BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Brand-new to forum Empty Brand-new to forum Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:00 am

EddieLo

EddieLo
Hi, I'd like to introduce myself.  I live in San Jose, CA, originally from Hawaii.  (I have a home in Kapaa, Kauai where two sons, four grandchildren and nine greatgrands live) 
Today I bought a 1989 K100RS.  I know nothing about this model.  Bike is or seems to be in perfect condition.  All receipts of work done, since new I think.  Seller bought a new Beemer and wanted to empty up space in his garage.  Has 90K on the odo.  I have not ridden it yet as it was raining and I had no rain gear, so it's off for a few days of hibernation until the weather clears up a little.  I have all the books, the Clymer and the owner's manual so gonna do a little reading for a while.  I'm NOT a mechanic, nor a wrencher, so hopefully I can learn a little about this bike by lurking around this forum and hopefully directly from forum members.
As you can see, I have a few bikes.  My wife will only ride pinion on the Morphous.  The rest are too fast for her, or too slow, lol
btw, I'm 75 years old and a cancer survivor and when I'm not riding my motorcycles I ride horses at the R Ranch in the Napa hills.
Thank you all
Eddie

1999 BMW K1200LT "The Silver Bullet"
1989 BMW K100RS "White Ghost"
1986 Honda Goldwing Espencade 1200
1982 Honda Goldwing Interstate 1100
1979 Yamaha XS1100 aka XS Eleven
2003 Yamaha VStar 650 Classic
2006 Yamaha Morphous "The Space Ship"
1986 Honda CT110
1977 Honda CT90
1976 Honda CT90
1968 Honda CT90
1982 Honda ST90
1982 Honda CT70

2Back to top Go down   Brand-new to forum Empty Re: Brand-new to forum Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:16 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hi there Eddie welcome to the forum. I reckon you have enough bikes to be a member but really you only needed one.
What a great collection.
Plenty of help here if you ever need it but the bricks seem to just go on and on and on like a politician.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Brand-new to forum Empty Re: Brand-new to forum Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:37 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Eddie, good to see your still riding at 75, that's something I aspire to.

Nice collection of bikes, we would love to hear your thoughts comparing to them

when you get some miles up on the K.

4Back to top Go down   Brand-new to forum Empty Re: Brand-new to forum Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:41 am

EddieLo

EddieLo
RicK G wrote:Hi there Eddie welcome to the forum. I reckon you have enough bikes to be a member but really you only needed one.
What a great collection.
Plenty of help here if you ever need it but the bricks seem to just go on and on and on like a politician.
Hi Rick.  Thanks for the welcome.  I have a quick question.  I've read references that include "brick/s"  What is that?  I'm old school and do remember "built like a brick shxthouse."  lol.

5Back to top Go down   Brand-new to forum Empty Re: Brand-new to forum Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:48 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome!

"Brick" refers to the engine. So named because it is supposed to resemble one. The early bare aluminium ones certainly looked like a large breeze block (cinder block in the US I believe).

6Back to top Go down   Brand-new to forum Empty Re: Brand-new to forum Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:58 am

EddieLo

EddieLo
Ghost who rides wrote:Welcome Eddie, good to see your still riding at 75, that's something I aspire to.

Nice collection of bikes, we would love to hear your thoughts comparing to them

when you get some miles up on the K.
Hi Phantom ("The Ghost Who Walks")  Thanks for the welcome.  I was hoping to ride the RS today but weather prevented that.  I currently ride The Eleven, the Morphous, and the VStar. That's because I have them insured, lol.  I try to keep three insured (they're all registered) and then rotate to another three, or four.  I'll add the RS and probably drop the VStar.  I use the Morphous for local driving.  It's fun, fast but a little bumpy.  The Eleven is FAST!  So I use it when I want to get somewhere in a hurry, lol.  Nah.  But I really enjoy going fast on it.  I just hibernated the two Goldwings, one which is getting some minor work.  The K1200LT is like new and rarely drive it because it's a little top-heavy for me.  I can't flat foot it, which brings up the question re: the RS.  I can't flat foot it either, even after the seller lowered the seat via the adjustable shock.  I do have riding boots which might help (I was using my tennis shoes when I tried the seat)  Do you know of another way to lower it?  All I need is another 1 inch or so down.  It does not have the original saddle.  btw, the LT is smooth, powerful, and comfortable - perfect for touring.   I plan to do a long haul next spring, around 5K miles.  The RS has new tires so once I get it going I plan to use it for some twisties.

7Back to top Go down   Brand-new to forum Empty Re: Brand-new to forum Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:37 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If you put a rear shock from a K100 RT/LT on it you will be about 1" closer to the ground.
The early K100 with the 8 valve engine and monolever had a shock that is 30mm shorter.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

8Back to top Go down   Brand-new to forum Empty Re: Brand-new to forum Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:47 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
If you just need a little then one thing you can do is have the sides of the rider's portion of the seat shaved down some.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

9Back to top Go down   Brand-new to forum Empty Re: Brand-new to forum Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:11 am

EddieLo

EddieLo
duck wrote:If you just need a little then one thing you can do is have the sides of the rider's portion of the seat shaved down some.
How in the world does one "shave" a seat?

10Back to top Go down   Brand-new to forum Empty Re: Brand-new to forum Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:21 am

moose97

moose97
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome - let's see some pics!

11Back to top Go down   Brand-new to forum Empty Re: Brand-new to forum Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:43 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
EddieLo wrote:
duck wrote:If you just need a little then one thing you can do is have the sides of the rider's portion of the seat shaved down some.
An electric carving knife, after the cover comes off of course,  does a good job.

12Back to top Go down   Brand-new to forum Empty Re: Brand-new to forum Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:30 am

henkozzy

henkozzy
Hoi Eddie welcome to the forum

13Back to top Go down   Brand-new to forum Empty Re: Brand-new to forum Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:44 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool 

Hi Eddie welcome to the forum mate, great collection of bikes you have.

BIG D

14Back to top Go down   Brand-new to forum Empty Re: Brand-new to forum Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:37 pm

Björn

Björn
Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi Eddie,

welcome along. I can't decide which one I envy more: riding the horses or riding the bike at 75 Smile

15Back to top Go down   Brand-new to forum Empty Re: Brand-new to forum Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:47 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
EddieLo wrote:
Cut down the foam on the outer edges of the rider portion of the seat which will make it easier for your legs to make it to the ground. It invokes removing the seat cover, modifying the seat foam and then re-installing the cover. A friend of mine did that on a K75S to get more flat-footed at stops and said it helped..

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

16Back to top Go down   Brand-new to forum Empty Re: Brand-new to forum Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:08 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum, Eddie. Your story makes me feel that I still have a few years riding in me yet.
Just to clarify. Rick mentions the shorter shock on the RT/LT. Is yours the 8v or 16v RS or have I missed it being mentioned?
If it is the 16v then you could fit the older, shorter 8v shock. If it is an 8v, it's possible to buy a 25mm shorter one from Realm Engineering. Supposed to be a good shock too.
Think other suppliers can also supply a shortened version if you ask. Could also raise the forks through the yokes to lower a bit.
Duck's idea of trimming the seat a bit could help. I'm amazed at the seat height of some of the more modern bikes that I have tried and, despite being a short arse, found that I can get my feet on the ground. More modern bike seats seem to narrow where they meet the tank. Either that or my legs are still growing!

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

17Back to top Go down   Brand-new to forum Empty Re: Brand-new to forum Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:54 am

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard. You are not the oldest member of the forum as we have one or two octogenarians still hanging in. Brand-new to forum 652573

My old K100 RT Pics and Mods

18Back to top Go down   Brand-new to forum Empty Re: Brand-new to forum Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:23 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Eddie,
Good to have you with us, there were lowered seats available for these bikes and they come up now and again on the various auction sites.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum