BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fork seal is leaking… Empty Fork seal is leaking… Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:54 pm

Oliveri

Oliveri
Silver member
Silver member
I’m aware that this is nothing new and there are plenty of threads about this. However, I need to put this experience behind me and the only way is to ‘vent’.
As this is a project ‘K’ I have been taking my time with various things but since one of the fork seals is leaking and my wheels are freshly powder coated (sitting in the corner) I thought the time has come to do the seals. No big deal, have done this before on different bikes. As always I did a bit of research beforehand to avoid surprises.
Ok, drained the fork tubes (overnight, to get all the oil out) and removed them from the triple tree. By looking at the smelly muck that came out of the fork I might be in for a treat.  

Fork seal is leaking… Forkoiljpg

Clamped the first one into my vice (with some aluminium angle & a rag for protection) and had a closer look at the retaining bolt. I have heard that they can be a bit of an issue at times. Gave it a bit of a wack to loosen it and sprayed some wd40. The bolt showed some sign of wear but let’s see. Hmmm, not happy stripped the first one. I believe ‘The Hulk’ must have installed this set. Let’s try #2, great same thing, stripped also.
Let’s not get upset its only 9am. I dug up my set of ezy- outs and ‘Snap’. It broke. Now it appears that the fairly easy task of replacing the fork seals is turning into a mission. I stated to use large drill bit to take some of the head. Then used a small bit and drilled 4 holes in a cross pattern. 

Fork seal is leaking… Boltin
Then used a steel punch on an angle (through the axle hole) to loosen and eventually rotate to bolt. EXCELENT, one down, one to go.

I was in two minds about trying another ezy-out or simply repeat the mentioned process. But what are the chances of snapping two ezy-outs in a row? Apparently pretty high, snapped the second one as well. It is almost lunch time and my blood pressure is rising. Ok, same process as before, drilled the holes and used a steel punch. OUT. I’ve never been happier to see two totally mangled bolts, ever.

Fork seal is leaking… Boltout

Time for a beer or two.

1988 K100RT...#0096960 ..."Heisenberg"...Status: Work in progress
http://www.oliveris.com.au

2Back to top Go down   Fork seal is leaking… Empty Re: Fork seal is leaking… Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:39 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You have done well many would have wrapped the fork around a tree after the second bolt striped.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Fork seal is leaking… Empty Re: Fork seal is leaking… Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:14 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Excellent. Now come to my house to do mine.

Stripped on bolt.

Too scared to tackle the second one till I find out how hard it is to get the first one out.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

4Back to top Go down   Fork seal is leaking… Empty Re: Fork seal is leaking… Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:33 am

Oliveri

Oliveri
Silver member
Silver member
Believe me wrapping it around a tree crossed my mind, but it became a matter of principle. It wasn’t going to beat me.

I spoke to a bike mechanic mate of mine afterwards and he mentioned that he used a star type bit a size up from the allen bolt. Drive it hard into the stripped bolt head. Apparently this works quite well. 

Fork seal is leaking… Star

1988 K100RT...#0096960 ..."Heisenberg"...Status: Work in progress
http://www.oliveris.com.au

5Back to top Go down   Fork seal is leaking… Empty Re: Fork seal is leaking… Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:06 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Another possibility is one I've employed on occasions: get the next Imperial size up Allen bit and just skim the sides on a grinding wheel. Now introduce it and the destroyed Allen bolt to a big hammer.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum