BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty carbon fibre fairing Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:12 am

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
does anyone know  ,  would a carbon fibre k fairing operates in the same way ,  would there be any advantage ?

http://www.airware.com.au

2Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:15 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
would be a heap lighter beano

and would lighten your pocket by similar extraordinary amounts

unless you can find a cheapie going round

why? ... what have you seen ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:08 am

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
nothin more the my poor old K with a cracked fairing, an rt screen that boogies around in the wing gusts and a vision of carbon fibre rigidity and weight reduction , it seems  commonplace enough of  a media that one of our esteemed will have worked with it . ive seen thar keoernizeg guy making rims from the stuff,a fairing should be easy

http://www.airware.com.au

4Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:10 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I have made model yacht hulls with it and can say that working with CF is not much different than fiberglass.  You can lay it up in polyester or epoxy.  Where it gets a little interesting is when you start doing engineering things with heat and pressure.  

As usual, the tricky part is making the plug and the molds.  For something like a fairing, that could get a bit complicated with accommodating fastenings.  I would guess that the weight savings would lighten an RT fairing perhaps 4-5kg which is a lot less than what the cloth would lighten your bank account.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

5Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Wed May 27, 2015 12:19 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
hmmmm how about a carbon fibre 35-40L fuel tank Wink

wonder how realistic a project that is for a DIYer. 

maybe use the base of a stock tank, and make the upper from CF....

and then Ill make my self a rallyraid style fron fairing Wink

6Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Wed May 27, 2015 12:42 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I am interested in making a contribution as I would like to have a big tank and I have 2 tanks that are good for nothing but the base.
I can get my hands on a R80GSPD tank to make a plug. Not having done glass work I would not know where to start.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Wed May 27, 2015 3:17 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Hey floyd, with a bit of extra time on your hands you seem to reviving some old but good posts for re-discussion.

I think a CF tank would be a great idea given that quite a few of the K tanks are crapping out these days and with a 300klm+/- range its certainly something that could be improved upon.
Producing a new tank would also give us the opportunity to install a more modern fuel cap too.
First step would be to come up with a design in 3D.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 carbon fibre fairing  Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

8Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty cf bits Wed May 27, 2015 1:39 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
I have no doubt that many here are talented and clever. However, I imagine working up a fairing or fuel tank from carbon fibre is a big undertaking.  If you want quality work and wish to avoid the no doubt steep learning curve, you may wish to go with an expert and get what you want in a reasonable time.
In the Laverda community there is a guy whose work is both stunning and reasonably priced.  Go here:
http://www.laverdamania.net/Boba_gb.htm
and have a look.  He ships world wide and he is a top fellow to work with. I have no financial interest in his business, I just appreciate his dedication, talent and service to our Laverda riders.  As far as I know, his work to this point has been on Italian machines, but if the classic K bike riders could work up enough orders, perhaps he will rise to the challenge.

9Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Wed May 27, 2015 6:34 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
wow stunning pieces there brickrider. 

I cant imagine having him design, fabricate the right mold, and manufacture a r80gs style tank to fit a k100, then post it to Australia, would be particularly cheap though....

Worth asking him though I guess. especially if we could get half a dozen orders, like you suggest. 

RickG: im SE QLD based for the foreseeable future. Granted, im currently rather immobile, but at some stage Ill be able to contribute. Wink

10Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Wed May 27, 2015 7:29 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Floyd, there are many Laverda riders in Oz that deal with Boba.  I don't know what the freight to your location would be, but a number of riders have been his customers there in Oz. As you say, it doesn't hurt to ask.  I've bought just one bit from him, and can attest to the good service he provides. And his work is museum quality in my opinion.

11Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Wed May 27, 2015 8:48 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
I could envision a "Kafe" build with the Bimota HB1 tank sitting on the strongback of the frame, instead of the old bulbous BMW thing. It's my pet peeve that all cafe-conversions of the K-bike don't redesign the shape of the major components of the bike, except for the seat and tail (easy-peasy). It might be possible to fabricate such a tank in CF using the Bimota top bonded to a custom bottom to fit over the K-bike frame.

12Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Wed May 27, 2015 9:33 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:I am interested in making a contribution as I would like to have a big tank and I have 2 tanks that are good for nothing but the base.
I can get my hands on a R80GSPD tank to make a plug. Not having done glass work I would not know where to start.
Rick. I've done a bit of fibreglassing. If you're interested let me know, I'd like to give it a go. My tank is not suitable as its got a dingle in the wrong spot but if you have a spare tank, I can make a mould. From there its not too difficult to make an impression. A fibreglass one first to see how it fits together then using CF. Its not tooooo much different... just expensive.

The R80 tank would be a good option but may take a little ingenuity fitting it to a K100 base. Would be an interesting project.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 carbon fibre fairing  Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

13Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Thu May 28, 2015 4:37 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
One option I have been thinking about is that I was told by someone and I cant remember now (CRAFT) He told me that if you cut a K tank down the middle from front to back on the top then it will open out a fair bit without much effort and not destroy the base. Then weld some bits in and make a new cap and you have a 28 ltr tank, but I am yet to try it so we shall have to wait a bit.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

14Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Thu May 28, 2015 4:46 am

bigdavergs

bigdavergs
Silver member
Silver member
There is a chap in Serbia, Ludi Boba, well know to Laverda owners, who makes a number of carbon fibre body parts for various laverda's. Excellent quality and price. Don't know if he could be persuaded to make them for Ks also.

15Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 am

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Rick G, have you ever looked at whether an R80G/S PD tank can be fitted to a K bike frame?

As I have both in the shed it might be worth me having a look at some time in the future when I complete some of the other more pressing projects around here. I quite enjoy messing around with adapter plates to share bits between my bikes as you saw at Karuah when I had my R80G/S seat mounted on my K75.

Cheers

16Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Thu May 28, 2015 5:13 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
No I haven't tried that but even if they could fit have you checked out the price on a 36 ltr tank recently. It will make your eyes water and wallet run for it's life.
Still worth checking it out as it would give a wider choice of aftermarket tanks.

17Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Thu May 28, 2015 7:11 am

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
My thought was prompted by the posts referring to making replica tanks from fibreglass or carbon fibre. If a PD tank could be shown to fit it could give others further food for thought and I'm guessing than not a lot of K owners have an original 36 litre PD tank to measure up/work with.

Cheers

18Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Thu May 28, 2015 8:22 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
There was one on fleabay that went for $1300 about 6 weeks ago. I think a 18 carat gold one would be cheaper.
The shape would be good as it is a recognized shape and I reckon it would be fairly easy to adapt to a K base.

19Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Thu May 28, 2015 9:17 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
robmack wrote: It's my pet peeve that all cafe-conversions of the K-bike don't redesign the shape of the major components of the bike, except for the seat and tail (easy-peasy). It might be possible to fabricate such a tank in CF using the Bimota top bonded to a custom bottom to fit over the K-bike frame.
I think there's something else here too Rob: most people don't realise that you can run the fuel pump and fuel filter in air (Guzzi do it - same pump, different filter). My peeve on the cafe-racer front is the insistence on re-using the brick handlebar switches. You can fit anything you like, as long as you don't mind losing the self-cancelling feature (that's one problem I haven't figured out yet). It also frees you up to use a different front master cylinder too.

Anyway; I agree with everyone else. That's absolutely stunning work. I don't know about the ANZ exchange rate but for the UK/Euro it's an absolute steal. An ally tank would cost you twice the price.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

20Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Thu May 28, 2015 10:46 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Here we go...K1100 with r80gs tank and solo seat. Got the 19in wheel off the r1100gs. Also has a Parabellum Scout Fairing, in carbon fibre off course. 

Just need to sort out the rear rack and maybe an aux fuel tank down where the battery/ecu live Wink

carbon fibre fairing  K1100p11

21Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Fri May 29, 2015 1:13 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Anyone care to take a guess-timate on how much it would cost to have an aluminium copy of the r80gspd tank to suit the k100/1100 frame?

Just for some perspective Wink

22Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Fri May 29, 2015 3:30 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would say $1500 to $2000.

23Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:38 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
You can still get a r80GSPD tank from BMW brand new and primed for $1300USD

24Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:05 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
Have you thought of the later 1100/1150 gs tank. The tunnel is nice and wide so it might fit over the frame, and more available than the 80/100gs tanks, and is set up for a fuel pump.

On the 100gs tank. I'll try mine on the K100 some time to see if it would fit. The K100 is in bits at the moment, so maybe in a couple of weeks.

25Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:38 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Thanks Phil do you know the size of the 1100GS tank. There is a R100GS tank on fleabay ATM but for $1150 I will give it a big miss even if they do fit.

26Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:42 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:Thanks Phil do you know the size of the 1100GS tank. There is a R100GS tank on fleabay ATM but for $1150 I will give it a big miss even if they do fit.

I got excited there for a moment as the 1100/1150 GS tanks are a lot cheaper as Phil pointed out....

However the 1100GS is only 25L and the 1150 is 22L with an optional 30L

The optional 30L would be alright but unsure of price and availability ....

27Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:24 am

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:Thanks Phil do you know the size of the 1100GS tank. There is a R100GS tank on fleabay ATM but for $1150 I will give it a big miss even if they do fit.

You can get them for a few hundred if you are prepared to wait and watch - I got one for a 1150Gsa a few years ago for $350. Yes you want the 1150GSA tank at ~34 litres. I suppose the big advantage is that they are set up to fit a fuel pump whereas the 100gs isnt.

28Back to top Go down   carbon fibre fairing  Empty Re: carbon fibre fairing Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:40 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
NB: Apologies, this has become a thread hijack somewhat. But its also relevant Smile 

Check out this amazing work. 

I think i has a reservoir tank under the engine that house the fuel pump....

Also notice how they have left ample clearance up around the headstock to allow the use of larger dia. forks while retaining full steering lock. If you use larger forks with the stock tank, you bar turing range as far as I know.

Forum Post Here

Fabrication, welding, machining....me wish, me wish....

carbon fibre fairing  Photo_2014-06-29

carbon fibre fairing  Image_2014-06-10

carbon fibre fairing  Image

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum