BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hello from Vancouver Canada Empty Hello from Vancouver Canada Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:40 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Hello all. Picked up a 1985 K100RS with 90K kms (45K miles) this week that needs a little love. I also ride an '01 R1150RT. I've mainly been in the Japanese market the last few years (85 Honda Interceptor VF1000, 82 Virago 920 shafty, 81 Virago 920 'Euro' chainy). Bringing the R up to speed last year (didn't need very much) showed me how much different the Germans think...

The K bike will be something to keep me occupied through the winter months. Bought it quite cheap because the PO thought the clutch was out of it. When I got it home I found the bad clutch was no more than a clutch cable, now in the mail. With a new battery it should be on the road next week, but I'm going to pull in down a fair ways and pretty it back up. It's got a "Roger Reuben" treatment ie: gold painted engine block, transmission housing, swingarm and final drive, insets on the snowflake wheels, muffler heat shield, and forks. I think I'll glass bead the parts and repaint black or leave aluminum, not sure yet. I'll have to pull the 'brick'. Any thoughts on that? Kinda hate to change out the gold out of respect for Reuben since he recently passed away, but it's flaking too much. Is this board aware of Roger Reuben?

K bike has the Progressive Springs front and rear, Ohlin rear shock, and the coveted "Sprint" fairing that needs a bit of work/paint.

I have absolutely no doubt I will be seeking wisdom from the K sages as I move along.

Final note: What should I also do to the 'brick' for preventative stuff once it's out of the bike? Keep in mind I'll likely gussy this one up and sell it sooner than later, so don't want to throw too much extra money in that doesn't add good value.

2Back to top Go down   Hello from Vancouver Canada Empty Re: Hello from Vancouver Canada Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:44 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
welcome Club_c

If your bike got the Reuben treatment, it should be pretty nice.
BMW had produced a limited quantity of K100 with the gold engine and rims. I think the fairing was made by Krauser. The gold color my not have been a modification made by Roger. Here is a picture of the original K100 special edition (by the way, the engine is not painted by platted):
Hello from Vancouver Canada Img_0210

Here is a picture of a K75 turbo with a sprint fairing. This was one of Roger Reuben bike:
Hello from Vancouver Canada Turbok10

What should you do with your bike?
First, replace all the fluids.
With 90K on the clock, you should remove your differential and check the splines on the drive shaft. The splines require frequent lubrication and if this has not been done as part of a yearly maintenance, you may find some surprises.
The splines on the clutch have to be lubricated too.
If you remove the gear box to grease the splines, you should check if you get any play in your engine output shaft.
Your bike being 25 yo, some of the seals may need to be replaced. I would check the oil/water pump seal.
The engine itself is pretty good and other than the valves adjustment, it doesn't require a lot of maintenance.
As usual, you should clean all electrical connections and maybe check the brushes on the starter.

Other than the differential/drive shaft or engine output shaft, the rebuilt should not be expensive and most of the parts are available on Ebay or IBMWR.

You can check the page on the K100 rebuilt

3Back to top Go down   Hello from Vancouver Canada Empty Re: Hello from Vancouver Canada Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:19 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
I've been doing a lot of reading on this site, so am now aware of the spline and output shaft issues. If the motor is out it shouldn't be hard to split the trans off to have a look. That Special Edition you've posted is gorgeous, mine doesn't look like that though. For sure I have the Sprint fairing, which I know you are partial to. The wheels are all black with the gold in the snowflakes. I'd like to see them back to silver. Thanks for the response.

4Back to top Go down   Hello from Vancouver Canada Empty Re: Hello from Vancouver Canada Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:19 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi and welcome aboard, good to have you with us.

If you browse these pages you will see a bunch of advice on good things to do to your K with regards to getting it up to scratch. All fluids and filters is the first followed by cleaning and treating every electrical connection on the bike with DeoxIt from Caig labs. You will also need to dismantle the bunch of earths under the tank and polish them up and treat them with DeoxIt too before bolting them back. The early bikes had a thinner than optimal earth lead, just put another in parallel to beef it up, worth checking the alternator regulator brush length to be sure they are not too worn.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum