BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

werewasi

werewasi
Platinum member
Platinum member
Had a Battery - OUTDO YTX7L BS (Gel) 12V &Ah/10HA (not that i read any of this before commencing operations) that seemed to need charging. 
Just before putting on the charger, i noticed that the electrolyte level seemed to be down in all cells. 
Pulled the six plugs and filled with distilled water. Put on charger but afterwards it seemed to need more
water so topped it up.
Moment of genius. Read the battery label. GEL!!!!!!!!!!.  fnn hell. What have I done?

Your turn now
Have I stuffed it or can i fix it?

P S I will not even say my prayers tonight fr memory. I will read them fr the book.

K100RS  1983 and 1986 (bought a 2nd and put them both together in a dark garage thinking that i would get a heap of parts from the progeny but nothing happened- think they're gay)  Laughing Laughing Laughing

1985 K75, Guzzi V7 Special, 1986 GB500, 1974 T500, 1986 MB5 with the whoppa 100cc engine transplant, NC 700 SA Honda, two 1986 Kawasaki BR250s

Snod Blatter

Snod Blatter
Life time member
Life time member
Gel batteries don't have plugs to be pulled out? I'm confused! And yet, there it is, with plugs..

Since it's a cheap battery there is a hope that by "gel" what they really mean is AGM, in which case you're fine. AGM batteries need to be filled, supposedly it's a one time deal but topping up can't hurt. Gel batteries should always be totally sealed units, no need to fill them when you first buy one.

Oh hang on, the description in the link says AGM. Carry on sir, you've done nothing wrong OOPS. Think I should have done some reading first. 112350

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Cant say what will happen Dave. A battery expert place may know but they are just as liable to try to sell you a new battery.
I cant imagine that it would be very good for it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Get a load test done, but I'm with Snod Blatter here - I don't think you've totally screwed it.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

werewasi

werewasi
Platinum member
Platinum member
Thanks guys.
Will take it down for a load test and hopefully I can use it.

I just googled that ref no and it took me to battery on EBay
And there it is - one of those little orange ones which is labelled as GEL.
It has a fancy perspex detachable cover and the 6 filler plugs under it.

Will let you know what the battery expert says it is.

K100RS  1983 and 1986 (bought a 2nd and put them both together in a dark garage thinking that i would get a heap of parts from the progeny but nothing happened- think they're gay)  Laughing Laughing Laughing

1985 K75, Guzzi V7 Special, 1986 GB500, 1974 T500, 1986 MB5 with the whoppa 100cc engine transplant, NC 700 SA Honda, two 1986 Kawasaki BR250s

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
werewasi wrote:Thanks guys.
Will take it down for a load test and hopefully I can use it.

I just googled that ref no and it took me to battery on EBay
And there it is - one of those little orange ones which is labelled as GEL.
It has a fancy perspex detachable cover and the 6 filler plugs under it.
According to the number you have supplied, you have one of these, an Absorbed Glass Mat type. Snod Blatter is correct.

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
What you have David is a Valve Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA) battery. It is a type of Gel battery. The info I've read indicates it is a maintenance free battery but the electrolyte can be topped up if needed by removing the valve/plugs. I have no idea if adding water will mix with the gel electrolyte but I doubt you've done any damage. It appears thos batteries only last 2 or 3 years so might be worth replacing anyway.
More info here

This may be helpful.
OOPS. Think I should have done some reading first. Screen%20Shot%202014-12-17%20at%2021_43_50

EDIT: Just found this info from the makers Hauwei....

"The sliding lid cover have earned the national patent. With the design of transparent visible and openable top cover, our batteries allows adding the acids or water, which could ensure the battery maintenance more conveniently and prolong the service life than the similar product"

LINK

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 OOPS. Think I should have done some reading first. Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum