BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
I just picked up a muffler which has had a K75 exhaust adapter welded onto it.  I know the muffler is stainless and I believe that the adapter is also stainless.  I'd like to dress the welds flush to the metal surface and polish the metal if possible, but I'm unsure whether doing so will compromise the structure causing a premature failure.   Can anyone advise me based on the picture of the welds below?

Will dressing welds compromise structural integrity? DSC_0145

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Anything that is structural you never dress the welds. Seeing as that isn't structural then you are fairly safe to dress them but (as always a but) looking at the welds there you will need to do some more welding before the dressing as there a lot of undercutting on the welds that will need to be filled. If you don't fix the undercutting and dress it back to a smooth finish too much of the parent metal is removed making it thin and weak.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Rick.  I guess I'll be lazy and forego dressing the welds then.  I don't have access to welding equipment nor do I have welding experience. So, I'd be dependant on someone to fix this for me (probably big bucks).  It's in an innocuous part of the exhaust line so the welds don't matter too much; I just thought it would be nicer looking all ground smooth.

Speedaddictedberk

Speedaddictedberk
Silver member
Silver member
You could tidy it a bit, as long as you avoid cutting into the parent metal at all.
A decent weld (this isn't one of those) should be at least as strong, if not stronger than the surrounding steel.

http://leportphotographic.co.uk

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
As Berko say's you could touch it up abit without touching the parent metal, and then take it to your local muffler place, they who do nothing but weld up exhaust systems would probably do a touch up on the daggier bits for bugger all dosh and you give them something alittle more entertaining than they are doing every day of the week, they do after all love a perfect weld job, especially if its out of the normal range of things to do.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum