BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Mike101

Mike101
Silver member
Silver member
Morning all,

Yesterday i set about changing my air filter as i have no idea when it was last done.

I went online..did my research and it looked straight forward.

So i thought..right side panel off..tank up and thats about it.  Wrong.

No you will all come back to me telling me that i did it wrong but this is what i did.

I got the right hand panel apart and off no problem and i left the engine bars in place..wrong.

The i discovered that i need the take the left hand side off to get the tank up...ok did that.

Would the tank move....no.  The retaining clips are missing but i could not get it to move at all.

So i put it all back together...easier said than done.  Now i know how to do it it will be ok next time.

But my god what a pain in the **** it is just to change an air filter. 

So after 4 hours i was back where i started at with a new air fileter still in the box.

Am i going mad or is this normal.

Mike

Arlina

Arlina
No worries mate, first time I got nuts too Smile

No need to lift the tank.
The right panel and the intake must be removed.
Then take the 3 clips from the box, remember their position.
Then you can slide the filter out to the right side of the bike.
Place the new one same as you removed the old one, and take a beer.
You need it, because now the clips have to go back Smile
I use a large screwdriver to help me.
After 20 beer put the intake back and place the panel.
Then take it for a ride.
Not as testride, you just deserve the ride Surprised-o: 

Good luck!

Mike101

Mike101
Silver member
Silver member
Wheeldigger wrote:No worries mate, first time I got nuts too Smile

No need to lift the tank.
The right panel and the intake must be removed.
Then take the 3 clips from the box, remember their position.
Then you can slide the filter out to the right side of the bike.
Place the new one same as you removed the old one, and take a beer.
You need it, because now the clips have to go back Smile
I use a large screwdriver to help me.
After 20 beer put the intake back and place the panel.
Then take it for a ride.
Not as testride, you just deserve the ride Surprised-o: 

Good luck!
Are you sure i don't need to lift the tank.  I got the airboxe clips off but the top would not lift up as it was hitting the tank.

Mike

Arlina

Arlina
No need to lift the top of the airbox, slide the filter out.
Check your new filter, then you know why it can/has to slide Wink

Arlina

Arlina
Youtube tutor, at 09:24 he's gonna slide the new filter in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od4r7SoIPRo

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
To get the left rear clip on you will find it very much easier if you have a long nose set of pliers and even better a self locking set. I got a very cheap set as I never will be likely to use them anywhere else.
The filters are not an easy job first time. I have owned a K for 8 years now and worked on them before that and it is never just a straight forward job.How hard can it be to change an air filter 610153 How hard can it be to change an air filter 178468 How hard can it be to change an air filter 78846 How hard can it be to change an air filter 610153 How hard can it be to change an air filter 78846 💣 How hard can it be to change an air filter 61740 :smoke:

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Changing the air filter is fairly easy if you know what you're doing. Both the top and bottom of the air filter have grooves in them that match up to the walls of the top and bottom halves of the air box.  However, the top left side of the air filter does not have a "wall" so the trick is to lift the left (or back if you're looking at it from the right) side of the air filter and slide the air filter out to the right of the bike.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Regarding the tank, you're going to want it off at some stage, even though you don't need it off to do the air filter.

I've found a couple of bikes where the rubber grommets on the frame mounting lugs have pushed through and locked the tank in place.

Suitably sized piece of timber, wrap it an a rag and use it to lever each of the rear corners up a little at a time.

It will pop out eventually.

I always lubricate the tank pins with red rubber grease but vaseline will do.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
MikeP wrote:I always lubricate the tank pins with red rubber grease but vaseline will do.
I lube the rubber grommets with Armor All.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Ah, this takes me back to the first days when I attempted to bring the service up to date on my new-to-me K100RS.  There is no end to the little tricks to learn when working on these bikes for the first time.  I think I made every error humanly possible.  Shocked 
Good advice here, but I'd add that it's nice to have a telescoping magnet handy to fish out the three clips on the air box - after you drop them down into deep, dark recesses of the engine. Sad

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Amen to that bricklayer. The front and rear right hand side clips are not too bad but that one on the left, with long nose pliers, wire, torch and no helper, is a well, family forum so can't say. I've been in there about 6 times this year replacing rubbers and filter and throttle cable, so hoping that's it.
My tip is take the whole airbox off, replace all the hoses and cables in one hit and leave it for another 10,000klm.

Cablebeacher

Silver member
Silver member
Hi all

Read ALL the info on changing the air filter. Last time I was going to replace it I just gave up in the end. Well here we go again!

I found that squashing the black foam spacer on top of the box and pushing it forwards helped. The twisting and lifting the air box top and filter OUT & TO THE RIGHT helped. Still a bit of a pain though.

And then I inspected the filter and blew it out with compressed air and found it was still really, really clean! Oh well...

Yes I did replace it anyway.

Regards
to all of you out there

Mal
Cablebeacher

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
When you have done a few filters you get to realise its not so bad. If you lose the clips they are same as the old Fiat airbox clips found in any breakers yard. Keep a few in your store!!!

The tip about the airbox off and repalcing ALL the pipes and hoses is a very good one. The fuel lines perish with age and the genuine fuel pipe is cheap. Put longer ones on the tank and you can slid and lift it for access to relay box and rad cap etc without disconnecting the fuel lines.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 49,200 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum