BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K100 trouble removing shims Empty K100 trouble removing shims Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:25 am

allemande

allemande
Hello,

I have real trouble removing the shims as I'm trying to measure their thickness. Using the right tools to depress the bucket and shim is spinning freely but not coming out. I used a dental tool, compressed air, tapping on it. No luck. Working on two bikes simultaneously with same issues. I had dealt with it once before and also had a struggle (same procedures and shims eventually came out but it took way too long). Does anybody know of any other tricks? Thanks in advance!

2Back to top Go down   K100 trouble removing shims Empty Re: K100 trouble removing shims Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:55 am

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
Hi Allemande

You could try a squirt of contact cleaner or something similar to disperse the oil and clean around under the shim, it’s the suction effect of the oil holding it there. Do that a few times & blow around it, then get the pick back in there to flick it out. 

Regards

Dan

3Back to top Go down   K100 trouble removing shims Empty Re: K100 trouble removing shims Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:59 am

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
Definitely a fussy job.  A squirt of compressed air can pop them out but other than trying this out once I stick with wiggling them out with an old dental pick.  There is a notch in the valve shim bucket that will allow you to get in at the side of the shim.  Doing this lots will definitely give you the opportunity to speed up.

"Keep your stick on the ice.  We're all in this together."  Red Green

4Back to top Go down   K100 trouble removing shims Empty Shim removal problems on K100 Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:05 am

allemande

allemande
I also used carb cleaner spray without luck. Will try again tomorrow. There has got to be a better way!

5Back to top Go down   K100 trouble removing shims Empty Re: K100 trouble removing shims Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:10 pm

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
You could try a magnet on a stick of some sort, it may assist? Try to spin the shim while trying to pop it out to help break the suction. 

Regards

Dan

6Back to top Go down   K100 trouble removing shims Empty Re: K100 trouble removing shims Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:57 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
allemande wrote: I had dealt with it once before and also had a struggle (same procedures and shims eventually came out but it took way too long). Does anybody know of any other tricks? Thanks in advance!
Although some riders can do a valve shim replacement with nothing more than a screwdriver or psycho-kenesis, when I'm using the compression and holding tools it helps me to remove the shims from specific directions, too. Clymer's tip in this diagram has always worked for me. I use a telescopic magnet that has a small tip and it grabs them right out of there.

K100 trouble removing shims Scree115

7Back to top Go down   K100 trouble removing shims Empty Re: K100 trouble removing shims Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:38 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Carb spray cleaner will just replace engine oil with a thinner oil - it won't destroy the suction. Now brake cleaner... that will dispose of the oil holding things down.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

8Back to top Go down   K100 trouble removing shims Empty Re: K100 trouble removing shims Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:50 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
The tools I bought from the guy in the US didn't do the job properly for me. The bucket depressor tool worked fine but the other part that hold the bucket down was missing about a mm which meant the bucket came back out just that bit too far. Couldn't get the shims out no matter what I did and I was at it for a good day before I worked out what was going on. Had to weld a bead along that edge and then shape it back down to the correct size. Shims then came out easy peasy.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 K100 trouble removing shims Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum