BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Loosen the steering? Empty Loosen the steering? Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:41 pm

JaseYPK

JaseYPK
Silver member
Silver member
Hi guys, I've read on here (lost the thread now) about how to loosen the bearings and such, but my bike mechanical knowledge is pretty low, so could someone break it down for me please, with pictures and very simple explanations haha. 

I've seen the big locking but on top of the yoke, and a round grip able nut under the yoke. I'm assuming this is the one I need to loosen off?

Also I've read about squirting wd40 and fresh grease in, again I'm assuming under the big 30mm top nut where the brake line goes through?

Thanks again and sorry for the pretty noddy question! Haha

2Back to top Go down   Loosen the steering? Empty Re: Loosen the steering? Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:24 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
I think you should first try to determine what state the bearings are in, because if they're stuffed you'll need to replace them and not just regrease.

If you raise the front wheel off the ground and then gently turn the steering from left to right, you'll soon feel if they're notchy, ususally with a big notch in the central position from the races hammering the bearing wall from bumps in the road. So best to order the bearings in before you pull it all apart.
You'll need to do more than squirt some WD in there. That will only remove the old grease.

Removing the bearings for replacement or just regreasing is pretty straightforward. The Haynes and Clymers manuals describe the procedure pretty well and Chris Harris demos this on Youtube
BMW Service - Replacing Steering Head Bearings Part 2 of 2 - YouTube

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Loosen the steering? Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

3Back to top Go down   Loosen the steering? Empty Re: Loosen the steering? Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:50 am

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
My solo's head bearings felt all notchy earlier this year and I expected to have to replace them, but, after taking the bearings out, it was just dried grease causing the notchyness.........no sign of wear on the bearing tracks doing the fingernail test, so, fresh grease and all was back to normal.

Paul.

4Back to top Go down   Loosen the steering? Empty Re: Loosen the steering? Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:06 am

JaseYPK

JaseYPK
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks guys,
Them videos on YouTube look pretty handy if worst comes to worst. 
I'll pop them out this weekend and see what I can determine. Is there a favourable type of grease to be used on the bearings, and a way of cleaning them thoroughly?

5Back to top Go down   Loosen the steering? Empty Re: Loosen the steering? Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:20 am

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
I usually use white spirits for washing out bearings and as the bearings only move slowly (unless you get a tank-slapper  affraid), any quality grease should be suitable.

I would use a high temperature grease though........I once used low melting point grease in a head bearing and during summer (even in the UK) it leaked out.  Embarassed

Paul.

6Back to top Go down   Loosen the steering? Empty Re: Loosen the steering? Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:24 am

JaseYPK

JaseYPK
Silver member
Silver member
Haha okay no worries thanks!
I've just remembered I've got a pesky rounded pinch bolt to remove somehow too before I can continue. Really not looking forward to problem solving that one!

7Back to top Go down   Loosen the steering? Empty Re: Loosen the steering? Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:29 pm

JaseYPK

JaseYPK
Silver member
Silver member
I removed the top yoke and the bearing was stiff, not beyond movement though. 

When id forced the steering stem out the frame (yes, forced), I noticed the bottom bearing was siezed with what I can only describe as solidified treacle. Obviously not the grease it should have had in it! So the top is off, and the bottom is almost off (pita!). New ones are on order and I should have a lovely smooth bike soon!

Loosen the steering? Image11

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum