BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Clear Plastic Polish Empty Clear Plastic Polish Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:37 am

I've been looking for a polish that can remove scratches from windscreens and take off hazing/cloudiness from screens and car headlights. I got a bottle of Meguiars Plastx which promised to do just that but my results where not what I wanted when applied by hand. I found a product called Novus 123 which comes in 3 bottles with #1 being a cleaner sparkle type liquid, #2 removes fine scratches and #3 removes heavy scratches. This also didn't work too well with a hand application.

I pulled out the cordless drill and my buffing pads and tried both with that. Now we are getting results on light scratches and cloudiness and here's some pics.

The plastx product is far cheaper, the novus is twice the price with less than half the volume.

Clear Plastic Polish Products

Here's the test screen, I'll try them on the top right corner.

Clear Plastic Polish Before

First the PlastX.

Clear Plastic Polish After-plastx

It's working and with not a lot of effort. I becomes obvious that the cloudiness is caused by some sort of coating breaking down. I can scratch bits off with my fingernail once this polish has been applied but not from untreated areas so the polish is working.

I then used the 3 step Novus iin an attempt to clear the screen across to the center.

Clear Plastic Polish After-novus

Hmmm, I was expecting more from this product. I did however reduce the light scratching over the area that had already been polished with the PlastX.

I bought the Novus in an attempt to clear some deep scratches on another screen but it will not do it. Those will require a polishing wheel at least but for hazing like this I think the PlastX is all you need and will do what I'm after. Maybe a bit more horse power on the buffing pads will make the job quicker.

2Back to top Go down   Clear Plastic Polish Empty Re: Clear Plastic Polish Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:46 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Toothpaste is cheaper and can leave your screen "minty fresh". Wink

3Back to top Go down   Clear Plastic Polish Empty Re: Clear Plastic Polish Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:28 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
lol mike

try brasso  rob ...it works
then finish off with plastx

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   Clear Plastic Polish Empty Re: Clear Plastic Polish Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:37 am

This was a problem with aircraft canopies too. People don't realise that apart from the windscreen, fighter jets have plastic canopies.
We used to use a product called Micromesh. Not a polish but a very very fine abrasive sheet on a soft backing. You can get it on ebay for plastic, paint and even fingernail polishing. I have tried it on an amateur pain job and it is fantastic.

5Back to top Go down   Clear Plastic Polish Empty Re: Clear Plastic Polish Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:39 am

I'll try toothpaste/brasso but even Plastx leaves swirls when using a polisher. Nova 123 looks to remove the swirls.

Any idea how to remove stone chips or deeper scratches from it falling against a car. Sandpaper and then polish is looking like the cheapest way for the scratches. The stone chips are a bit deep for that.

I've also been told that once it's clear, a 2pack clear coat will stop the clouding from happening again.

6Back to top Go down   Clear Plastic Polish Empty Re: Clear Plastic Polish Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:42 am

The local sandpaperman sells micromesh right up to 12000 grade.

http://www.thesandpaperman.com.au/micro-mesh/

7Back to top Go down   Clear Plastic Polish Empty Re: Clear Plastic Polish Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:22 am

RobinW wrote:The local sandpaperman sells micromesh right up to 12000 grade.

http://www.thesandpaperman.com.au/micro-mesh/
The idea is to start with about 1800 grade for deep scratches. You use it wet at right angles to the scratch. When it looks a total mess you move to the next grade (2400 I think) and then use that wet at right angles to the way you used the last. By the time you get to 12,000 grade you cannot see any scratches at all and the plastic (perspex) is as clear as when new.
If you are cleaning up fine scratches or "blooming" then you start with a finer sheet than 1800.

8Back to top Go down   Clear Plastic Polish Empty Re: Clear Plastic Polish Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:27 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
a polisher might not be the go rob .....you don't want to melt the outer layers and create more distortions ?

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

9Back to top Go down   Clear Plastic Polish Empty Re: Clear Plastic Polish Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:32 am

In the RAF we did this job by hand, no place for machines on this one!

10Back to top Go down   Clear Plastic Polish Empty Clear Plastic Polish Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:54 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
+1 bikerboy
I've totally ruined an original RT screen by being exuberant and using an electric buffer. Damn thing melted the outside. Be careful.

11Back to top Go down   Clear Plastic Polish Empty Re: Clear Plastic Polish Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:53 pm

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Some good ideas here. Ultra violet light will cause crazing of the windscreen if left outside over a very long period of time. Just go to any aircraft museum with lots of good will and no money.

With toothpaste, just make sure you use the plain white with no fancy additives for best results. Also used for cleaning scuba goggles when they fog up. You do want to see those friendly sharks before they get to close.

As for cleaning insects off your fairing and Perspex screen, then use nothing more than lots of water and your fingernails. For best results remove them before they harden and the acidity in their guts causes damage. Reminds of the joke about what is the last thing that goes through the insect's head when he hits your windscreen?

Dave.

12Back to top Go down   Clear Plastic Polish Empty Re: Clear Plastic Polish Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:34 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
And he said to his mate thats me all over if I had the guts I'd do it again.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

13Back to top Go down   Clear Plastic Polish Empty Re: Clear Plastic Polish Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:07 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
lol! Clear Plastic Polish 723598

14Back to top Go down   Clear Plastic Polish Empty Re: Clear Plastic Polish Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:50 am

charlie99 wrote:a polisher might not be the go rob .....you don't want to melt the outer layers and create more distortions ?

My polisher spun to pieces about 3 bikes ago Charlie, threw nuts and bolts everywhere Smile I'm now using 5" velcro backed pads on a cordless drill.

I tried toothpaste and it dulled the already clear sections so it's more abrasive than the polish but also seemed slower to start removing the haze which seems odd.

I rubbed 90% of the deep scratches off the other screen with 1200 wet, then 1500 wet then polish. I'm picking up a pile of wet/dry and tack cloths for an upcoming paint job from the sandpaperman tomorrow as well as a few pieces of micromesh for a tryout. Very hard to get comparative pics of scratches on a clear screen  :suspect:

15Back to top Go down   Clear Plastic Polish Empty Re: Clear Plastic Polish Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:37 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
bikerboy wrote:This was a problem with aircraft canopies too. People don't realise that apart from the windscreen, fighter jets have plastic canopies.
We used to use a product called Micromesh. Not a polish but a very very fine abrasive sheet on a soft backing. You can get it on ebay for plastic, paint and even fingernail polishing. I have tried it on an amateur pain job and it is fantastic.

"Small world" I was going to say the same micromesh and a final clean with a canopy cloth still used on Tonka's  Very Happy 
This is a good product as bikerboy states and like most jobs patience gives the best reward.

BIG D

16Back to top Go down   Clear Plastic Polish Empty Re: Clear Plastic Polish Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:00 am

Funny that you mention Tonkas. After leaving the mob I ended up as the man at Wyton on your IPT with responsibility for the maintenance policy! I "owned" the topics 2(R)1 and 5! We may have even met in the past.
I gave all that up at the age of 45 to move here and bike around Europe on my pension.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum