BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Hi all,
To start a ?minor? complaint about the online microfiches that we use. I've two bookmarked, MAX BMW and RealOEM. And while refurbishing my wanna be cafe Racer K75 I came upon an anomaly, i.e. difference, between the microfiches and the part in my hand. In the two microfiches cited before, part #4 the stabilizer between the two forks would appear to be bolted to the fork lowers using four bolts which go down through the top of the stabilizer into a ledges on the fork tubes. Except NO! they do not. In reality in the part in my hand the bolts have to go up through the ledges and screw into the stabilizer.

Ok, it's a trivial error and I could probably live with it. But the bolts are entered as "07 11 9 919 979 FILLISTER-HEAD SCREW - M8X25 (to 08/91)". Now my reading of that entry says it's size 8 bolt 25 mm long. Which I have 4 of but they're too long. So question, have I mis-interpretted the bolt size, i.e. length? They screw in just fine but... too long. And is there a standard thread pitch per bolt size? And how does the nomenclature for metric handle different thread pitches? The Wikipedia article is rather confusing.

thanks

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The K75 with the fork bridge is as you describe and a K100RS and K1100 has the plate with 4 bolts and nuts.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:The K75 with the fork bridge is as you describe and a K100RS and K1100 has the plate with 4 bolts and nuts.
So maybe they just used the same image and didn't bother to note the differences? Sorry the link didn't also bring up the image I'm talking about and you have to drill down to the front suspension level to see it.

Arlina

Arlina

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
That's the correct image. Not at all sure why I didn't get that. I worked both from the bike model/year and from the 7 digit VIN. Still shows 25 mm length. There's gotta be some issue that's causing the bolts to bottom out too soon. My problem when pulling the bike apart some of the bolts didn't get properly labeled and put away. So I've got a 35-50 lb box of nuts and bolts to pull from. I'm sure the correct ones or their twins are in there.

Hmm, wonder if there's some sort of caching issue with my getting to the correct microfiches.
Thanks though

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Don't know by model and year but some of the K75s/K100s have M8 bolts there with shallower than normal heads.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]