a Shark Evoline #3 when returning to riding after a long rest. It does press a bit in the centre of my forehead, but the rest of the fit is good with a plush feel to it. The quality does seem to be up there with similarly-priced helmets. It has pads at the sides which are designed to be removed to facilitate putting on spectacles, and they do serve their function.

It is very convenient to ride 'flipped up' in this hot weather. I can confirm that when I was issued a BMW System helmet years ago in the Police we were under strict instructions not to ride with the front up. The reason given was that it vastly increased leverage on the neck if we were to come off - and the thoughts of a broken neck made sure that most of us complied with instructions. Things have apparently changed, because I see many officers these days riding 'flipped up'.

VIN 0191428, 1991 K100LT, formerly owned by Lancashire Constabulary. This old warhorse is now 'out to grass' and living in retirement in Suffolk, where it will be showered with appropriate love and care.

VIN 6459609, 1992 K1100LT, another ex-Police machine, even though she now looks like she is a former fire engine.

27Back to top Go down   Shark Helmets Empty Re: Shark Helmets Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:33 pm

xpc316e

xpc316e
Gold member
Gold member
After a really sweaty ride yesterday I removed the inner lining to my Shark helmet to reveal a small rectangle of high density foam glued to the EPS liner in just the area I experience pressure. I have removed it to see how I get on with it.

The helmet had a lovely snug feel to it when I wore it in the shop, and it is only after wearing it for an hour, or more, that I feel the slight pressure and discomfort. Over the years I have had only had one helmet that I found 100% comfortable to wear over long periods. It was made by a small company called Cromwell who also made helmets for RAF pilots. The interior was partially lined with a superbly soft leather, and if I remember correctly it was called the Duke. It was the only helmet that I ever tested: a car punted me into some railings one dark winter's night and my head hit the actual railings. I was knocked unconscious, but the helmet did its job well. Sadly, they no longer make motorcycle headgear.

Now that I have modified the Shark slightly, I have high hopes for its longterm comfort. Let's hope I do not test this one!

VIN 0191428, 1991 K100LT, formerly owned by Lancashire Constabulary. This old warhorse is now 'out to grass' and living in retirement in Suffolk, where it will be showered with appropriate love and care.

VIN 6459609, 1992 K1100LT, another ex-Police machine, even though she now looks like she is a former fire engine.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum