BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   noise until warming up. Empty noise until warming up. Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:54 am

Beammeup

Beammeup
To all of the experienced Guru's, I have an issue with a hard rattle when de-accelerating. This is until it warms up and after that it is almost gone. the bike has 93000 miles on it and I am sure it has been well taken care of. I have heard of people calling them a "box of rocks", and this is what it sounds like. I thought it was coming from the timing chain area, so I have pulled the cover, taken off the guides and there is almost NO wear. No rubbing on the cover either and the ratchet tensioner was working as the chain was tight when taken apart. Is this a normal sound that I should get used to? was I hasty to pull the cover? I do really Love the machine, and it rides better than any bike I have owned! I get it! Any ideas?

2Back to top Go down   noise until warming up. Empty Re: noise until warming up. Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:44 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Beamer, you need to complete your profile to include your year and model of bike. If you have an early K, the 6 rivet output shafts will give you a growl until the bike is warmed up and tolerances diminish. Wadaya got?

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

3Back to top Go down   noise until warming up. Empty Output shaft Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:59 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Sounds like a very common defect in almost all early K's......gear lash between the crankshaft output gear and the driven gear on the output shaft. There is a bulletin available on how to correct it. It's a major bit of work.
After reading the bulletin you'll understand that other than annoyance it probably won't hurt anything.

Most, including myself ignore it until something requires a tear down Transmission has to come out, rear housing has to come off + Bottom 1/2 of the crankcase has to be removed.....big job, mostly labor though.
Ride On!
Regards, Ibj...

4Back to top Go down   noise until warming up. Empty Re: noise until warming up. Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:01 pm

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
Yes, it will do that when cold. I usually refrain from "engine braking" until the motor is fully warmed up, usually after about 3-4 minutes of riding.

My old K100 RT Pics and Mods

5Back to top Go down   noise until warming up. Empty Re: noise until warming up. Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:47 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Pop a question in the Engine & Transmission section as not all the gurus read the new members section and you may miss them commenting.
Regards,
K-BIKE

6Back to top Go down   noise until warming up. Empty Re: noise until warming up. Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:57 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
I've had two that had that cold rattle. It's already been said if you can live with it don't worry about it. I never let mine site there and rattle, I'd just start the bike and ride taking it easy till she's warmed up.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

noise until warming up. K-dogs10

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum