BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Technical Empty Technical Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:12 pm

Gordon Smith

Gordon Smith
Silver member
Silver member
Hi all, could anyone tell me where I will find the orifice in the water system where the temp sender fits. This will save a person of pensionable age having to go on his old knees looking round a K100RT with his glasses on his nose end. I also need to know the thread size as I have a number of types in stock that might fit. This is to shorten the down time{on knees} . Thanks Guys, Gordon

2Back to top Go down   Technical Empty Re: Technical Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:38 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
behind the radiator gordon ...in a very difficult place to get to
here is a pic with the radiator removed
Technical 2013-017

I have found the best way to get there is to remove the lower right fairing  and the air box so you can swing a spanner or two in there at the same time as your hands

sorry don't have the thread size to hand

but it looks like this

Technical Pics_011

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Technical Empty Re: Technical Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:50 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
charlie99 wrote:sorry don't have the thread size to hand

12 x 1,5 mm.

4Back to top Go down   Technical Empty Technical Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:56 pm

Gordon Smith

Gordon Smith
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks 99 for that, it looks as if it will have to wait awhile until if I ever need to get in there. I have ,as a temporary measure, strapped a sender to the hose behind the right hand lower fairing. This is no way as responsive as  being internal but it gives a guide. Thanks once again Gordon Smile

Thanks Inge I will check the ones I have Gordon

5Back to top Go down   Technical Empty Re: Technical Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:05 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
be careful Gordon
the sensor for use on the k100 8 valve  is a dual sensor ( two elements in 1 housing )
the terminals are the outputs of each sensor ...sharing the body as the third terminal

just a heads up

cheers and good luck

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Technical Empty Re: Technical Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:37 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If it's the temperature sensor for the gauge that is on the oil/water pump. There are 2 sensors there the lower is the oil pressure and the upper the water temperature gauge.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   Technical Empty Re: Technical Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:44 am

nino

Life time member
Life time member
I am waiting for new coolant temp sensor, but now I have VDO for bmw 316, 318 from eighties (LE Jetronic). Its same only difference is thread which is 14 mm instead 12 mm on bike. Anybody have experience with this? May I cut 12 mm thread in this sensor just to check. Is it the same type on sensor (one pin for FI, second for fan)

Regards?

8Back to top Go down   Technical Empty Re: Technical Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:54 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It would be a lot easier to put a 14mm thread on the coolant stub that the sensor screws into.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

9Back to top Go down   Technical Empty Re: Technical Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:59 am

nino

Life time member
Life time member
How,  stud thread is deep inside, behind, etc. Are you joking?

10Back to top Go down   Technical Empty Re: Technical Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:17 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
is rick thinking to make a brass adaptor to fit up to the water stub then increase the size of the port to something larger ...then fit the new sensor in there ...a few tools outside the ordinary would be needed ....yes ?

sidecar paul ...or rick  territory I believe (some one with a lathe and good metal skills at least)

11Back to top Go down   Technical Empty Re: Technical Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:34 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
nino wrote:How,  stud thread is deep inside, behind, etc. Are you joking?
No.  There are 2 small bolts and 1 hose clamp.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum