BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Resurrection of the dead..K100 88' Empty Resurrection of the dead..K100 88' Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:22 am

Oz-Ash

Oz-Ash
Resurrection of the dead..K100 88' 20170110
Resurrection of the dead..K100 88' Img_0010  Well as advised I am trying to start my first thread and add pics..hopefully successfully! As I briefly explained in my introduction the other day, my boss gave me his apparent project bike being a K100 as he felt I would give it the love it needs. His ideas as per the pic was to create a different look for the bmw having a Ducati kit fitted ie 860GT tank, frt guard and a Mike Hail wood replica 900ss tail piece..my ideas may change as time goes by and the resurrection progresses. I'm glad he gave me the original bmw tank as fitting the ducati tank goes against the grain. However I do like the mhr tail piece ( what's your thoughts)? This bike has been sitting for 10 yrs, evidence of rats chewing plastics and wiring, umpteen missing bits n pieces, home to a colony of wasps nests and lacking love. Now I wouldn't have bought this bike to resurrect it, but under the circumstances of the good boss wanting to see her live and the freebee to me and his workshop to store and work on it supplied, how could I neglect the opportunity. After researching this bikes heritage I became quiet excited and am keen as punch. Let's say thanks boss for paying me today to strip off all the electrics (ha he didn't notice) and inspect closer. I'll post pics of my progress or backward steps and will be picking the world BMW gurus brains to make life easier for me to shake the nuts out of this mammoth challenge.

2Back to top Go down   Resurrection of the dead..K100 88' Empty Re: Resurrection of the dead..K100 88' Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:33 am

Oz-Ash

Oz-Ash
A sneek preview as I take off from the starting blocks..Resurrection of the dead..K100 88' 20170112
Resurrection of the dead..K100 88' 20170111
Resurrection of the dead..K100 88' 20170113

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
That 860 Gt tank don't look so bad there Smile might work better with a fuller seat, you know not stepped as the king queen types are. But the slightly curved seats of the 860 and triump T140's etc, Guzzi Cali 2's and T3 850's could really do the deal mate.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Don't get hung up on the K having the fuel pump in the tank. No reason why you can't have an external pump and filter like Guzzi do. The downside is that you will need to modify the tank to take the return pipe; not that difficult if you're willing to cut and weld the tank.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Oz-Ash

Oz-Ash
Well for now I've opted against the ducati tank mainly cause the bottom has been cut out and I'm impatient to get on with other items..went back to the original which turns out isn't an easy or chap task either. I've been struck with all the similar issues as I've read from others on this forum. But thx the you guys I've solved issues in an instant like getting the fuel cap open with no key ( ie drill hole 23mm above key slot) & removal of sludged crap throughout the innards. Thanks to eBay and the luck of timing I sourced a complete fuel pump, rubber mount, strainer hoses etc for $30..hope that luck continues. Anyway I've moved on substantially in the last week by putting in the hours..last night got as far as engine internal inspection and valve clearance checks. Some where quite loose but will get it running first and do a recheck afterwards..Resurrection of the dead..K100 88' 20170211
Resurrection of the dead..K100 88' 20170212
Resurrection of the dead..K100 88' 20170213
Resurrection of the dead..K100 88' 20170214
Resurrection of the dead..K100 88' 20170215
Resurrection of the dead..K100 88' 20170216
Resurrection of the dead..K100 88' 20170217
Resurrection of the dead..K100 88' 20170218

Oz-Ash

Oz-Ash
I'll be chasing a new driveshaft mainly because the uni-joint is terribly notch plus the spline isn't the best. I'd probably run with that soli e wear if the u I was easily replaceable ie circllip. Any one have any info where to source or have repaired her in Oz.  We used to have a bloke here in Cairns but I found out he closed shop and retired

Oz-Ash

Oz-Ash
K75cster wrote:That 860 Gt tank don't look so bad there Smile might work better with a fuller seat, you know not stepped as the king queen types are. But the slightly curved seats of the 860 and triump T140's etc, Guzzi Cali 2's and T3 850's could really do the deal mate.
Cheers for the tip on ideas K75cster I'll research those seats. However it's so hard to decide on a blank canvass, I'm not that creativee. There's quite alot of work on getting the ducati tank to fit though. I might take the easier road wit the original beemer tan.  I like it bwtter wit that tailpiece.

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
That tank looks pretty grungy. I had a similar situation in my RT. The best thing to clean it with is sodium percarbonate which is ordinary household laundry soaker. Get the one with the strongest %. I found the Aldi DiSan (purple) is the best.

About half a cup in a bucket of hot water. Soak 2 or 3 times overnight and scrub what you can. Rinse a few times and let it dry well. You'll be surprised how clean it come out.

As far as the UJ goes, someone may correct me on this, but they are normally a bit notchy. They only operate within a small range. You can get a new spline and weld it on. That's probably your cheapest and quickest option.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Resurrection of the dead..K100 88' Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
I've sadly resurrected too many tanks now and find that any solvent to soften the black mess (you could use petrol) and then jetwash the inside of the tank gets rid of all the crap. I once soaked a tank with hot water and washing powder for 24 hours and that also worked along with our old friend the jet wash.
It works for me anyhow!

10Back to top Go down   Resurrection of the dead..K100 88' Empty Re: Resurrection of the dead..K100 88' Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:50 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
It surely looks like a SD replica with that seatcowl, I'd have to see it with the BM tank on it, but wouldn't be that far off even just imagining it would be fine that way. All you can do is mock it up and guess and go for it. Smile

Gee those splines are worn, You should be able to find Wazz's post on replacing the splines on his bike. He just bought to new spline tube and welded it himself.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum