BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Pilot Road or BT45? Empty Pilot Road or BT45? Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:55 am

rhyleyz

rhyleyz
Time to replace my Metzeler tires on my K100RS and I saw a good deal on Pilot Road 3’s and Battlax BT45’s at Motorcycle Accessories|4WO. Does anyone have experience on these tires? Which one is better for all around riding? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

2Back to top Go down   Pilot Road or BT45? Empty Re: Pilot Road or BT45? Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:27 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I cannot personally comment on the Pilots but I have used the BT45 for the last 4 years and very happy with them. Started out this year with a new front and then also a new rear and done a lot of miles on them. Once I had new ones on it felt very confident on the handling and no surprises. They take a little to scrub in and I can feel how they need a little time to warm up on a cold morning. But anytime after a nice ride they feel warm and nice. No complaint over wet weather riding or of the life expectancy. I don't even make 12 months from a front tyre because of the amount of miles I do.  I do a lot of miles in all weathers, commuting, touring, a balance of motorway and country roads. T45 is dual compound so you need to keep the pressures right and even though I am light enough find that I need to be on the high side with tyre pressure.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

3Back to top Go down   Pilot Road or BT45? Empty Re: Pilot Road or BT45? Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:46 am

The BT45s are very good.

4Back to top Go down   Pilot Road or BT45? Empty Re: Pilot Road or BT45? Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:56 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
pretty hard to go past a bt45 ...good from all reports

might I suggest a comparison ...at the next tyre change ...go with the bt 45s for now

but I have to declare my liking for the Pirelli sport demon ...just fitted my 4 th front demon ...and the change after 24,000 k plus is pure delight

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Pilot Road or BT45? Empty Re: Pilot Road or BT45? Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:26 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If it is a 16v RS then go with the PR3s and if an 8v RS then BT45 are a better bet on the narrower rims.
You are comparing 2 very different tyres the PR3s are a radial and the BT45 are bias ply.
I have used the BT45 on a 8v K100 and they aren't even in the same league as PR2s let alone PR3s, you cant make any real comparison.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   Pilot Road or BT45? Empty Re: Pilot Road or BT45? Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:23 am

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
+1 on radials vs. bias ply

I ran Bridgestone multi-compound tires last year. No real regrets. These are good tires handling-wise, but I wasn't to happy with them on the freeway. Will get around 7000mi. on rear before replacement. I found they were a bit rounded to start with, making freeway riding a bit uncomfortable. But, once they broke in they were fine. Then about 5500mi. in cornering I began to feel the seam between the hard and soft compounds.

If you go with Michelin radials consider these:

MICHELIN
Front:         Road Pilot 3 (ST)  SR-V, Reviews 4.8 / 5
                 Duo-compound, X-sipe technology, non-Aromatic rubber
Rear:         Anakee 3 (AS 80/20) SR-H, Reviews 4.7 / 5
                silica tread compound, transverse grooves, indented tread groove

The Anakee will fit a 3" rear rim (tri-spoke), but if your's is 2.5" (Y spoke) you should double check first before ordering. It's possible the Road Pilot 2 will be fine as well, depends on what you're looking for in "wet" performance I believe. 

The Metzler's are a good all-round tire. The Bridgestones are more for sport, while the Michelen's I believe are more for sport touring.

My old K100 RT Pics and Mods

7Back to top Go down   Pilot Road or BT45? Empty Re: Pilot Road or BT45? Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:10 pm

Be made

Be made
Life time member
Life time member
I had a few long long conversations with some of the guys I know here and, after much deliberation I went with the BT's. The pirellis, (apparently) simply don't give the life the BTS do and the battlax has been a proven design, great all rounder for many years now. I got about 7500k's out of my last set and have just put another set on. For the price, too, they are pretty hard to go past. I paid $325.00 nzd for the pair fitted. They seem to grip well in most conditions, better when they get hot. For that sort of money its about 4 .3 cents per K, the same cost per K as a set of car tyres. Unless you are a real speed demon and in to racing the corners the battlax have proven themselves to be more than sufficient for me.

Of course the real trouble is that there is so many many old wives tales and fairy stories around, hung over from the racing track days 50 or more years ago when brand names were really having to prove themselves, that you don't really know what to believe any more.

The only way I know of, of "proving" whats any good or not, for me, is to do it. I keep very accurate records, about batteries, tyres and spark plugs and oils so, from one service perios to the next I can tell what works best in terms of value for money, reliability and performance etc.

In my circs the Bridgestone battlax, like I said, has proven sufficient. From what everyone I have spoken to says Pirellis are great for Ducati type racing track work. Mind you, I am very fortunate to live in a country where the roads are in really good condition, a wide variety of twisties in the countryside tours and long straights, very little gravel on the main tracks but I assume my experience of price and longevity and handling is typical of most peoples unless you are living with extreme climatic conditions such as snow, a lot of ice or scorching heats

8Back to top Go down   Pilot Road or BT45? Empty Re: Pilot Road or BT45? Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:31 am

rhyleyz

rhyleyz
That's a lot of info guys. Thank you! I decided to get the BT45's. Hope they will be here in a few days.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum