BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty went to H-D museum Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:10 am

10-ring

10-ring
Silver member
Silver member
Hi all
Yesterday I had the day off, so the wife and I went to the H-D museum in milwaukee it's only alittle over an hour away.
8 days till they have a big 110th birthday party.
It's a very nice place, lot's of bikes from #1 to easy rider(caption america) hill climers,crusers,board racers.cross country race bikes.
We spent over 4 hrs. walking around
I seem to be having trouble up loading the pics right now will try later:hp:went to H-D museum Imag0120went to H-D museum Imag0119
went to H-D museum Imag0118
went to H-D museum Imag0117went to H-D museum Imag0116

2Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty HD Museum Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:40 am

otto59

Silver member
Silver member
Razz What are brand new Harley's doing in there?

3Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty Re: went to H-D museum Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:40 am

I was given a choice by my wife. I could either go to a local town to see a huge HD meeting or I could spend the day cutting the grass on the airfield, my answer was that I will go and buy more fuel for the mower.
Everyone to their own, I suppose.

4Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty Re: went to H-D museum Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:12 am

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
bikerboy wrote:I was given a choice by my wife. I could either go to a local town to see a huge HD meeting or I could spend the day cutting the grass on the airfield, my answer was that I will go and buy more fuel for the mower.
Everyone to their own, I suppose.
Second that

went to H-D museum 502531

92 K 1100 LT  6455097 (gone)

5Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty Re: went to H-D museum Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:30 am

JimK

JimK
Gold member
Gold member
Cool pics.

Wonder what that last one was about.
The blue one...looked to be some aerodynamic work going on.

An early try at Bonneville Salt Flats perhaps?

While I'm certainly not an avid HD fan....Know that it is good to know the history of motors on 2 wheels and that history is important wherever one gets it.

If you don't want to hear of one our own's... fellow's trip to a neat place, who has taken the time to share an important bit of history, and take some neat pics, and share them with us...

Thanks 10 ring for sharing of the trip...cool shots.

Regards,
Jim.

Last edited by JimK on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : have dealt with some a**holes all week. Prob should relax little)

6Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty Re: went to H-D museum Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:41 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Seconded Jim.

Nice pics and though I don't think I would ever buy a Harley, but if I had the chance I would spend 4 hours in there too just soaking up the history.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

7Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty Re: went to H-D museum Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:42 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Well I am not a Harley fan but they certainly have a big fan club so there is something I am missing.
One thing that they do hold a dubious distinction for is that no motorcycle in history has be bastarsized as much as a Harley and I include that "thing" that Peter Fonda was so loathe to mount.
Even Phil Irving the brains behind the famous Vincent said in his Tuning for speed book that the big american V twin Harley Davidson was capable of some fearsome horsepower.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

8Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty Re: went to H-D museum Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:10 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
some nice pic 10 ring ...thanks for sharing

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

9Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty Re: went to H-D museum Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:32 pm

Jim, perhaps you should chill a bit. I admit that my post was what we call humour and it may not be to others taste, but if you don't like it don't read it - the same advice that you give me about the HD post.
If it makes you feel better then I will post a picture of my other bike, while not a HD it is also an interesting looking machine and is fast, ask Crazy Frog, he was chasing me in his car while I was riding it this summer. Mine is the red one, the F800 is my wifes. Fell free to make any jokes that you want.

went to H-D museum DSCF0530

10Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty Re: went to H-D museum Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:44 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
I'm with Charlie.

Thanks for sharing that 10-ring.

If a fellow Forumist takes the time to share his experiences about motorcycles (isn't that why we are here), let's all say "thanks!". Take it for what it is...sharing a passion for bikes. 

There may be someone else on this Forum who now will have second thoughts about posting pics about their motorcycling experiences fearing people will give them grief.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

11Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty Re: went to H-D museum Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:23 pm

Lazyboy

Lazyboy
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for sharing 10-Ring,  always nice to see what other Bikers enjoy.  Post some more when you get the chance.
Could someone let me know how to post a group of pictures in one block instead of only a single photo ?

Thanks,
Lazyboy.

Bikes Name: Lazyboy

12Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty Re: went to H-D museum Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:29 pm

jandalboy

jandalboy
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for the pics.Nice bikes.

13Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty Re: went to H-D museum Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:23 am

Sievuun

I could imagine myself spending some hours in there too. On the other side the only two HD's i could imagine myself owning would be the XA (picture #3) or the S125 , but i have never heard of any of those available in my part of the world so i am pretty sure i will never ever have a HD.

14Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty Re: went to H-D museum Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:45 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
I too will never own a Harley but I've ridden a few and I totally get it!

Also what a marvellous contribution H D have made to our world of biking.

Gone for all money back then and back right up there, good stuff!

I'm sure I've traded off the tough guy image Harleys gave motorcycling,

You know,   walk into anywhere in bike gear,   TOTAL respect, NO AGRO.

Nice pics 10 ring appreciate the thought.

15Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty Re: went to H-D museum Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:36 am

10-ring

10-ring
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Jim K the blue bike was built in 1937 for speed record on the beaches at Daytona.
It got just over 136 mph
went to H-D museum Imag0124
Here's a few more pics.

went to H-D museum Imag0125

went to H-D museum Imag0126

the last one most it's parts stamped with ser.#1 thanks for looking

16Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty Re: went to H-D museum Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:08 pm

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
thanks 10 Ring,being an avid period admirer I enjoyed them greatly, and as mentioned earlier , although this is a K related site,it's nice to have some varying subjects
to comment on .and it shows what members other interests are.
i would oggle at pre 70's harleys any day, never had the opportunity to ride one , but have heard many different experiences from others.
thanks for sharing.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
went to H-D museum 10_x_110

17Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty Re: went to H-D museum Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:14 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
My old (moved out 2 years ago) neighbour had a brand new WLA 1942.
Never ridden. Had about 1.2 miles on the clock from being pushed around sheds and garages.
One of those mysterious 'found it in a crate' jobs.
I would have owned that bike, but not at the $20,000 he got for it.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

18Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty Re: went to H-D museum Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Hope you don't mind 10ring?

went to H-D museum 2012-010
Rode this about a year ago, 2012 (?) Switchback, big motor low and lean, was surprised at how "small" it was.

Had a ball, thanks Jap Brown! Screen clips off in seconds and that's how I rode it.

Last edited by Ghost who rides on Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Got the Harley name wrong Switchback not Sidekick... DOH!)

19Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty Re: went to H-D museum Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:36 am

JimK

JimK
Gold member
Gold member
10-ring wrote:Hi Jim K the blue bike was built in 1937 for speed record on the beaches at Daytona.
It got just over 136 mph
went to H-D museum Imag0124
Here's a few more pics.

went to H-D museum Imag0125

went to H-D museum Imag0126

the last one most it's parts stamped with ser.#1 thanks for looking
1937...136 mph!

Wonderful crazy folks!

Speaking of the same...

Met an Aussie from Sydney today while providing kayak support for the swim portion of IRONMAN...(swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, run 26 miles), in Louisville, Kentucky, while he was in the Ohio River, (500 to 1000 meters wide).  He needed a little break and hung on the front of my seakayak while I gave a short massage to a foot cramp...and then he went on.
That's what we are there for.  Incredible athletes.  Winner did it in 8hrs and 21 minutes!...the rest will have until 0000hrs local...0400 GMT to finish.
Downtown Louisville is going nuts now and it will get crazier as the night progresses.
This is streaming stuff at the finish line for those interested....

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/detail.aspx?race=louisville&y=2013#axzz2d0ejMaMy

..and I notice the belt drive on the number one HD which some will note is also being used on some non-K BMW's...Wow!

20Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty Re: went to H-D museum Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:19 pm

Very strange that speed in those days. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_land-speed_record, the 1937 bike world speed record was almost 170mph.

21Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty Re: went to H-D museum Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:57 pm

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
With all due respect, HD's are an anachronism. What would be the difference if BMW continued making air cooled boxer twins from 1969 and nothing else? A Harley museum, heck I see those museum pieces rolling down the road every day. :silent:

22Back to top Go down   went to H-D museum Empty Re: went to H-D museum Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:56 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
An anachronism they may be AJ and I wont disagree one bit there but when you're on a good thing stick to it and they are selling as many as they can make.
Something I will say about them is that the finish is so far in front of the Japaneese bikes that mimic them there is barely a comparison.
BMW make sports bikes and tourers but their only effort at the cruiser style was IMO a serious flop (R1200C)

I am not at all a fan of Harleys but I sure am a fan of their marketing machine it has seen them through some dark days indeed.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum