BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Eunoia07

Eunoia07
Hello to all!

I have to say that I feel ecstatic of my new acquisition (1993 K75 ~32,000 Miles); and very excited to be able to learn, and form part of this forum which caries a great wealth of knowledge and talented people. 

I must admit though, I know very little about K Bikes; in fact I know very little about motorcycles overall.
YES, this would be my first bike ever and being a BMW fanatic... why not start with some great, German engineering to compliment my 4 wheel beasts! Hello or Hola from scorching hot or stormy Florida! 723598

What is my goal and vision?

Well...some may love it, while some may hate it. 
Loosie (Bikes Name) Laughing is currently in its Frankenstein stage of becoming a (Drum roll) Cafe Racer!
Hello or Hola from scorching hot or stormy Florida! ?ui=2&ik=378b92d0bc&view=fimg&th=1486d17607311018&attid=0

Yes, there are many modifications which I would like to be able to perform, my vision for Loosie is quite grand and the trail will be treacherous and exhausting, with many nights under the bright lights, sweaty palms and probably a few cuts and bruises here and there; but as I always say, where there's a will there's a way!

There is a lot for me to learn, but I hope to accomplish and achieve my goal with the help of those who are patient and generous enough to teach and contribute.

Primary tasks on my list: 

Installation of turning signals. 
Switch controller and Instrument Cluster have been removed. Currently it does not have any working turning signals. Any alternatives, as I do not want to use the Switch controller (too bulky for my taste)?

Front head light turns on, but works sometimes...
Sometimes, not always when I turn the bike on the head light goes off.

The head light always turns on when the key is turned half way, but at time when I turn on the bike the head light acts up and does not turn on or flashes a couple of times and shuts off quickly. I then need to turn the bike off and on again, various times for the front light to turn finally turn on; but remains on for the period of the ride. Loose cable?? 

With this being said, I will say that I truly enjoy constructive criticism and encourage the input for ideas and advise.

Cheers!

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Eunoia
Welcome to K-World where anything is possible. Wink

Sounds like you will enjoy tarting up your Loosie. Don't 'pimp' her too much because this girl likes to be riden hard and she will just get all mussed up when she takes you out for a ride on the highway. My guess is she'll turn you into a very... naughty... boy... Twisted Evil oh yeah!

Just a suggestion... try riding her about for a while as is. Its a very functional bike. Get a feel for the machine before you rip her apart. Keep in mind this is a classic beastie bike and your mods should keep that in mind.

Probably a good idea to post your queries under the relevant technical forums. Include as much detail about your girl as possible such as model while keeping it brief.

Did Loosie come with blinkers/turn sigs or did you strip them off? You should be able to find parts easily enough or just look on ebay for after-market accessories.

When you describe the symptoms of your crazy headlight, you'll need to differentiate between turning on the ignition and starting the engine. Not sure whats happening there without a clearer undersatanding. your ignition can be in four states
1. Off
2. Parking lights on
3. Ignition on - engine not running
4. Ignition on - engine running

With the headlight switch left on, the headlight will come on when you turn the ignition key to the first and second positions. When you press the start button the load shed relay will temp cut power to non-essential equip like the headlght.

If its intermittant after the engine is running then there's probably a lose connection somewhere. Clean electrical connectors and ground connections (there's two), change the bulb etc etc.

Cheers

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Hello or Hola from scorching hot or stormy Florida! Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome aboard

have fun with the build

and post pictures ...when you can .. takes about 5 posts and the introduction (which you have just done )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Hi, welcome. Whereabouts are ye? I'm close to Ft.Lauderdale and might be able to help if you need anything.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Hello or Hola from scorching hot or stormy Florida! Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
onya rene ...

good luck blokes

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
ReneZ wrote:Hi, welcome. Whereabouts are ye? I'm close to Ft.Lauderdale and might be able to help if you need anything.

+1 ReneZ

Read post from Eunoia here also... https://www.k100-forum.com/t8722-florida-miami-ft-lauderdale-mechanics

cheers

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Hello or Hola from scorching hot or stormy Florida! Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

7Back to top Go down   Hello or Hola from scorching hot or stormy Florida! Empty Thanks! Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:40 am

Eunoia07

Eunoia07
Kaptain and everyone else,

Thanks for the feedback!
I bought the bike somewhat modified already, which was a great advantage as I do not carry the knowledge to do such a task; yet. 

Loose came without blinkers. The tail light has a dual function. Brake and blinkers, the blinkers currently do not work, but the tail light function correctly. When I press the blinker buttons (both left and right), it creates a winding noise. 

I have been shopping around and have been reading a bit, but I have been a bit confused in regards to LED blinkers. I seem to be reading everywhere and some sort of special modification needs to be done in order to make them work? Therefore, until now, I have not bought any. 

I have tons of pictures which I wish I could share, but I will have to pay my dues before I can. 

I will go ahead and look around to find some answers, if not I will post a new thread under the technical forum as It seems that this topic has already taken off, but should be moved elsewhere.

I have ridden her very few times,  in fact, I just got my license on Wednesday! cheers She seems to run without a hitch and sounds spectacular, well at least to me. The and owner whom I bought it from used to ride her to work everyday. 

mawhera

mawhera
Gold member
Gold member
welcome Eunoia07, I own a few 90s merc, the germans of the 80s and 90s built the best gear, still do in so many respects. Innovation and quality coupled with long experience + excellence = K100
I+Qxexe=K100
Karl Benz and Gottlieb Daimler both were trained to a large degree in the UK Industrial era, some say error. Porche worked for them early on too. ricardo was a thermo genius
K Iwis trained in the bush and sailed carbon fibre organoic craft all over the Pacific 1000 years + ago. so we all have huge ability, you deserve a K bike mate. fly like a K Iwi. Ansteys our man.
Rick

Rick
K IWI land
New Zealand

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum