BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Starter Motor Question  Empty Starter Motor Question Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:32 pm

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Recently whilst touring Europe I experienced starter motor problems which resulted in the legendary Georg from the flying brick forum attending my hotel with a replacement starter motor.  Meanwhile in anticipation of his limited time I stripped the bike to the required level to save time in the garage of the hotel. 

Georg phoned when he arrived and when I met him in the foyer he was having an animated conversation with the owner in German.  As I was staying at one of the MOHO, Motorrad Hotels the owner Franz was the usual bike nut and had a completely equipped garage with tools and work stand available and he was “put out” that I did not ask him for assistance! So we duly moved the 75 into the workshop. 

After swapping starter motors, the old one was stripped and contained a fair bit of “dust” inside.  Also the cover only had two magnets, one of which was slightly damaged and not four.  Now my question is this;

Are two magnets a 75 thing, not four or is that indicative of the year, manufacturer or something else?  Also will two magnets be more likely to cause initial starting problems rather than four? Especially if the armature is dirty. 

It is a long time since I have starter motor problems so my brain had forgotten the usual remedies such as, tap the starter or rock the bike back and forwards in second gear.  I had jumped started it a couple of times and always tried to park it on the downhill. 

I would like to add that Georg drove ninety minutes each way to assist me before a couple of hours sleep to head off on a family holiday the next day.  This was after I spoke to him at 7:00pm.  A huge and unexpected effort for which I cannot thank him enough. 

Also a plug for Franz at the Hotel Post, Galtur, Vorarlberg, Austria.  www.hotel-post.at  A modern and stylish hotel which also a ski hotel in winter.  The drying room downstairs is perfect for motorcycle gear and the food presentation for dinner was exceptional.  As I was travelling westward the next day I was provided with a Silvretta Card which saved me 11 euros when I rode over the Silvretta Pass. 

2Back to top Go down   Starter Motor Question  Empty Re: Starter Motor Question Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:56 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have come across some 2 magnet ND starters in the Hondas. The smaller 4 cylinder bikes had them but have not come across any in the Ks.
A 4 magnet motor has a much higher starting torque which is why the small 4s had a 2 magnet starter and the bigger twins and fours had a 4 magnet unit.
Esentially the K starters are the same case as most of the ND starters and all but for the brush configuration they are the same. They do have a different rear case to accomodate the method of fastening it down.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Starter Motor Question  Empty Re: Starter Motor Question Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:21 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Rick.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum