BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Now the story can be told Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:44 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Now the story can be told 03713
I had this bike for 2yrs when this photo was taken, it took that time to get hooked by it. I was alternating between brick, airhead and suzuki then I put Michelin Mcadams on and Bingo! There she was!

Now the story can be told Dscf0010
I was super lucky with the purchase. Original owner, books receipts tools first aid puncture kit etc.
It had been his 2nd bike for some time (Mike had never owned a car, 45 - 50 yo, shades of Dazz) 
so was dirty and neglected, he told me everything he could think of that needed attention.
By the way, that was when I arrived to pay and pick up, having assured him that i would take it unseen
after 2 phone calls.  $1500 au

I have just got my own laptop after 2 years in the wilderness and only a "smartphone". More to come if there is interest.

Gordo

2Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:57 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
onya gordo !!

a nice little collection

happy riding mate !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:34 am

Nice bikes!
That's still my favourite K colour.

4Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Tatty be mostly all there Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:26 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
In the cold light of day an inspection revealed a dirty motor, way overdue tyres and evidence of a couple of falls, light though. How you see it here is after a few good cleanings, new roundels, new $45 left sidecover
and replacing the green electrical tape around 3 indicators with black electrical tape for the rear and a dob of silicon to hold the front amber lens. In addition all oils were changed, new tyres, rego of course (it hadn't lapsed) and i'm in for $2500 au.

Now the story can be told 08510
Here she is at Waratah NW Tassie lightly loaded for an overnighter.

I made the mistake when changing the brake fluid of pumping the lever, front, right back to the bar. That's a no-no, the outer seal got scored on a corroded part of the cylinder and started to leak, slowly at first eventually gushing almost!
I was on the forum(s) then and should have got a new piston but Scottish blood wins thu, an o'ring from my kit fits nice, hmm let's try that. Still good 2+ yrs on! I must emphasize that it is only a backup to the original scored Outer one not the pumping one doing the braking. You can see the paint lifted on the bodgy respray of the radiator shroud, amazingly the tank paint was unaffected.

The colour of the bike was NOT my favourite in all the years K's have been out but that's what it is so there.
So as not to overload you with Columbia Blau I'm gunna throw this in.
 Now the story can be told 22510
How's this for a minor coincidence? Only just found out that Mark, my bro in laws bro, got that? bought this baby new in 1986! Unfortunately long gone, he loved it tho! His photo. Not bad for a scan of a 20yo print.

G

5Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:30 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Very nice collection there Gordo.
Glad you have come to terms with the K.
Might have to change your handle now we have seen your face and you don't appear to be floating or transparent.

Maybe Beardwhorides
or
3bikes3legs

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

6Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Some early problems Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:06 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
The low battery, continuously running starter motor trick, thank you Flying brick, maybe AJ's, his highly esteemed self, welded contacts in the relay.... easy.

Speedometer, and to a lesser degree tachometer, intermittent. PO had not told me that one, must ask about that, so the 162000km showing when purchased could be low. First time into the Cluster, some improvement, when working would stay so till the next stop.Working about 50% of the time. Tacho good ever since then

Now the story can be told Phone_10

Loaded up and running in Launceston Tas heading for Devonport that night, on the Spirit of Tasmania ferry onto the Big island next day. Son Nick with me for one week then Adelaide with folks and a sneaky plan to gatecrash the K100 forum meet at Araluen, NSW

Now the story can be told 14010
 Devonport. Nick's ZXR9 (1999?) behind.

Now the story can be told Phone_11

Lobethal Adelaide hills twisties. Nick in pensive mood " how long do i have to follow this SLOW heap of S...

and his bike?"

Gordon

7Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:13 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
G'Day gordo could you check under the seat on the rear cowl for a "fabre No" perhaps 616 on a small sticker by itself. I think the C models have Columbia Silbar as a colour? there are several differing sites claiming the colour for each model but its nice to get it strait from an owner. The K75c's seem to be alittle different in colour to the K100's Maddison Silbar. Are you sure it is a Blau? Good story so far Thanks.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Good to see someone's paying attention , remember there is a test at the end !

GTG

Typed in the wrong spot up top ...616 pretty sure that's it , not home so can't check but spot on i reckon , isn't this forum xxxxlent

Last edited by Ghost who rides on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adddddd)

9Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:22 am

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
Good show! I got my first Beemer in 1975 (R90), and my brother still has a very old '69 R65 that stays in the garage mostly.

I must say that tires are the thing, and I'm glad you found a set that does the job for you.

After riding an R90S for many years I find myself comparing the two bikes. I used to run the old R90S up to 110MPH going over the Grapevine in LA (Those were the days). The RS I got new, but my K bike is 28 years old, and so far, after 1 1/2 years of ownership, I haven't had the confidence to take it over the century mark--yet. Perhaps after another winter of wrenching and maintenance--we'll see.

Anyhow, thanks for the posting, and enjoy the ride. (anyone tell you, you look like the most interesting man in the world?)

10Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Beardwhorides??? Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:50 pm

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
So i was on the flying brick forum when i came across this one and joined gaining valuable knowledge about bricks from many smart cookies all over the world, this still amazes me today! Excellent work chaps and chappettes.
However I was a newbie in so many ways about forums and managed to rage an FB member, so badly did i feel about my low actions that i self censored not trusting my smartarse mouth, or fingers.
In other words I Ghosted. See where this is going?

Now the story can be told P2080010
Beardwhorides?   February '12.  the rides bit works!

Jumping way forward just for a mo... I lobbed, unannounced and from the "wrong" direction at Araluen Pub.
"who the f... are you?" They asked. " I'm the Ghost of Forums Past."  I hoped to atone for my previous behaviour and seek forgiveness from the faithful and return to the fold.
Guess what? Blank looks and gee we got a doozee here lads! 
Heading home from that most excellent event over thousands of kms Ghost became Ghost who rides.
It had a nice ring to it, and sounded a bit familiar, just not sure where from.... hmm, let me think.

Now the story can be told 03210

Pressure washing the bike one day with a big Karcher hot (at work) and the paint peels off the front guard virtually in one piece. What the...? Seems the guard and rad shroud had been damaged in the bingle(s) and repainted Black for the shroud and Columbia silber, thanks 75cster, for the beak, Without suitable primer for the super flexi plastic. No worries, won't rust.
This forum thing, it messes with the mind. I'm not a polisher/prettier,   I'm a rider/mechaniKer .  WAS dammit!
I blame guys like Oldgoat, and many before and since his thread. New guys heed this warning, DO NOT READ the MY RENOVATION thread !!!
Even then I was ok till Charlie started his Hey i'm not into making a show bike. Bit by bit it came to me, and bit by bit I did it, all while still using her as my daily ride.
Now the story can be told 24310
Before. 2 days after Araluen meet oct/ nov '11?

Now the story can be told 10710
Feb '12 Cheesey grin while riding kinda effect.

What a nice thing to say AJValente, thanks, or should i be suspicious?

Gordie

11Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:40 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Good read...Nice to get some history on The Ghost Who rides... I had forgotten you took a fun way home from Araluen.

12Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Now the story can be told Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:33 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Nice and clean Gordon, good job with the face as well. Glad to see all of your photos mate, keep it up.
RT

13Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:40 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I remember most of us standing round outside the Araluen pub saying to each other "who is this guy do you know him", but it didnt take long for the ice to break and beers all round and after we departed on Sunday it was as if we had known each other for ages.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

14Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Wrong side. Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:53 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Sorry should have shown the same side for a true comparison.

Now the story can be told 244_210

15Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:55 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
aye  !!! ...indeed rick

the story is coming together well gordo
now you'll just  have to catch up on the "trips pics " around your neck of the woods " so to speak ....we did at one stage propose a trip down there

I think a little prompting of beautiful scenes of nature and roads  might be appropriate ol mate

don't rush it ......just as you can get there
don't blow your internet allowance all at one time ....grin ....a little teasing works well

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

16Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:48 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Good stuff Ghostie Gordo Love the 75

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

17Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:30 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
At this point I propose that next years April/ May ride is to Tasmania.

Surely given 7 or 8 months notice this can be organised/ achieved/ given time off for good behaviour/ satisfied the missus etc.

This will be a long ride for everyone (Except the Ghost). Unless he heads the pack back across on the ferry.

A lot of planning and some ginger tablets for the boat, but what an adventure.
And think of all the duty free apples you can bring back to the main land

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

18Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:46 am

Waz

Waz
Life time member
Life time member
Good idea, i'm in. I went last year in car and was disapointed I wasn't on my bike. Great roads and great place.

19Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Beauty? Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:26 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
The Bricks have always looked ugly to me , unlike the airheads which had 50 years for people to grow to like,
the German styling is just strange. The only one that appeals to me is the RS and to a lesser degree the K1.
Despite that i have come to love this bike for its ' dynamic abilities which has led to a softening of opinion to a fondness for the little Pfeil. That's her name.

Now the story can be told 03211
   I said earlier that I was consuming two forums but Ghosting on this one and starting to get to know some of the cast here. One guy , TWB, reminded me of a younger self doing similar trips, only he wrote and took pics of the journey and I was there, comprende? Others did  fantastic reports too which I (we) really enjoyed , as I hope you will this one. TWB or Guest or Dazz just has that extra something, you know? and I really was keen to meet him.
   An abridged recent history of the forum tells us that a few Queensland members had met up and done rides and mechanical days then parts swapping, bulk ordering you name it, even breakdown assist for goodness sake! Then the Premier state said "Hey what about us?" so was born the Araluen Meet October 2011. I turned 60 in early oct , big Do at home in Tas with my mates, lovers and some hangers on, then i rode Pfeil to Adelaide with Nick for a second round of celebrations with my kin. Cunning stunt eh? Guess what? I was on the North island in time for the forum meeting! 

A plan was coming together.

Now the story can be told Phone_12
I grew up in Adelaide but had left 30 years ago. All 3 bikes had visited but time was always short so this time I was determined to revisit the superb roads in the Adelaide hills.
Here is Pfeil at the Norton Summit Pub which I visited many times though not for what you think! On the Pavement near the wall, directly behind my tank bag you should be able to see a brass disc? This is a Bench Mark which has a Known value for Gravity, Pendulums had been swung here, sounds a bit occult eh? Part of my work in those days was to calibrate Our gravity meters used in Geophysical surveys. This was done before and after each field trip to ensure accuracy. Maybe 1000 times I took readings on that BM. Not once did I drink a brew at this Pub! I swear that's true but barely believe it myself.

Ghost

20Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:50 am

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
The most interesting man in the world--from a beer commercial here in the States. Gota have that rugged look. Try a search on "dos equis the most interesting man alive quotes" Now the story can be told 22936 

-AJ

21Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Thanks AJ Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:30 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Dos equios, 2 horses eh? I'll take that anyday!

My 75 (horses) were being galloped around the roads of my youth. Lobethal , the Gorge, Ashbourne, Mt barker 

road, heaps more. McLaren Vale to the Barossa  ten times in 2 weeks, every variant, only once through the

metro, each way. Man these hills roads are good. And half the time two up, no worries, lower gear

give her some revs, the Corkscrew down two up... this K75 is so versatile.

Now the story can be told 16510
A friend turned this into a cafe/ wine bar, Tanunda.

Now the story can be told 18410
And OFF,  on the Wellington PUNT or ferry, every bike i have owned has been across this Punt. That's only 

Eight. I'm off to Araluen to meet Daz!

Now the story can be told 22410

Remember Mark? He did the Nulli from Adelaide, his pic , Margaret river maybe? Edit, WRONG!!!! Esperance!!!

Now the story can be told 27010
My sister gave me this, genuine Greenland sealskin, could I be this Bold ?

Last edited by Ghost who rides on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Accuracy)

22Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty More Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:26 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
I know I said I was OFF to Araluen but I've missed a chunk Of pictures so please bear with me.

So I was riding the hills roads of my youth, relearning of course it had been 30 years!!

The Barossa Valley was my big attraction 'cos of Rhonda one of the guttsiest women I know.

Now the story can be told 25510

We make a great team on the road, she brings out the best in me, it's because she TRUSTS me with her life.

This view is of Lyndoch (I think) southern Barossa , the last 10 kms were on a dirt road, YES I was lost

but here I am found!

There is a bit of a side theme to the major wine growing region and I love it.

Many wineries/farms/businesses display their old little trucks proudly at the driveway or major road corners.

Warning these are NOT K bikes!  But I love them 'cos my first "4" wheeled vehicle was similar 1952 AL 160

International(Harvester) 240 red diamond motor. aged 30.

Now the story can be told Phone_13

But this is a Bedford from a furniture company, Barossa is a German settlement early on.

Now the story can be told Phone_14

This is an Inter, a lates '40s K..??? Earlier than mine but the cab is the same. Not bonnet or guards.

Now the story can be told 29210
  Fargo with Diamond Reo were the UP market versions, pig ugly grill here tho'? Rhonda and Pfeil just?

Next I really am on that Punt, going to meet Daz!

Ghost

23Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:50 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
some great pics gordo ...

24Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:46 pm

Rendrag

Rendrag
Silver member
Silver member
Ghost who rides wrote:
Now the story can be told 10710
Looks sweet!! But.. is that a DRUM brake??!?!?

25Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:07 pm

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
sure is Damien , I thought it was strange at first also.
go  to some previous photos for the flip side, you will note the way it is moulded to the offside of the rim.
being only a 750, how do they handle with drums, was there any benefit producing the 75 with them?
Ghostie thanks for the non Ks, when we get down your way, we might throw a few Ks around them , for proper clarity in the forum.

Last edited by groverK on Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Now the story can be told 10_x_110

26Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The R80 and R100 of the same era had much the same setup.
I think that BMW was trying to keep costs down on the production so the price difference was enough to make the 750cc bike a cheaper but viable alternative to the bigger 1000cc machine.
It is only on the K75c that the drum appeared and possibly on the BMWNA version the K75T.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

27Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:14 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
The later K75, when BMW dropped the 'C' model name, moved to a rear disc brake.

Having owned a 75C, I'd say that the drum brake is as effective as the disc and less problematic.

28Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:30 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Personal opinion is that they went to a disc because it's a bit difficult to have ABS on a mechanicaly operated brake.

29Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:49 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
That and parts rationalisation. By the time that the ABS option became available, they were running down the production of the 2-valve Boxer models which shared the FD design (the remaining Boxers were GS and R models that used the Paralever).

30Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Thought everyone knew? Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:29 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks guys for filling in, gotta remember that not everyone is as anal as me when it comes to m/c trivia.

More of note than the brake is the wheel, 18inch v 17 on the K100s K75S etc. This will be more of a 

problem in a few years when tyres with better technology are only made in 17inch sizes, happening already

but the "vintage" sizes are still pretty good currently. Other than those two things the 75C is fairly standard K stuff,

except for the motor internals, balance shaft, output shaft, ......... etc.

" Apart from all that, what have the Romans done for us?"

Brake performance is good IMHO as backed up by MikeP. Later in this ramble you will hear how good.

Now the story can be told 10610
Close up of Drum brake. Wheels cleaned as best i could then polished the rim, masked up, then sprayed the

hub/spokes. Was going to do the fancy spoke rib polishing, I like that look, but the call of the open road was 

tooooo strong.

Cheers G

31Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:52 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
well done gordo .......looks sweet
yeah I have the same issues ....the road calls !

32Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty The road Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:26 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Yes the road, it "calls" and for that ya gotta have a Bike and I don't care if it's a "postie" or a full on motocrosser! This forum is K bikes but let's never forget that it is the ROAD that provides the..  the..
thrill, the buzz, whatever. 

This is pictures and i've posted here 'cos it is not a resto, not a ride report as such so I''ll stay here if that's OK?  Meanwhile serving.com is giving me some grief so bear with me.

33Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:36 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Lovely posts and its what this is about. We are all different but one thing in common. Each of us motivated in a different way by a K bike. The bikes are around along time and have long stories to tell. Thanks Ghost who Rides. We are a darn long way away but if you are ever up this part of the world let us know and we will fix you a K bike up the west of Ireland. Its full of people who did that and simply 'disappeared' because they didn't want to leave it...

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

34Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:51 pm

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Well I lost a post last week, probably timed out, so here goes again assuming it's OK to stay in K bike pictures?
Move me to wherever CF and mods!Now the story can be told 19511
Heading to Araluen meeting. Just north of Omeo which is down the valley to the right. This is high country grazing land. I had just become unlost after a series of  failures in my GPS (Gordon Positioning System). Isn't it funny how these moments can turn into Gems? Onto a 2 track then through 3 or 4 creeks, fun, then a locked gate! Oh well, back through the creeks, double the fun, then camped in an idyllic spot by a river and a chance to try out the new swag bought that day, after a well deserved bottle of wine of course!

Now the story can be told Tom10
This photo is from 2007 an shows the Ovens valley. That is my son Tom, taken by his bro Nick, 
near the summit of Mt Buffalo. I am on the porch of the Porepunka pub down in the valley quenching my thirst with some of Victorias' finest. The boys and I were on a dream trip together touring about, they decided to scoot up the Mountain (twice!) swapping bikes. This photo has come to represent to me ALL that is good about how we raised our sons. Don't ask about the bad!

Mt Hotham is off pic to the right, a challenging ride then on the R75, and surprisingly now on the mini brick!

35Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:26 am

LWT_Big_Cheese

LWT_Big_Cheese
Silver member
Silver member
Nice thread. Thanks.

No warranty implied or given.

May contain nuts

36Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:18 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool 

Thanks for sharing those pics bikes and trucks.

BIG D

37Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Thanks guys Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:29 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
A quick word on the photos here. While I appreciate good photography I am more a point and shoot kinda guy.
In future, inspired by others on this and other forums (anyone know Walter Colebatch s' work?) I am going to put more effort into that side of it. In the meantime I hope you don't mind these old pics.

So there i was fast asleep in the new swag when right on midnight pitter patter on the pristine canvas!
It was a looonnngg 5 hours to daybreak then a quick pack up and onto the road dying for a cuppa and breakfast. The fabulous hard packed dirt surface of the evening before had turned into a skatey gloop on top but still hard under. Miles from anywhere and no traffic for 12 hours plus terrified of dropping this baby I wobbled along like a Wally, 2nd or 3rd gear for 60kms! Nearly 2 hours before I hit the tar, man did I need that caffeine!

Now the story can be told 19710
Pulling up here revealed a total lack of front retarders but I wasn't needing them much in this slop!

Now the story can be told 19910
Did I mention it was still raining? I had to stop frequently to get the blood circ back into my hands numbed by the vibration at these low engine speeds, that coffee seemed like unobtainium.
Ten clicks from Corryong the asphalt started and I gunned the little beast for all she was worth, no stoppers, wet road didn't matter the transformation to a predictable surface was awesome.
Too early for the town and had to continue to Khancoban and a cafeteria at last.

38Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:13 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
cool trip  gordo

more of an adventure than I had imagined

39Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:29 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool 

Don't mind those pics at all great stuff, no wonder a lot of folk turn old k's into trial type bikes they appear quite capable, who needs a GS:D 

BIG D

40Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:43 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Ah the benefits of Insomnia. I just read the thread Gordo, Smashing stuff. I've always fancied a 75c and after reading this I'm well impressed with the littler moto of the brick family. Keep it up!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

41Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:55 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
The coffee was crap and for the life of me don't know why I ordered the second one!

Easy one and a half hours before I could leave anyway, a bit chilled but more rattled than cold.

So it was late morning and I had a long way to go to the meet. The previous 2 days were leisurely both

650 or so kms. Today I had serious doubts of even making it. Hindsight it was 500 to Araluen.

Time to get serious so no pics I'm sorry. Who knows what this is?

Now the story can be told Dscf1510

42Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:19 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The Birdsville mail truck?

43Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:31 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Spot on Rick. Tom Kruse s' Leyland Badger, the best of his many mailtrucks. Tom became famous as the real life star/actor in a movie made in the 1950's Mailman of the Outback I think it was called. He had many ww2 
"blitz" trucks in various states of repair along the route which he used parts from.
  This Leyland was pulled from its last resting place and restored to this by a guy with Toms help.

Now the story can be told Dscf1511

44Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:09 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool 

Nice photo's gordo thats a beuty of a truck, Love the old colour schemes of them old trucks good basic colours, Royal blue, Emerald green, Post office Red ect all in the old enamel, Tekaloid synthetic enamel was one make we used to use.
And the hand crank on the front great if they started first time or you were down to your underpants with sweat Very Happy 

BIG D

45Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:08 pm

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
HAND CRANKING.

An old mate , now deceased, was a real funny guy.

My favourite of his tales was about the tractor that was so hard to start that he cranked it till it boiled!

46Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:40 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Finally left Khancoban in overcast and soon started  skirting  the Mt Kosciuszko massif. 

Just as I entered the first of the twisties on this 80 km stretch 2 1200 GS's Loomed up behind. Not wanting to hold them up I tried my best to lead the way... with no front brakes.. and worse.. no rear brake light switch!
  I know better and should have forked out $40 for the new switch along time ago but now it became a HUGE problem. To give the following riders some indication I had to feather the front brake lever for the light, but the lever was'nt returning, part of the whole problem, so I had to push the lever back manually, as well as control the throttle! Well... I lost all rhythm and coordination in no time and soon waved these guys through. This illustrates one of the main points I stressed to students when conducting Rider Training courses. Never ride with a bike fault because compensating detracts you from the main game...
  That was my only problem for the rest of the day, the low cloud around Koscy was gone by Thredbo so drying out all the time on the high plains roads which Aussie guys know so well !!! 160kph and higher, sweeping bends with narry a stick, let alone tree, to hide a potential hazard.

Not me tho' , 130 in the sweet spot of Pfeil, no fr brakes and all, sweet sweet triple... what a machine!

Then a big surprise after Cooma, dropping down to the coastal region, through tree fern and rain forest, yeah suddenly! Temperature went up 10- 15 C. Down, down, hairpins for 10 k's or so it seemed, all on the simple last century technology drum, YES Drum, rear Brake! 

What a bike! 

Now the story can be told Dscf1310
 But this is JO the Suzuki that Kathy lent to me to tour the south Island NZ. Another chapter perhaps?

Behind is JOE on the Pan Continental, from Virginia, retired mining engineer, typical biker having a ball, top bloke! Anyone know him? We breakfasted then rode together for a few K's, was sorry to part.

47Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:34 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nice one gordo ...a  real story

48Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty I finally get there! Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:12 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Bypassing Bega I head north more confident now of making the meet. Remember my GPS? Well this glich was because the map of Victoria I had didn't have Araluen on it ! So north and hope for the best. In the town of Moruya I was following an "L" plate driver up to a roundabout and went straight thru instead of turning RIGHT to continue up the Pacific Hwy. After maybe 1 km in the towns' obvious side roads, Yeah gimme a break, it had been a hard day! Guess friggin' what? A little sign which said Araluen!!! Whoo Hoo as a favorite member of this forum would say. No distance given however, I love a bit of mystery.
   After 2kms the road narrows and turns to dirt, ok, that's cool, it's dry and hard and rutted and rocky but it's not porridge. It is however 70 kms with Araluen the only town and NO further signs esp distances for the whole way. Suspension was banging on every rut and rock , same speeds as the morning stint, same vibes hands numbing, where is this town? In retrospect this was a fabulous ride, following the river most of the way, excellent photo ops etc....  another time?
   Finally grazing land then a building, could this be the Pub? NO!. Then finally there it was, 100% certainly the Araluen Hotel! But wait, not a bike to be seen, WHAT THE? Just past the building I pull in and there is a motorcycle! and it is a K! so I park and am greeted by a guy who was seated with others at an outdoor table. 
You know him as RT, also there were Rick G, Canberra Dave ,Col, Alby and Nic, Margie too, Ulrich and Tom and Anne, sorry if i missed anyone, BUT NO Two Wheels Better!
   Rick  said here earlier about my arrival, Who is this guy? And sure enough, never met any of you before but straight away it was as tho' we we were old mates. But no TWB!
   I think Charlie came next, anyone heard of him? Then that familiar whine, especially on decell, Who Can that Be Now? Yup, TWB and what an entrance! I ain't gonna say anymore!
   I wasn't the last despite my fears all day.

Now the story can be told 32910
At the risk of being sexist or whatever how about this little baby? Yes a 75 but ridden down from Q'land by Margie G, similar distance to my trip. Total Respect Sister!

Now the story can be told Phone_16
And just to rub your K100 noses in it, Toms' 75S ? Basic'ed ridden two up to the meeting.

TBC      Ghost

49Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:53 pm

JimK

JimK
Gold member
Gold member
Oh...What a great offering...pics...trip...etc.
Nice.
Beautiful country!
Thanks!

In a perfect world, I'd just say screw it all for a bit, farm out the dog to some pals, get on a plane, get over there and buy a bike and ride around until someone chased me off of the premises...Smile)

50Back to top Go down   Now the story can be told Empty Re: Now the story can be told Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:06 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
lol jim

fantastic journey gordo
yes from a different direction indeed ...but for most of us .....another new place to visit  and new folks to meet

rode with tom and mrs and ulrick most of the way down from near singleton ...  spirited ride that k75 ....got left behind up at goulborn , not sure what happened there .

no matter, good to share a beer with friends huh ?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum