BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty 96 K1100 Fuel pump Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:15 am

diveshadow

diveshadow
96 K1100LT 0302263  I have done some testing and here is what I have found. At the fuel pump relay checking voltage across #8(blue wire with brown stripe) and #10 (green wire with yellow stripe) I am only getting 4.2 volts it goes up to 5v when I press the start button. What would keep it rom getting full voltage?

2Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Re: 96 K1100 Fuel pump Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:32 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Someone has been messing with your wiring there should be a blue/brown and red/green. the green/yellow has been put there to bypass the sidestand switch I would say. If this is correct the g/y should have unswitched 12v all the time and the control is via the b/br wire.
The g/y wire gets its power via fuse 6 so that fuse probably needs to be replaced.
This fuse allocation will be handy to laminate and store in the tool roll.
96 K1100 Fuel pump Fuse_a10

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty No power to fuel pump Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:05 pm

diveshadow

diveshadow
Thanks for the fuse allocation, yes I will keep a copy of it on the bike.
Green / red stripe is connected to terminal #6 and yes there is power on that wire as well as the green/ yellow stripe which is connected to terminal 10. But I'm still at a loss as to what all is involved with the control wire blue/brown stripe allowing the relay to power up.

4Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Re: 96 K1100 Fuel pump Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:57 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
What voltage do you read at fuse #1 when you turn on the ignition?
It should be the same as the green/yellow wire in the relay socket.

5Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Fuel Pump/ ECU? Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:11 pm

diveshadow

diveshadow
OK I'm going to keep these two questions together on the same post. Seeing how I'm not sure which direction I need to go first. Why I'm questioning the ECU is because I bought it used of line from Stockers motorcycle parts, when I ordered it I was told that it came off of a 96 K1100LT.  Acording to BMW dealership it is an aftermarket part. Are ECU's known for causing problems? If not why would there be an after market part on a 96 bike?

Back to fuel pump. With the ignition key on I have power to the red/green and the green/yellow. I do believe that the blue/brown is the control wire but not sure as to where it is being controlled from? With the side stand down the bike will not even turn over so I'm assuming that the side stand switch is working properly.
Power on each side of the fuse are the same.

6Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Re: 96 K1100 Fuel pump Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:03 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Best to post a photo of the ECU as I have never heard of an aftermarket ECU for a K1100 although Power Commander did have an extra that pluged between the ECU and the harness.
The engine should turn over on the starter with the side stand down but the switch cuts the power to the injectors preventing the engine firing.  The ECU will have a Blue, green or Orange label in it and the BOSCH name with a BMW part number. It lies flat under the seat with the multipin plug going into the top surface.

The Blue/brown wire supplies an earth to the relay for 1.5 seconds after it gets power and that is when the key is turned on or the kill switch is turned on when the key on, or when the ECU is getting pulses from the Hall Effect sensor for #2 & #3 coil. You will need to use a multimeter with a needle not a digital meter so you will pick up the needle movement when the earth is applied. I wouldn't be too hasty in blaming the ECU as they have proven exceptionally reliable.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

7Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Re: 96 K1100 Fuel pump Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:01 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
RicK G wrote:The engine should turn over on the starter with the side stand down but the switch cuts the power to the injectors preventing the engine firing.

On a late MA2.2 the sidestand switch cuts the ground connection to the relay coils for the Motronic relay and the starter relay.

Divesh: As you have power to both relay coil and switch, it's only the signal missing which you can test like Rich says.
In the first post low voltage to the relay coil is mentioned....if that still is present (with the other probe to a good ground), check also the voltage to the relay coil on the Motronic relay (same colour code).
If that also is low, the suspected part is the kill switch.

8Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Re: 96 K1100 Fuel pump Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:10 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Inge K. wrote:
RicK G wrote:The engine should turn over on the starter with the side stand down but the switch cuts the power to the injectors preventing the engine firing.

On a late MA2.2 the sidestand switch cuts the ground connection to the relay coils for the Motronic relay and the starter relay.

Divesh: As you have power to both relay coil and switch, it's only the signal missing which you can test like Rich says.
In the first post low voltage to the relay coil is mentioned....if that still is present (with the other probe to a good ground), check also the voltage to the relay coil on the Motronic relay (same colour code).
If that also is low, the suspected part is the kill switch.
More info for the aging brain to absorb Thanks Inge

9Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty FUel pump/ ECU? Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:37 pm

diveshadow

diveshadow
Here is a photo of the ECU that I purchased. Again I was told by my local BMW that is was an aftermarket because of the numbers on it. I sent a photo of my ECU so that they could look at it and possibly tell me if it was the proper fit for my bike. OK I must have the late MA2.2 ECU because my starter will not work with the side stand down.

I will look for an analog meter all I have is a digital one and no one in the area dells an analos meter. One of the disadvantages of living out away from big cities.

10Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Fuel pump/ ECU? Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:52 pm

diveshadow

diveshadow
Here is another try to upload the photo of my ECU

11Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Re: 96 K1100 Fuel pump Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:24 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
diveshadow wrote:Here is another try to upload the photo of my ECU
Instructions on how it's done https://www.k100-forum.com/t998-posting-pictures-and-movies

12Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Fuel pump/ ECU? Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:32 pm

diveshadow

diveshadow
I'm sure that I wil get this soon

96 K1100 Fuel pump Img_2915

13Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Re: 96 K1100 Fuel pump Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:47 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
That is the early type control unit for K1100 up till 7/93. the part number for yours is 13611464717
96 K1100 Fuel pump 2_2_ec10

14Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty fuel pump/ ECU? Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:04 pm

diveshadow

diveshadow
So Rick you are telling me that this ecu will not work for my bike or is at least not the correct part for my bike?

15Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Re: 96 K1100 Fuel pump Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:28 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
That's right. It's for the 1992 & 1993 K1100 and is the 2.1 motronic.
The bozos at the BMW dealer have been drinking their bathwater when they said not a BMW part.
Most of the dealers don't see very much of the bikes once they are out of warranty so unless they worked on BMWs in the 90s they don't even recognize the bits or know how to work on them.

16Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Fuel pump/ ECU? Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:21 pm

diveshadow

diveshadow
Rick
Thanks for the input because I'm still in a learning process the part you listed is called an ignition control unit correct? Does this unit mount on top of the battery? Also one of the parts place listed it as ABS ignition control unit. I just want to make sure that when I send this one back they dont send me the one mounted on the side of the ABS system. I'm assuming that the one on the side of the ABS is for the ABS system.

In defence of the BMW parts man that told me that I had an after market part he is very young and probably just as new as I am to the BMW world.

17Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Fuel pump/ ECU? Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:42 pm

diveshadow

diveshadow
Also how would I have been able to find out that the one I have is for the earlier models? Is there some site that shows the difference between the two? When I was looking for the part several people listed a similar part but they were not sure of the date of the bikes that they came off of.

Also the parts place that I'm getting the parts from mentioned that there are two different sizes of control units on my bike but I'm only seeing the ECU/ICU and the other one is the ABS control unit.scratch

Looking to limit any further delays in riding my bike.

18Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Re: 96 K1100 Fuel pump Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:33 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Real OEM is the best source but don't take it as gospel as I have found mistakes in it, I found one about 10 minutes ago  http://www.realoem.com/bmw/
You can enter tha last 7 digits of your VIN and it will tell you the model etc and go straight to the right page for that bike. You can also enter a part number and it will tell you which other bikes use it.

The ECU (Engine control Unit) sits above the battery and has a multi pin plug that plugs into the top surface, the ECU that you have still sits above the battery but has the multi pin plug on the left side.
On both models of K1100 the ABS control unit (the electronics part)is vertical and on the 96 it is attached to the left side of the ABS controller (mechanical and hydraulic controller).
The K100 and K75 have an ICU (Ignition Control Unit) which is located behind the steering head but a K1100 does not have that item it all takes place in the ECU
This is the correct unit for a 1996 model http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K1100-LT-RS-1995-1100-K-S231-BRAIN-BOX-IGNITOR-IGNITION-COMPUTER-/290688585386?hash=item43ae63ceaa:m:mTysIiq38JEaKlPE7uH4PQw&vxp=mtr

Just out of interest if you do a search on ebay for "BMW K1100 computer" there are some like yours should have, some like the one you have now  and an early ABS control unit.

Don't take too much notice of what the dismantlers tell you.  There is one seller on fleabay yhat has an ICU from a K75 listed as a cruise control unit for K75, K100 and K1100.

I have also heard that MAX BMW in the US has a good parts listing by model.

Last edited by RicK G on Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : phat phingers)

19Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Fuel pump/ ECU? Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:29 pm

diveshadow

diveshadow
Hello RicK and Inge

Well I'm back now that I have installed the latest ECU I have 11 to 12v on the green wire going to the tank but still not getting the fuel pump on so I will pull the pump out tomorrow and do a bench test on it but for now here is a pic of the ECU that I was sent. And before I could not get power to the fuel pump at least now I;m getting power to the pump. And yes I;m getting the pulse to the blue wire with the brown stripe.

20Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Fuel pump/ ECU? Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:25 pm

diveshadow

diveshadow
Well after establishing that I am getting power from the relay I started doing a continuity check on the wiring and all seemed good. Did a bench test on the fuel pump and it works. So I took the pump and the sending unit out of the tank and hooked it up. I have power to the plug but was not getting power to the pump. Kept checking continuity and thats when the positive wire coming from the sending unit dislodged from its soldered point and I could see that it was just barely making a connection. This bike has been sitting in a garage for the past six years, I had already taken the pump and unit out to cleen out the tank but felt that I could just clean the rust off of the sending unit and all would be good. With that much corrosion it was best just to replace the item. So now I wait on the new unit to arrive. So anxious to ride my bike,but I had to settle for a ride on my Suzuki 1400 Intruder. Its just to loud for the neighbors.

21Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Re: 96 K1100 Fuel pump Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:45 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The 4 pin plug that connects the tank to the harness is prone to failure. I had both fail on my K100 and K1100 so I replaced them with 4 pin spade terminal auto connectors and have had no more trouble.

22Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty fuel pump/ ECU? Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:58 pm

diveshadow

diveshadow
Thanks I'll change it out before I put it all back together

23Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Re: 96 K1100 Fuel pump Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:09 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You can get a very fine screwdriver in and open the male pins a bit or pliers and close the female ones.
Many have been caught with them because you measure from it both ways but rarely across it when it is plugged together.

24Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty fuel pump/ ECU? Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:11 pm

diveshadow

diveshadow
Thanks RicK

You have been a tremendous help. I have my bike back together and was able to ride it Friday.
And yes the plug did create a problem, and because I had not gotten the proper wire connectors I was just going to use the original plug until my connectors came in, but as you had mentioned there was problems with the connector so I had to adjust the pins until I get my new connectors in.

25Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Low power Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:37 pm

diveshadow

diveshadow
96 K1100 Fuel pump Img_3210
96 K1100 Fuel pump Img_3211
96 K1100 Fuel pump Img_3212
I'm adding a few photos of my control module for those who know the bikes well. The first control module that was sent to me would not allow the bike to get power to the fuel pump. So the parts house sent me a different one now the bike runs I have driven it about six hundred miles but is just has no get up and go to it. RicK suggested that I could still not have the correct control module. I have put in a new fuel pump, fuel filter, and spark plugs. The exhaust is running clean.

26Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Re: 96 K1100 Fuel pump Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:13 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The different units are the non catalic and catalic. the non cat was apparently used on the authorities (police) bikes and the cat ones were the over the counter version.  Inge K will be able to tell you but I haven't the expertise with the part system to be able to tell.

27Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Re: 96 K1100 Fuel pump Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:33 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
diveshadow wrote:96 K1100 Fuel pump Img_3211

A parts search shows this ECU (1341742) is for an R series 1100.
Try one of these

CONTROL UNIT MOTRONIC

To:-
Weight:0.639 kg
Price:$1617.48

Supersedes:
13611464649 (03/01/1992 — ), Exchangeable retrospectively
13611464607 (11/04/1991 — 06/17/1992), Exchangeable retrospectively
13611464491 (05/01/1991 — 02/15/1994)

Part 13611464717 was found on the following vehicles:
K589 (K 1100 RS, K 1100 LT)   (06/1989 — 04/1999)

This is the catalytic version

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 96 K1100 Fuel pump Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

28Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty 97 K1100LT Fuel Pump Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:07 pm

diveshadow

diveshadow
Is there anyone out there that could send me a picture of 97 K1100LT ECU, fuel control module.?

29Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Re: 96 K1100 Fuel pump Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:58 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
They look the same as the one in your picture but the part number will be 13611464717 or 13617651541 if it came from an authorities model (police)

30Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Re: 96 K1100 Fuel pump Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:18 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
The unit will look just the same, its the part number you want.
I have a '96 K1100RS and the part number (which you see at the bottom of the label in your photo) reads 1 464 710
This equates to BMW part no. 13611464710 which supersedes 13611464717 which I posted above.

The number on the unit you have starts with 13##### and as far as I could determine from realoem, those units are for the R series not K.

Go to realoem.com and enter your last 7 VIN digits to see all parts for your model.
This is the Motronic unit for your model which is the one I posted above. If you then click on the part no. link (the one at the top of the list) it will take you to more info on that unit like units it supersedes and other models that have that unit. Compatibility appears retrospective and your K is a later model so, I'm not sure, but you may need a later unit. If it were me I'd try any of those I listed above.

Sorry. I can't post a photo of mine from my tablet. New laptop coming any day now.

Hope this helps you to find a suitable unit.

NOTE: the BMW oem part number has 1361 in front of the part number that is actually on the unit.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 96 K1100 Fuel pump Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

31Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty Re: 96 K1100 Fuel pump Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:16 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I believe that the difference between the R and K units is only the software and have been told that BMW should be able to flash the right software to it but I cant be really sure you would need to ask at a dealer.

32Back to top Go down   96 K1100 Fuel pump Empty 96 K1100 Fuel pump Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:45 pm

diveshadow

diveshadow
Thanks so much RicKG and Holister
 I returned the ECU and they sent me one with the number 13611464717 the bike now runs great. The parts house was sure that thier was no different between the ECU for the R series bike and the K series bike ECU. But I'm thankfull they were willing to switch it out for me. If it were not for the knowledge that you are willing to share I would still be stuck with a bike that does not run properly.
Keep up the good work.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum