BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
This is on my K1200rs but don’t turn off yet as it applies to all.

This is the example of Moly paste fetish  gone wrong.  The PO must have though that he was doing things right by having a liberal amount of Honda Moly paste spread all over the twist grip to lubricate the action.

Well, in time, the grease dried out and left a thick sticky dry deposit of black moly inside the twist grip making it hard to decelerate in between gear changes.  On the positive side it was an effective cruise control system JJ

I was set to lubricate the cable but after taking things apart I needed WD40 and soft grease to scrape out the residue and grease the handle.

The moral of the story is that moly paste is not a cure for all… splines YES, almost everything else NO!!

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
This is exactly what I found today on the k100.
I cleaned everything with brake cleaner and re applied new grease. The throttle was still sticky.
I put everything apart again, cleaned it and then sprayed silicone on the moving parts.  Now I am happy. 

CF

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
Crazy Frog wrote:...
I cleaned everything with brake cleaner and re applied new grease. The throttle was still sticky.
CF

Yep, you need a solvent to remove the moly mud. Brake cleaner is too volatile for the job.

Just had a thought... if you have heated grips it may be good to use High Temp grease to keep it from melting away. I am sure that this was the reason for moly paste on the first place.

Ned

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
Ok, now that the throttle is working; did you check the lube on the choke?  Shocked  (Hint: I always do maintenance in pairs.)

My old K100 RT Pics and Mods

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
AJ.Valente wrote:Ok, now that the throttle is working; did you check the lube on the choke?  Shocked  (Hint: I always do maintenance in pairs.)
Good thinking Smile
this is for the K1200rs, a computerized model, so no "choke", but will take a good look at my choke on the K100. It does work but as you say, do it all at the same time. Ned

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum