BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

touchwoodsden

touchwoodsden
Silver member
Silver member
I am fitting a sidecar on a K 100 LT. I have leading link forks which have twin brake hoses.
I therefore remove the original front set up and have been figuring for months (I have had other jobs to do) how to attach a splitter which splits the hard brake hose (from the rear of the bike), under the steering head so that it was relatively stable.
I came to the conclusion that the original splitter on the non-ABS which goes through the centre of the steering head was a solution to the problem but obviously meant removing the ABS.

The ABS is not without problems and this is well noted and has all the breaks were apart anyway and the ABS would need resetting (which I understand has its own problems) I decided to get rid of the ABS altogether.

It will soon be sold on eBay which I can sell is working when it came off the bike which is what it was!

I have removed the small blue relay under the tank (no ABS light), the modulators, all the steel piping, the tail unit control unit, and all the associated wiring which I have “sealed off” under the right side panel adjacent to the battery. It makes getting the rear light unit in and out much much easier.

And so, now to the point of the question.

I was told to “remove the relay under the tank”. Using a stethoscope I ascertain which one it was, the small blue one. Please confirm that’s correct.
Someone has told me that there are 2 blue relays which need removing. The one I removed is the small blue one but, there is another “normal size” blue relay also. Does that one need removing? Help please.

I have obtained the splitter for the front brakes which goes down the steering head.

With regard to brake hoses, the one which went from the rear master cylinder to the modulator will actually connect directly to the rear caliper. So I have done this but the connection into the caliper needs angling upwards so that the hose does not rub on the foot rest hanger

The now redundant hose which connected from the modulator to the rear caliper is about 355 mm long which is a bit longer than the hose which should go between the front master cylinder and the splitter on top of the steering head. The correct hose for that front brake is about 290 mm long. I can see no reason not to use the now redundant hose from the rear, on the front and simply have a bend between the front master cylinder and the top of the steering head.

Has anyone else use those hoses in that way
?
Incidentally, the hoses look like new.

Thanks for feedback guys.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I don't think it is a real smart idea to get rid of ABS that is working. Resetting them is not difficult and with our friend Tosi in Japan we can have all the info and get the brain fixed very economically.
If you are really determined to remove it the 2 blue relays come out and as for the hydraulic lines do yourself a favour that very well may save your life and get new stainless steel braides hoses.
Those hoses you are wanting to reuse are probably 25 to 30 years old and the average life expectancy of any hydraulic hose is 10 years. To my way of thinking that is just asking for trouble when you least need it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

touchwoodsden

touchwoodsden
Silver member
Silver member
RicK G wrote:I don't think it is a real smart idea to get rid of ABS that is working. Resetting them is not difficult and with our friend Tosi in Japan we can have all the info and get the brain fixed very economically.
If you are really determined to remove it the 2 blue relays come out and as for the hydraulic lines do yourself a favour that very well may save your life and get new stainless steel braides hoses.
Those hoses you are wanting to reuse are probably 25 to 30 years old and the average life expectancy of any hydraulic hose is 10 years. To my way of thinking that is just asking for trouble when you least need it.
I have considered all those options in the past and decided to get rid.. The decision has been made and it is now off.
I take the comments about  getting new hoses but I need to know if what I have proposed is feasible.
Incidentally, has anyone ever had flex brake hose fail which looks perfect?
Regards

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yes me "twice" and many others have also had it happen.  Trust an old brake hose about the same as you trust a politician.  Pollies usually go rotten a bit quicker.
Once was on my Z1300 Kawasaki in 2001 and all were replaced with Stainless and the other was on a 1978 model car in 1985/6, the brakes went mushy and the dash light came on. The hose from the body to the rear axle had blown out.  Both times the brakes were quite good and then next application nothing.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

touchwoodsden

touchwoodsden
Silver member
Silver member
RicK G wrote:Yes me "twice" and many others have also had it happen.  Trust an old brake hose about the same as you trust a politician.  Pollies usually go rotten a bit quicker.
Once was on my Z1300 Kawasaki in 2001 and all were replaced with Stainless and the other was on a 1978 model car in 1985/6, the brakes went mushy and the dash light came on. The hose from the body to the rear axle had blown out.  Both times the brakes were quite good and then next application nothing.
Just picked up a length of SS braided hose from my local friendly bike shop (he owed me several favours). 
I will knock up some hoses tonight. I have lots of fittings to hand already. Have made loads of hoses over the years. Already have new SS ones for the front

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
touchwoodsden wrote:Incidentally, has anyone ever had flex brake hose fail which looks perfect?
Me too - the crossfeed on a Guzzi from the rear master cylinder to the proportioning valve. The inner let go but fortunately the outer stayed intact, so I had the braking equivalent of wooden blocks on a bicycle rim. The pipe looked like a snake that had swallowed three or four mice one after another.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum