BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Help needed with ABS fault Empty Help needed with ABS fault Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:34 am

audibob

audibob
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Guys, 
The ABS and the red warning light came on together a while back and I decided its time to fix it ( hopefully!).
Turning ignition on, both abs and red triangulated warning  lights would  illuminate and stay on, then both would flash in unison after pressing both brakes. Whilst riding with both lights flashing in unison  they would then stay on together after I pressed the ABS switch on the console. The cycle would repeat again. 
Recently, on start up,the ABS bulb would not light up, only the red triangle warning lamp. The red warning lamp would stay on after switching on the ignition, then flash after operating both brakes. When the warning lamp  flashes,  I would   press the abs console switch and the warning lamp stays on, and the cycle repeats itself. 
Periodically, with the abs lamp not lighting during start up. it would then light up after some miles, then both lights would flash in unison again.
When the ABS lamp does not light up during start up, it always comes on eventually during a longer ride.
I bought a 12v LED lamp, and connected it. 
The first code she gave me was the front pressure modulater. 1 Flash 
I then did the ABS reset, ignition off, pressing the ABS switch, and then ignition on for 30 seconds. 
Tested the codes again, and got seven flashes, the ABS control unit.

I was hoping it may have been my front sensor, as the gap is only 0.4mm 
I will pull the plug on the unit and look at the connections, but apart from that, I need help.
Thanks for any replies.
Bob

Triumph T 140V Bonneville
Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

2Back to top Go down   Help needed with ABS fault Empty ABS Fault Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:19 pm

audibob

audibob
Life time member
Life time member
Managed to spend some time on my ABS fault.
The console ABS light not coming on was due to a poor bulb holder connection.
A secondhand ABS brain showed 2 flashes, rear modulator , abs brain or battery.
I havent been able to get the battery load tested, but she always starts in the cold very well.
Not trusting the second abs brain, came in a jiffy bag !! and looked as though it had been kicked around the floor, I ordered a third from a more reputable power seller of ebay who stated the unit came off a bike with a fully functioning abs system.
Tried the third and it showed one flash, front modulator, or abs brain or battery.
My original abs brain showed one flash , but then showed 7.
When the abs fault first showed, I seem to remember resetting the brain, then after switching  the ignition on, I applied the front brake, and it  locked up presumably by the modulator. I had to turn the ignition off and pump the brake lever to get the modulator to release the brake. 
My front modulator seems to be the culprit.
questions.
Would bleeding the front system through the modulator help.
Are both back and front modulators wired the same, and if they are, can i hook up my spare rear modulator to the front connector and then see if there are no codes from the brain. 
Thanks for any help.
Bob

Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

3Back to top Go down   Help needed with ABS fault Empty Re: Help needed with ABS fault Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

4Back to top Go down   Help needed with ABS fault Empty abs fault Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:07 pm

audibob

audibob
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Two Wheels better,
I have been reading that article and others concerning ABS faults.
I will reconnect my latest ABS brain and try a reset tomorrow, if that doesnt work I will read the fault code again.
 If it shows 1 flash, then I will replace the front modulator.
Bob

Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

5Back to top Go down   Help needed with ABS fault Empty Re: Help needed with ABS fault Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:53 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Bob if you want good info on ABS testing etc have a look at Tosi Tabuki's site http://bmwk10075abs1fix.web.fc2.com/
He has fixed a few for me and the results are great and turn around time, you could not ask for better.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   Help needed with ABS fault Empty ABS fault Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:35 am

audibob

audibob
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Rick,
I reset my latest brain and then tested for the code, and it showed no fault.  So, full of hope I expected the lights to go out , but no..
read the codes again and flashed once, front modulator. 
Reset the brain, tested  fault code again, no flashes as before, but lights stay on as before after road testing.
Read the code again and one flash front modulator.
I have read his (Tosi) information, and tested resistances on the abs brain connector for the front  modulator.
the front on mine read 
pin  6-9   2.8k ohms      
     6-10  0.97k ohms
      9-10 2.84k ohms 
The information from Tosi states values as  pin 6-9  @ 4.48
                                                                6-10 @ 16.7
                                                                9-10  @19.5 

The meter was set at 20k ohms I presume this was correct, I am no sparky.
Would the lower value from pins 6-10 confirm my front modulator is bad.
I am tracking another unit on ebay
Thanks for any replies.
Bob

Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

7Back to top Go down   Help needed with ABS fault Empty Re: Help needed with ABS fault Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:04 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I honestly cant answer that Bob I have never worked with them much, only when mine went cactus a few times.
If you email Tosi he is very helpful.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

8Back to top Go down   Help needed with ABS fault Empty ABS fault Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:10 pm

audibob

audibob
Life time member
Life time member
Have e- mailed Tosi with what i have found.
I did find it interesting that when I reset the ABS brain, and it confirmed that with no flashes, the lights did not go out once riding.  Seems as if resetting the ABS brain removed the last known fault code, until the bike was ridden and then the current fault and its code, would show itself .
Has anyone " cured " the front modulator by rebleeding it?
Bob

Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

9Back to top Go down   Help needed with ABS fault Empty ABS finally fixed Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:18 pm

audibob

audibob
Life time member
Life time member
I finally have a fully operational ABS system,  just in time for the MOT test. Help needed with ABS fault 723598
A summary of events.
ABS lights staying on. 
Reset brain, no change.
Read codes.
First code read gave one flash, front modulator.
Then after I reset it, it gave seven flashes, which according to TOSI, could be
brain, battery, front or rear modulator.
Battery was good.
so brain or front modulator.
Given the complexity of the brain, I ordered a spare from ebay.

2nd brain .
This read two flashes , rear modulator, brain or battery.
reset brain, but still two flashes. 

Given the poor state of this second brain, I bought a third from a power seller , who stated it came off a working ABS system.

Third brain. 
This showed one flash , the same as my original, before I reset it.
I read the resistance values from the ABS connector, and one value from the front modulator was lower than the others, including the rear modulator values.

Bought a front modulator off e-bay and after resetting the third brain , the lights now go out. 
Yeahhhhhh.
I tried my original brain and the " dodgy" second unit, and the system operates correctly.
I currently have my original brain fitted, the third I will keep as spare, and sell the second unit.
I may read the resistance values from the new front modulator if anyone is interested.

Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

10Back to top Go down   Help needed with ABS fault Empty Re: Help needed with ABS fault Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:10 pm

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
'I finally have a fully operational ABS system,  just in time for the MOT test'

ABS isn't tested in the bike MOT.

Mike

11Back to top Go down   Help needed with ABS fault Empty Re: Help needed with ABS fault Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:58 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Tiz to see all had been resolved

12Back to top Go down   Help needed with ABS fault Empty ABS Fault Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:08 am

audibob

audibob
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks, Mike, Rick,
I know they do not test the ABS system, just wanted it working correctly so it didnt show the ABS light staying on  when he rode her in. Some MOT testers will fail on that and some will let it go. 
It is reassuring to have the system working again.
Bob

Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

13Back to top Go down   Help needed with ABS fault Empty Re: Help needed with ABS fault Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:54 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
audibob wrote:
I may read the resistance values from the new front modulator if anyone is interested.

If you don't mind.  I still have to sort mine out one day, so the more info I have the better. 

I have spare modulators and a brain off my RT. 

Meanwhile, the brakes still work.  No MOT here Smile

14Back to top Go down   Help needed with ABS fault Empty ABS Fault Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:10 am

audibob

audibob
Life time member
Life time member
Hi TacKler,
my new front modulator reads as follows with ignition off.
pin 6-9   4.38k ohms
     6-10  5.26
     9-10   9.58

as my old unit gave me 
     6-9      2.8
     6-10     0.97
     9-10     2.84

the "new" modulator values are higher 
perhaps my old unit failed with the low reading from pins 6-10 
Hope this helps.
Bob

Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

15Back to top Go down   Help needed with ABS fault Empty Re: Help needed with ABS fault Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:48 pm

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
'Some MOT testers will fail on that and some will let it go.'

If they don't ride the bike over 4mph the ABS won't complete its self test anyway, so the lights will remain on. They won't know it's faulty.

A few years back I spoke to my tester (I have used him for 10 years), as on my R1150RT the ABS lights will always flash until the bike has been ridden. He wasn't interested in the lights being on. Not to say they won't bring bikes in line with cars though.

Mike

16Back to top Go down   Help needed with ABS fault Empty Re: Help needed with ABS fault Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:54 pm

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the info Bob. 

I'll print this thread and file it away for a rainy day.  Very Happy

Cheers, Dave.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum