BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Rat-Scrambler Adventure Sun May 17, 2015 5:41 pm

scramblerftw

scramblerftw
1986 K100RS before
Rat-Scrambler Adventure Lo4r-211

La Rata del Desierto today (almost done)
Rat-Scrambler Adventure Q7hsc-10

It's a scrambler.
It's a rat bike because I built my own intake using two fire extinguishers and the expansion bottle is a water bottle for cyclists, among quite a few other details.
It's an adventure bike because it was built for taking a 7000km ride round trip to Spain next month.

I will be posting detailed pictures in other posts.

2Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty The seat Sun May 17, 2015 5:50 pm

scramblerftw

scramblerftw
I always build my own solo seat. Flat, so that you sit on your butt and not on your prostate. It looks small and hard and it is, but it works great for me on long rides. As usual I make them the base in wood and add a 40mm layer of sound insulating foam. It's pretty hard, that's what you (well, I) need for a long ride.

Last year we took a 1200km trip with a friend on a BMW R1200GS. I rode my 2014 project (XJ900 scrambler) with the same type of seat. On the last part of the trip, he was in real pain while I was still doing fine. 

Rat-Scrambler Adventure _itsf-10

Rat-Scrambler Adventure Dyt4r-10

Rat-Scrambler Adventure Yyolv-10

3Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Sun May 17, 2015 7:25 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum.
Nice to see something different from the usual cafe racer custom.
That's some Sat nav on the tank! Very Happy
What is it? We're all dying to know.
I'm planning on some type of rack but intend to shorten the rear frame loop first. Keep us posted on your progress.
I have a GS as well and would agree that for an expensive bike, the standard seat is pretty bad after a 100 miles.
Tell your friend to buy a Sargent seat for his GS.
I picked one up second hand for a reasonable price. It's the lower version which suits my short legs and despite the firmer foam, it's 300 mile in a day comfortable.
A friend and I are planning a trip through France and the Pyrenees at the end of August so will need the comfort. sunny

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

4Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty The control panel Mon May 18, 2015 5:03 pm

scramblerftw

scramblerftw
Thanks Comberjohn!

This bike is some kind of war machine. The intention is not to have anything fancy on it. Instead, it all should look bellicose, warlike. This is achieved by painting on rough metal, leaving weldings unclean, using stencils for painting, etc. In addition to this, I built a control panel on top of the tank that will wrap up the look I wanted.

It features the original speedometer with a rough/old looking face plate and adds three elements not present in the original bike: Water temperature gauge, digital voltimeter and a USB port. It keeps fuel and oil pressure indicators and features four 3-position military switches, which are solely used as a combination to start the bike. It's only 81 combinations, but it's more than I need. I deeply dislike motorcycle keys!

Last, neutral and choke indicators is something I don't need, and since I have a voltimeter and a thermometer, I thought I could skip those two indicators as well. Tachometer is also something I can live without. 

On the side it reads "Desert Rat" in Russian. I think the Cyrillic letters kicks hostility up another notch (leaving politics aside, of course)

Rat-Scrambler Adventure 3ihsr-10

The entire box is lifted from the back, and it comes up along with the fuel cap. Just lift up and refuel. Again, no keys.

5Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Mon May 18, 2015 6:15 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
I have to applaud your lateral thinking and not conforming to the usual modifications. It's certainly making me rethink some of the things I was planning.
While one or two may question your choice of colour scheme, it's certainly a lot more interesting than painting everything matt black. Not a lot of alloy polishing time required either!
I'm sure that it will get plenty of attention wherever it goes and, after all, isn't that part of the reason to customise a bike.
Is the battery in the ammo box?
What lights are you using?
I'm guessing you are still using the original exhaust. I'm now thinking about cutting it and welding in a section of pipe that can connect to a R1200GS silencer. I don't want a noisy pipe that would be tiresome after riding for a while and the GS silencer is well made and cheap to buy on eBay.
Your method of switching on the ignition is simple and probably as effective as a 30 year old mechanical switch.
I was thinking of something on the lines of a proximity key and a start button on the lines of modern cars but not sure how practical or reliable it could be. Not sure I would trust China's finest but haven't really found anything suitable yet.
Agree with you about having too much info at times.
My first road bike had a neutral light and a high beam light and I managed for decades without a gear indicator!
Until recently I had a K1600GT. Too much information!
Simple is good.
A recent thread talked about how customising K's has become boring with so many cafe racers, not all of them well made.
Maybe practicality instead of art will make a comeback.
Always said that Roland Sands gets paid too much money for turning parts of motorcycles into fresh air. Cool

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)

6Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Tue May 19, 2015 2:44 am

scramblerftw

scramblerftw
Thank you for your kind words, Comberjohn. 

Yes, simplicity goes a long way and that is one think I tend to put focus on. In a 7000km trip you want to minimize points of failure and make the bike as easy as possible to repair. 

My goal is for the bike to look rough, mean. It is a bike that you expect to see in a Mad Max movie, or that you would like to ride when the long awaited zombie apocalypse finally takes place Smile

What's a top priority is that it is reliable, easy to fix and, most importantly: unique. For some reason I cannot enjoy riding a bike that's another one out of thousands made.

The headlamp is from a Kawasaki 250 from the 70s. It reads "Made in Japan" underneath. 

The original airbox, I guess, was designed to shamefully cover the side (now top) of the old Peugeot engine block. I might be wrong, but I personally have no doubt that there has been though put into that (covering up). Removing the airbox reveals the shape of an engine block that was clearly conceived to be used vertically. When laid down, it gets inevitably full of dirt and water that simply stays there forever, and looks quite awkward.

I didn't like the cover up part and I tend to highlights parts of the motorcycle that have not seen before, specially if they look unconventional. Some of these things are the beautiful rear fender and the "Made in West Germany" stamp, both covered by the original seat and fairing and the nice BMW logo in the gear box block, originally covered by the battery and support.

Rat-Scrambler Adventure Madein10

Removing the clunky airbox enables easy access to the fuel pressure regulator and leaves plenty of room for hosting a 14amp gel battery. I built a support for it using some of the screws in the block that originally supported the airbox. The battery is now easily accessible and I carry a set of crocodile cables in the ammo box (and a mini multitester) to ease the pain of any eventual troubleshooting down the road.

Rat-Scrambler Adventure Bateri10

Yes, the battery is now close to the radiator, but it lays underneath the fan deflector, which means it won't get direct hot air. I don't anticipate this to be an issue, but I will make a 1200km trip before the long one, so I have time to move it further back if needed. You can clearly see here how many spots will preserve dirt and bugs forever, but you can now easily hose it all away.

As far as the intake, that deserves a new post, which is coming up soon.

7Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Tue May 19, 2015 3:11 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
I'm not to sure I like the overall design but I do really like the simplistic style you have achieved. Very nice.
I notice the engine block and drive train have been painted. What type of paint have you used for this?

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Rat-Scrambler Adventure Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

8Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Tue May 19, 2015 3:28 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The engine block is NOT a Peugeot. This stupid lie will not die. BMW did use a Peugeot engine in the very first prototype that they made and that IS as far as it went. The K100 engine is ALL BMW.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

9Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Tue May 19, 2015 3:51 am

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Think you've annoyed Rick. Rat-Scrambler Adventure 652573

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)

10Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Tue May 19, 2015 3:59 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
I don't even think it could've been called a prototype. A peugot 104 was used as proof-of-concept... then, I think I read somewhere, the whole thing was destroyed.

11Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Tue May 19, 2015 6:29 am

scramblerftw

scramblerftw
Thanks Kaptain Holister. I used Cummings Beige Engine Enamel, by Plasti Kote. 

As far as the Peugeot block, if that was merely used for a proof of concept and then scrapped, then BMW managed to design from scratch an engine that very nicely resembles a 4 cylinder car engine mounted sideways Smile

Regardless of where does it come from, I love it.

12Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Tue May 19, 2015 7:22 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Yes, they designed it from scratch. Their idea was from the start was to design a new m/c engine based on a 4 cylinder car engine but needed to to keep it horizontal. They just happened to use a Peugeot engine to prove it would work in a m/c frame. They then chucked it in the bin Laughing . They'd already been building high quality 4 cylinder engines for some time with a huge worldwide reputation, why would they copy a Peugeot?

I've been thinking about eventually painting my engine completely. I think its a good solution to aging alloy and would be very serviceable.

I look forward to hearing about your on-road adventures.
Cheers

Last edited by Kaptain Holister on Tue May 19, 2015 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total

13Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Tue May 19, 2015 7:42 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
I hope your rat scrambler keeps up with the GS boys, cant have you let the side down now mate, good work, you should have a ton of fun on that.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

14Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Tue May 19, 2015 8:11 am

MadRider

MadRider
Silver member
Silver member

It's a scrambler.
It's a rat bike because I built my own intake using two fire extinguishers and the expansion bottle is a water bottle for cyclists, among quite a few other details.
It's an adventure bike because it was built for taking a 7000km ride round trip to Spain next month.

I will be posting detailed pictures in other posts.
Where did you get this secret russian weapon?  Smile
Very interesting style

15Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Tue May 19, 2015 8:29 am

scramblerftw

scramblerftw
Kaptain Holister, gotcha. I promise not to say that it's a Peugeot engine anymore Smile

K75cster, I can easily put 1000km a day (for several days) so I'm sure I'll be ahead of the average GS boy (the K100 will handle that just fine)

спасибо MadRider! The idea was to give the impression of some old Soviet war vehicle, though it has a Made in Japan headlight and a Made in West Germany stamp in the frame Very Happy

"Что русскому хорошо, то немцу смерть " Wink
(old Russian proberv, for MadRider)

16Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Tue May 19, 2015 8:31 am

scramblerftw

scramblerftw
For those interested, I do this every year (buy an old motorcycle, customize it the way I like it, take it for a long ride and sell it before the season is over). Some of my previous builds here: 

http://julian.coccia.com/gallery/motorcycles/index.html

17Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Tue May 19, 2015 6:21 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
An MZ!
I used to have the 250cc version about 42 years ago. An ETS 250 with the one piece tank and seat with the leading link forks.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)

18Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty The intake Wed May 20, 2015 1:00 pm

scramblerftw

scramblerftw
Yes, Comberjohn, it is an MZ Trophy which still carries the Eastern German license plate and vehicle inspection stamp. It's a present from my bike-dad.

It's time to talk about the intake. The airbox is the first thing I dump when getting my hands on a bike. In this case it's such a big box that I rushed into it. 

It was quite surprising to find inside a MAF the size of Cincinatti, so it was all going to require some serious modifications. When I removed the left part of the airbox (the one that connects to the throttle bodies) and tried to put it back, it was such a pain that I understood I could not live with that. Having everything accessible outside of the engine block is a must in every bike I build. So, I dumped it all and started from scratch.

Using two 2kg fire extinguishers and some silicon hoses I built a new intake that would connect the four 40mm throttle bodies with the 60mm MAF. 

Rat-Scrambler Adventure Mxo4c-10
Rat-Scrambler Adventure X8tsc-10

The word воздух (Russian for "AIR") was written using a stencil (I 3D print all my stencils, BTW, which is quite convenient). What I like about the Russian language is that you write the word AIR with a stencil in a piece of metal and you would think it actually says "Missile launcher" or something like that. Russian language looks quite mean with stencil fonts, which is very cool Smile

The silicone hoses attract dust like it's their job, which is great in this bike. Black hose clamps completed the look I was looking for. 

Rat-Scrambler Adventure Fiqlv-10

Note the quick release for the return fuel line. I tried in the fuel supply line, but it won't take the fuel pressure. Now it's just one clamp/hose to remove the tank.

The MAF looks very robust and seems like it could take a lot of pain without any further treatment, so simply sits outside with the plastic cover and cable connector facing back. 

A bit more welding took place to make an adapter from the square MAF window (and four bolts) to a standard 60mm racing air filter. The air filter nicely pops up from the hole left between tank and radiator after removing the fairing. It sits behind the radiator side which means it breaths good while still hiding behind the radiator.

Rat-Scrambler Adventure Hyklc-10
(there is no water leak, but some spilling as I topped up the radiator before taking this picture)

As you can see, after the intake with the MAF, filter, and even the battery, there is plenty of space to make it all very accessible, including the fuel regulator, which was deeply buried into the bike before.

I took a first ride today and it all works pretty well. It feels like some kind of a two week tank. I have some minor adjustments before my 1200km (test) trip next week.  cheers cheers cheers

19Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty First ride Fri May 29, 2015 4:23 pm

scramblerftw

scramblerftw
The 1200km test ride is completed. This is not a bike. She's a hammer!

Rat-Scrambler Adventure Ru5jr-10

The stiff, flat seat in combination with the off-road handlebar feels like you are sitting on a wall. Yet, no butt pain after 1200km. The 40mm sound insulation foam has proven, once again, to work a lot better than a standard seat for long rides.

She cruises at 100mph like a champ and has no issue catching up with my friend's R1200GS. We had a blast!

Rat-Scrambler Adventure 78slv-10

This Sunday we will film a small documentary about her. More info on this to come.

Rat-Scrambler Adventure R8slv-10

20Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Sat May 30, 2015 7:28 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Sounds like a beast.
Would be interesting to see what fuel consumption you get out of her.

21Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Sat May 30, 2015 7:41 am

MadRider

MadRider
Silver member
Silver member
How do you ride without front fender?
I tried once in rainy weather, and dirt was everywhere on the bike and me Smile

22Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Sat May 30, 2015 11:27 am

scramblerftw

scramblerftw
Kaptain Holister: 7L/100km cruising at 140km/h and a bit over 8L/100km cruising at 160km/h (heavy winds and rain all the time). Speed/distance measured with my GPS. It's about a 20-25% more than what my friend was getting on his stock 2004 R1200GS.

MadRider: It didn't bother me at all. Note the position of the headlight and the luggage rack. I'm sure it would be a different story with an empty rack, though. 

23Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Sat May 30, 2015 2:55 pm

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
A fascinating creation. How many hours did it take to create? John

24Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Sat May 30, 2015 3:03 pm

scramblerftw

scramblerftw
Thanksk100virgin! It took six weeks of my entire free time including weekends. This would have been impossible without my wife's neverending patience Smile

25Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Sat May 30, 2015 4:52 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
You still haven't told us about the painting.
Did you spray it on?
What kind of paint is it and did you use a primer paint?

I'm not surprised that you find the brick fun to ride. The last one I had, an RT, had the fairing removed from time to time and I found it easy to ride quickly and throw around. Feels like a 250!
Most of the forum members haven't had that pleasure and carrying a fairing, despite its advantages, makes it a bit of a lump to handle. My first K was a naked and the project I have now is the same. Probably with an upright seating position.
Someone else called it a 'funduro'. Like that description.
Not doing much to it over the summer, got the GS to play with, but trying to work out what to do next winter and watching for bits and pieces on eBay in the meantime.
Don't tell the rest of them, but if I was able to build or afford something like the sKrambler, I could part with the GS. Back to the dark side. :pale:

Last edited by Comberjohn on Sat May 30, 2015 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)

26Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Sat May 30, 2015 4:54 pm

scramblerftw

scramblerftw
Plasti-kote engine enamel "cummins beige" on bare metal. No primer.

27Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Sat May 30, 2015 4:55 pm

scramblerftw

scramblerftw
(spray can)

28Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Shooting session Sun May 31, 2015 6:59 pm

scramblerftw

scramblerftw
Shooting session today was amazing. Aerial shots using a DJI Inspire-1 (4K)  and moving footage from a car using a DJI Ronin gimbal with a 4K video camera. I will post the Youtube link here as soon as the video becomes available. Here's a frame for now:

Rat-Scrambler Adventure Ubflc-10

29Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:27 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Me like.  Laughing

30Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Short film Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:03 pm

scramblerftw

scramblerftw
The short film is finally here. Enjoy! (watch in HD)

31Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:26 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Ahhh.
Mere photographs will never be the same again after watching this.
Lovely little movie.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)

32Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:35 pm

scramblerftw

scramblerftw
Thanks Comberjohn  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

33Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:03 am

MadRider

MadRider
Silver member
Silver member
I like your movie Smile
And here are some Soviet war units from museum, I know you like such things Cool

Rat-Scrambler Adventure SergievPosad-Aleksandrov381.1434182605

Rat-Scrambler Adventure SergievPosad-Aleksandrov380.1434182475

Rat-Scrambler Adventure SergievPosad-Aleksandrov378.1434182214

34Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:42 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
WOW scramblerftw! Very Happy Very Happy

Lovely bike.

Amazing film.

Pick yer game up everybody!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

35Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:17 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Brilliant - absolutely brilliant.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

36Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:49 am

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
Rat-Scrambler Adventure 212902

k-rider

37Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:25 am

wetdog

wetdog
They do make a mile muncher rat , this is mine @200,000 miles has a misfire for the first time in its life , just change the oil and ride\\

Rat-Scrambler Adventure <a href=https://2img.net/h/oi59.tinypic.com/vp9l3o.jpg" />Rat-Scrambler Adventure Vp9l3o

Rat-Scrambler Adventure 2rxtgua

38Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:18 pm

scramblerftw

scramblerftw
Thank you all for your comments. Those Russian tanks are awesome, and so is that rat. 

Keep all those K100s rolling!  

Big thumb

39Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Re: Rat-Scrambler Adventure Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:43 pm

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
I really like this build...can you tell me what handle bars you used? and did making the seat lower make the seating position easier to reach the bars?

40Back to top Go down   Rat-Scrambler Adventure Empty Handlebar Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:13 am

scramblerftw

scramblerftw
Martyman, this is the handlebar I used: http://www.biltema.se/sv/Bil---MC/MC/Tillbehor/Styre-och-handtag/Styre-aluminium-286-MX-2000021122/

I'm 6'3" (1.9m) and I love riding with my arms extended. This works fine with me, but due to the height of the handlebar, it makes a hell of a difference if you tilt it a bit.

The low seat somehow sinks you further into the bike, and the raised instrument panel makes you feel you are riding a tank or something like that  Very Happy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum