BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   wet spark plugs Empty wet spark plugs Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:24 pm

bigshrek

pleeese help i have a 1986 rt with 175000 miles on the clock the bike was running fine then it started running rough as if it has a missfire it wont idle at all the plugs are fine and are sparking ok. i have changed the throttle sensor the coolant sensor reads 4 ohms when tested i have also changed the air flow meter every time it runs up and then stalls it wont start again i take the plugs out and they are soaking the only thing i can see is the throttle bodies bottom seals look perished could it be that iam at my wits ends with it.

2Back to top Go down   wet spark plugs Empty Re: wet spark plugs Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:33 pm

reg_K100RS

Silver member
Silver member
Hi Bigshrek
175000 miles ??
Wow, I hope that means I have another 100000 left in mine

When you say coolant sensor do you mean the one tucked down just behind the rad ?
bottom left when sat on the bike?
I had the rad off mine last week when working on it and recall measuring across the terminals and
getting something more like 4-5 Kohms (engine cold, ambient temp of about 16 degrees)
Not sure if this is significant or helpful though.

Reg

3Back to top Go down   wet spark plugs Empty Re: wet spark plugs Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:48 pm

reg_K100RS

Silver member
Silver member
Just did a search and found this thread
http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/electrical-f8/oh-dear-and-now-temp-issues-k100-rs-t829.htm?highlight=temp+sensor

theres a graph which corresponds to my memory/guestimate and makes your
4 ohms sound ominous

4Back to top Go down   wet spark plugs Empty Re: wet spark plugs Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:26 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
He bigshrek, whereabouts are you? I've got a '84RT and a bit experience behind me. Happy to help.

4 Ohm is way to low for the sensor, could it have been 4kOhm?

Normally too much fuel comes from bad connectors in the coolingwater sensor line or the sensor itself gone bad. Perished rubber parts, although very bad for your engine running. Some more posibilities. What have you done so far??

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland wet spark plugs Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

5Back to top Go down   wet spark plugs Empty Re: wet spark plugs Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:11 pm

bigshrek

hi rene
i will re-check the 4 ohms bit i stay in clydebank but the bikes at my work just down from anniesland iam almost positive its electrical its getting a good spark well at least until it floods i had a problem with the starter relay all it was doing was clicking so i earthed the brown wire and it will turn over and start now i dont think thats got anything to do with the wet plug sympton ive stripped out the air flow meter and all seams fine i have also renewed the throttle sensor. When i took the plug off the coolant sensor it was a bit green with corrosion will clean that up any help would be greatly appreciated
iain

6Back to top Go down   wet spark plugs Empty Re: wet spark plugs Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:34 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
recently, I had got the same problem and it was the plug of the FI computer that didn't "click" correctly. The engine was flooding to the point that the gas was mixing with the oil in the crankcase

7Back to top Go down   wet spark plugs Empty Re: wet spark plugs Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:40 pm

bigshrek

hi
i know it was fitted right i heard the click that was the first thing i checked ive had it before when it didnt start once cheers
iain

8Back to top Go down   wet spark plugs Empty Re: wet spark plugs Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 am

reg_K100RS

Silver member
Silver member
If the sensor is suspect
You could nip down to Maplins or RS, get a 4k7 pot for about a quid
(actually cheaper, just looked.-> min pot lin Code JM70M £ 0.80 in Maplins)

Solder two leads between the sweep and one outer track connection then
disconnect the plug and use the pot to replicate the sensor.
turn it up for cold ( 4k7), down for hot.

maybe just bunging a 1K resistor
across the pins might persuade the EFI
yer not chipping ice off the
bike wet spark plugs Icon_biggrin

wet spark plugs Arrow_up

9Back to top Go down   wet spark plugs Empty Re: wet spark plugs Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:25 pm

bigshrek

i have just checked the coolant sensor again and it works fine back to the drawing board wet spark plugs Confusedwet spark plugs Confusedwet spark plugs Confused

10Back to top Go down   wet spark plugs Empty Re: wet spark plugs Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:53 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Can you tell us how you checked it?

Rene

11Back to top Go down   wet spark plugs Empty Re: wet spark plugs Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:37 pm

bigshrek

took the sensor out and checked it with a multimeter got 3.5 kohms at normal temperature then heated a cup of water and it went down to 1.6 kohms

12Back to top Go down   wet spark plugs Empty Re: wet spark plugs Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:29 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
OK, sounds good. Do you know the temperature of the water when you got the 1.6K? Does it follow more or less Bert's graph?
The amount of extra fuel you're getting makes me wonder if you have a short in the cable between the injectors and the ECU (they open when that happens).

Rene

13Back to top Go down   wet spark plugs Empty Re: wet spark plugs Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:56 pm

bigshrek

yes the diagram was spot on yes i thought of that will do a check on the loom next

14Back to top Go down   wet spark plugs Empty Re: wet spark plugs Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:01 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
OK, let us know how you get on. Otherwise its easy enough to come over one (dry?) evening next week.

Rene

15Back to top Go down   wet spark plugs Empty Re: wet spark plugs Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:51 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Good on you ReneZ.
Regards,
K-BIKE

16Back to top Go down   wet spark plugs Empty Re: wet spark plugs Tue May 25, 2010 3:16 pm

bigshrek

At last problem solved it was all my fault due too lack of maintenance the choke was seized on what an idiot but hey ho you live and learn thanks for everybodys help............

17Back to top Go down   wet spark plugs Empty Re: wet spark plugs Wed May 26, 2010 2:13 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for sharing that bigshrek, all too many don't admit what they did and then we don't all learn so we can think to ourselves "I mustn't do that" about whatever the issue is.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Last edited by K-BIKE on Fri May 28, 2010 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total

18Back to top Go down   wet spark plugs Empty Re: wet spark plugs Wed May 26, 2010 5:24 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Don't start a topic about idiotic things we have done when working on our bikes over the years...it'd be a long one.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

19Back to top Go down   wet spark plugs Empty Re: wet spark plugs Wed May 26, 2010 3:37 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Good one M8. You didn't call, so I thought you were doing OK. Have fun!

Rene

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum