BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Beemer Wheeler

Beemer Wheeler
Gold member
Gold member
No more screechin Kawa 500 Mach 3 two stroke eering noise.

On my RT, it came from the muffler's heat guard plate.
While tapping whith my finger on it, I noticed a little play in the fixation screw(s).
It made the same kind of beer cans rolling down grand Canyon noise it does when cruising at about 100 Km/h = from 3,700 til 4,500 RPM.
The length between the two screws make that plate resonate at that frequency, much like the strings on my Fender (Pearl) Bass.
I squeezed a small piece of corcK between the zort and the heat guard plate, putting the later "under small tension".
Test rode it for 100 Km, the damned squealer has finally shut up.

Last edited by Beemer Wheeler on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:36 pm; edited 3 times in total

2012 Yamaha YFL 381 (Flute)
2005 Yamaha PSR E-203 (Keyboard Synth).
2012 Yamaha 7 HP outboard engine
"Beemer Wheeler" Certified Brick Aviator since July 2013
Ham radio call sign HA5AH
http://h2fuel.mobi

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I went one better and ditched the guard altogether and polished the pipe. No more rattle. Didn't melt the pannier either, which was my worry.

Beemer Wheeler

Beemer Wheeler
Gold member
Gold member
Way to go :  All the way !
A less radical, more "classy" way would be to add a screw or two, by welding some inox nuts on the zort.
How did you identify the source of the noise ? RT

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I was reasonably unaware of the problem except at idle I could hear a bit. One ride I went on, I think
Col behind me told me he could hear it over everything else on the highway. The cure would've been to reweld the little nuts in but I'm a jubbo with anything like that so off it came.

I'm in the process of cleaning up a spare exhaust I've had for a while and it has all the right bits on it including heat shield so I might be trying it again.
I did put some insulation on the bottom of my LH pannier just in case but it doesn't seem to be a problem if I'm on the open road. The exhausts aren't really a beautiful piece to look at naked. (unlike myself for example).
RT

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The shield became loose on my K100 and it was all you could hear at highway speeds.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Previous owner decided the best place for the battery breather hose to vent was onto the lovelly chromed heat shield.
Off she came.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Good idea but maybe the cork will burn out fairly quickly? Fibreglass may be better?

Beemer Wheeler

Beemer Wheeler
Gold member
Gold member
---> RT it is not because one ore more screws are a bit lose, or unwelded nuts that it resonates.
It is because the screws are too far apart, the length of the plate between anchor points is right on the frequency produced by the engine around 4,000 RPM.
The plate vibrates like a steel drum...
I'm amazed that BMW "bureau d' étude" engineering team didn't fix that.In AC/refrigeration, high pressure (exhaust pipe of compressor are bent like a trombone at different lenghts to create standing wave traps suppressing resonance and making the compressor and system run quieter.
Less vibrations = less stress on the weldings, = less leaks.

Ghost ---> This "corcK" is actually a piece of "Marine Deck" (tm ?) of corck "sawdust" mixed with some (epoxy ?) resin for boat deck.
It didn't burn, but will be replaced with some stove ceramic fiber mesh (asbestos cleaner alternative) later.
It was just a test, I expected it to burn...

RossKo ---> Mine is black and a bit rusted at one place, I will check that breater tube, it might be "standard" feature ?

Last edited by Beemer Wheeler on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Ok so my original solution of putting a bit of rubber thong (flip flop) would have had the same result.
I just thought that without the heat shield I would get a good opportunity to teach the grandkids the meaning of "don't touch the shiny thing". Told you so, get the ice. Hahahahahahahahah. Whoops, lost it again.

Beemer Wheeler

Beemer Wheeler
Gold member
Gold member
RossKo --->  It must be standard, the breather is just above the guard plate...
Must change that so it can ruin the clutch cable instead  Wink

Beemer Wheeler

Beemer Wheeler
Gold member
Gold member
What was most worrying about that noise was it's unknown (to me) origin, it sounded like a major lose rod event, or at least could mask the sound of mechanical breakdown should it happen.
It was most un nerving when riding a 5 Km long tunnel in Holland under the Schelde Delta in Zeeland Holland.
It's an eery place for a breakdown, I'm taking it again tomorrow without the vibraphone.
This plate is (by BMW design) free to oscillate between two fixing screw distant about 40 cm a bit more than 1'), just like thepieces of wood on a Xylophone.
As a musician, I would like to make a statement:  This sound was out of tune, discordant, unharmonic, and reminds me of the dentist's drill.

JimK

JimK
Gold member
Gold member
Took the obnoxious shield off the other day too.
Not sure what will do.

Will not polish the system....but that is some seriously incredible work that some of you have done!

Anyway, have decided that I can certainly live with the matt/flack black color that the header/front down tubes of the exhaust have, and would like to have the whole system be the same...sorta matches the frame....and that is ok with me, for now.

Any ideas about how that might be done?
I do have access to various cutting and welding tools if it might be a question of heat alone.

Musing.....

Regards,
Off the wall Jim...Smile

Beemer Wheeler

Beemer Wheeler
Gold member
Gold member
Jim, I think you can heat the tubes manifold and the zort with a blow torch, and it should darken, or turn to a nice light petrol blue.
Unmount all the parts that would burn like rubber silenblocks, and keep a fire extinguisher handy, there might be some oil residue inside...

The best thing since I suppressed this noise is that I am now sure it's not coming from the engine.
Peace of mind.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum