BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Rear Brake Empty Rear Brake Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:31 am

Howard64180

Howard64180
This is the K100 that has stood for years.  Yesterday I reassembled and bled the rear brake.  The bleeding began by gently pumping the pedal and watching the bubbles rise in the reservoir.

I then used a bleeder that consists of a short hose with a split in the end - this lets fluid out but doesn't let air back in.  This all went very easily and the brake appears to work fine.  I can't try it on the road as yet.  

But when using the brake bleeder the caliper pistons were sucked back away from the disc.  The question is, could this mean that the master cylinder return hole is blocked?  Do the bubbles rising in the reservoir come from the feed or return hole?

I see from an earlier thread on rear brakes that I can't remove the plastic feed nozzle to the master cylinder without destroying it.

2Back to top Go down   Rear Brake Empty Re: Rear Brake Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:13 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I suspect your brake bleeder is creating the odd behaviour. Two easy ways to check:

1. Attach a normal piece of hose and check it that way. If the hose is transparent/translucent put a big curve on it to allow the fluid to rise up before dropping into the container. That way you can see the bubbles.
2. Leave it over night and check the brake tomorrow. If it's still good then yes, the bleeder (!! Shocked ) is the source of the behaviour.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   Rear Brake Empty Re: Rear Brake Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:27 am

Howard64180

Howard64180
Thanks for that.  I really like the sound of number 2 because I've already left it overnight and it's fine  Smile

Strange thing is, I've been using this brake bleeder for years, and only recently on the front brake.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum