BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

251Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:45 am

Saxon7

Life time member
Life time member
Part 2.

Bylong Valley Way is a wonderful road with magnificent scenery, which wends its way through Baerami and Bylong itself via twists and turns, rocky outcrops and creek crossings. It’s no place to ride an old Harley Davidson with a side car at any great speed and I soon lost the others, reconciling myself to a modest pace and several stops to take some photos along the way, one of my happy pastimes.
Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 20220512

Eventually the road comes to Rylstone, where bookings had been made by Rick G for a group of us at the Globe Hotel, a place we’ve stayed at a few times before. It’s a friendly enough place and the weather forecast for the evening was for a mild 5 or 6 degrees overnight, which is why the bikes were covered in ice and pannier locks frozen when we surfaced in the morning after a good dinner, some tonsorial varnishes and good company. It’s always good to catch up with the ‘Beemer Boys’ as my wife likes to call them, and this year is no exception.

Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 20220513
Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 20220514

On the Saturday morning, everyone was up and about in plenty of time for a 9 or 9.30 departure for Bathurst and Gaz, who may as well have been wearing a trench coat with the collar turned up, enigmatically informed us he had some errands to do in Bathurst and was leaving straight away. No further correspondence was entered into and he soon disappeared mysteriously down the road, his large single cylinder F series thumping happily away into the morning air.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc7NNjWO7nHEhMpErSDJ5Hw

252Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:52 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
PART 3.

Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 20220515

The rest of us made the 100 or so km into town via Ilford and Sofala, enjoying the brisk morning air amongst the hills. Bathurst soon came into view and I made my way noisily up the mountain to meet the others.  Some unkind comments about fuel versus noise and resulting lack of horsepower out of the way, greetings were exchanged with Sandy and family and we were able to enjoy a warming dram of honey bourbon in the cold mountain air at the top of Mt Panorama, a fine place to think and talk of Rossko, who remains sorely missed in our minds.

Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 20220517

253Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:02 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Part 4.
Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 20220519
Gaz, Waz and his younger feller had been busy organising a new plaque for Rossko to complement the other one, which is now hard to access due to new fences and locked gates and lack of current police affiliations within the group. Our respects paid, many headed back into town to enjoy lunch at the Irish pub there. I decided I was going to enjoy enough pub food over the coming days, and headed off towards Blayney in the hope of finding a café on a Sunday afternoon.

Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 20220520

254Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:08 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Part 5.

Blayney had a resolutely shut down look about it, and so I pressed on towards the ultimate goal for the day, which is the pub at Gooloogong, roughly 30km west of Canowindra. Perhaps I would find something at Mandurama or even Canowindra. Just a toasted sandwich would be great. Nothing at Carcoar or Mandurama except a thirsty looking Bob and Ulli, who were heading in the same direction. A few pleasantries on the side of the road and then I soon lost them as we made our way towards Canowindra and the gentle folds of the western slopes.

At Canowindra I found a café open and headed inside to grab myself a coffee and toasted sanger. Talking to the young bloke who brought the coffee, I asked him where the turn off to Gooloogong was to be found.

Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 20220521

‘That’s weird,’ he said. ‘Two other blokes on bikes just left here after asking the same question.’

‘Did they have a sort of thirsty look about them?’ I enquired.  

‘Well, now that you mention it, they did look highly motivated by something..’ I finished the coffee and headed off to catch up with them and grab a room at the pub.

Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 20220522

255Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:13 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Part...er 5? Or was it 6?

Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 20220523

The pub at Gooloogong is a quiet place with an air of times gone by, shearers and farm hands echoing through the halls of the dormitory area. Except for today. Today is open mic. The pub is full and the music is flowing as well as the beer. Never mind…. They’ll quieten down later on…won’t they? It seemed like every musician within the entire surrounding area was there for the night, even a Columbian embryologist, complete with wide brim hat and blanket cut with a hole to poke his head through. He sat quietly in the corner drinking red wine, occasionally bursting out with some new Australian slang he had been taught, entirely out of context and therefore hugely entertaining… for a while. After enormous pizzas for dinner, we headed upstairs to the long and wide verandah, where we enjoyed further refreshments at the Vladimir Putin interview table. All too soon it was time for bed and then the long ride home the following day. Apologies for so many posts at once.. it's the only way I could fit the photos in.

Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 20220524

256Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:16 am

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Just one more comment on the 2022 pilgrimage to Mt Panorama to remember RossKKo.

Those of us who were present at the first Mt Panorama gathering might remember that Klompy was the member who actually laid the memorial plaque onto the base that Waz had prepared.

As I have been thinking back over this year's gathering I'm not sure if I actually commented on the day or that people realised that it was very special that Klompy laid the new plaque onto the base we set down in a repeat of the original ceremony, prior to the arrival of RossKKo's family and the rest of our Krew.

While it was great for us to catch up with Klompy, I'd like to thank him on behalf of all of us for making the effort to get up there early on the morning of our gathering, after Waz had contacted him to let him in on our plans to replicate the plaque which all happened in the fortnight before our gathering.

Cheers Klompy  Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 502531

257Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:47 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 112350

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

258Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:30 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Well it has been a few weeks since the ride and thought I would share my adventures with you lot.  

Heading off for an uneventful day I arrived at Charlies place in the Glen and delivered the tyre that originated from Martin.  A quick cuppa as it was getting late in the day and I was still adjusting to the cold.  Charlie gave me some thank you's for Martin, Matt and I for re-instigating the K100 Forum Courier Service.  

Rick aka Happy Feet and I overnighted at Schorn's house where we were entertained by everybody in the household including the pets.  I just don't know if young Suzie was overjoyed to see me or is just being a pup.  Anyway the warm house was welcome as winter begins here and Guyra is usually the coldest place around.  

So Saturday started with the three of us heading for Rylestone which has become a regular stop for us nowadays.  The Pub is friendly and the amenities are up to standard.  Schorn warned us that he would be slow and this year Smithy was unavailable for the trip to Bathurst.  Down the usual route along the New England Hwy with our first stop at the BP Nemingha just north of Tamworth.  Then onto Walabadah for fuel where Charlie turned up and a further stop at Murrurundi at the Pie shop.  A little down the road and Tourenfuhrer Charlie decided any further advance would best be done in rain gear.  The storm clouds were forming and would be a major feature for the rest of the trip.  

There is something about the road south of Tamworth along the NE Hwy which is to me so typical of the Australian landscape and always a joy to ride.  Turning off at Muswellbrook and onto the Bylong Hwy this is also a good ride but only during daylight hours as rocks and skippys are abundant.  I caught up with the others at Bylong where Charlie was sucking on the usual dart.  It looks like the little store here is now closed as I guess the pandemic reduced the traffic and campers.  Apart from a minor navigational error it is still a beautiful spot in the middle of nowhere which includes a hot shower next to the showgrounds.  From here to Rylestone for the night where the Newy Krew were waiting.  

Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Dscn8913

The road into Rylestone.  Nice and twisty for some, slow for others.  

Next morning we awoke to frost on the bikes and anticipating this the previous day I grabbed some cardboard from the skip to cover the bike overnight to prevent a wet seat.  The Dakar as per usual loved this little treat and did not miss a beat the whole trip.  Gaz had disappeared early on secret men's business and we all gradually made our way to Bathurst after Tourenfuhrer Charlie rallied to get the truppen there on time.

Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Dscn8911

The bridge north of Rylestone with that bloody pothole that both Happy Feet and I hit returning from Walwa back in March.  Not quite the same feeling from a chiropractor when you have a sore back.  

Bathurst is one of those old Australian inland towns which is big enough to have everything but not too much.  Mt. Panorama overlooking the town was the destination for our gathering and as we slowly arrived the cold was letting us know that winter was here.  A little breeze and the temperature dropped.  Meanwhile Happy Feet had chased down a new rear tyre for his steed and considering it was Sunday was impressed that the owner of a closed shop came out without charging anything extra.  

Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Dscn8912

The Gathering.  Feel the cold.  

After all the greetings we headed down to the shelter and Gaz's secret men's business was revealed.  The RossKKo plaque was now placed outside the fence and the finishing touches were completed prior to the arrival of the group.  Something was mentioned about somebody's retirement and the loss of any indemnity regarding possible trespassing or similar.  Hmmm, not quite sure what that was about?  

A short service followed in which the family voiced their appreciation of our continuing efforts and toasts were made.  It was also good to see Klompy again.  

So more to keep out of the cold than hunger it was decided we head back to the Pub in town again as the location was well known and we knew what to expect.  Some decided to head straight for the next night's stop in Gooloogong*.  Once fed and watered we headed off with the thanks of the family once again showing their appreciation.  Meanwhile Tourenfuhrer Charlie made a beeline for the Glen.  

It was not all that far to Gooloogong but the weather was closing in on us with blustery winds and rain.  Most unpleasant riding weather which was to continue the next day.  Arriving it was raining lightly and the music was flowing.  It was open mic in the front bar on a Sunday night and standing room only.  Rooms paid for and upstairs to a fairly rudimentary setup.  A little run down I thought but it still had that homely atmosphere.  Or maybe it was just me feeling miserable with the cold weather.  

Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Dscn8910

Quite a big crowd for a country pub and after our feed we retired upstairs to the vicinity of the Long Table.  Still bloody cold and a good chat with lots of leftover liquor.  

Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Dscn9010

We happy few.  Less noisy outside.  

Monday morning the weather continued the same with wind and rain although the wind was to become worse.  A slight problem with breakfast but off we went.  Schorn headed home the more direct route whilst Happy Feet and I took a detour into Orange as he required a front tyre for his steed.  After bumming around and some not so accurate directions we eventually found a tractor dealership which had the required tyre.  As the job was expected to take around an hour, I used their toilet and decided to make my way north.  A relatively uneventful run and I stopped in Wellington for brunch with no improvement in the weather.  Happy Feet had a new tyre and was also on his way.  

Heading north I spied Schorn on the side of the road with was it the Scharnhorst or the Gneisnau?  It was just before the turn off to Dunedoo and his sidecar had thrown the chain out the back.  He had no phone contact so I lent him mine.  By this time it was exceedingly windy and he was forced to wait three hours before being dragged back and overnighting in Gulgong.  As we were in the flat open plains there was not much protection from any hills or trees.  Once he was sorted I headed off towards Coolah and turned into Premer for a quick pit stop at the showgrounds.  By turning east here the wind was at my back which made riding slightly more pleasant.  

I have passed along these roads many times and wound my way into Werris Creek and Tamworth.  I stopped just north of there at the same BP servo for a bite and and a coffee.  It was dark by now and the rain was constant.  Checking the weather it showed a weather front with strong winds and rain up to the border with the wind around 30km/hr.  A weather warning associated with this front indicated gusts in the 90/100 km/hr range.  So still raining I headed off into the night.  

The Moonbi Range here is pretty well protected and mostly dual lanes.  I found a 4WD heading north and stayed a reasonable distance behind him using his high beam as a safety measure as the Dakar's lights are not the best.  The wind was starting to blow me around but was manageable.  There were a few branches on the road but I managed to avoid them but a lot of leaf litter was blowing parallel to the ground.  

However as I reached the top of the range and passed Thunderbolt's Rock the full impact of the wind hit me.  I was being blown across the road and so changed down gears.  There were few vehicles on the road and probably all on their way home.  I had lost my safety vehicle and was battling the wind, rain and bad visibility.  Safely through Uralla I would have been better stopping for the night at Bendemeer which is the option Happy Feet took.  

As I approached Armidale Airport I was planning to stop there and have a bit of a break.  Just coming up the hill it then happened.  A tree was across my lane and then "Ooof" and I was rolling on my back with the Dakar sliding beside me.  Not many sparks I thought and rolling onto my stomach I used my hands to slow down.  I knew there was a car a safe distance behind me but needed to get off the road.  I scrambled a couple of meters before the pain hit me.  Lying on the road I was in someone's headlights and half a dozen people were around me in no time including two doctors.  I managed to take my helmet off but could not get up off my back.  Fortunately I was well padded with good riding gear and a few layers of warm clothing, a bit like the Michelin man.  

A thoughtful off duty fireman moved the Dakar off the road, put it on the side stand and gave me the keys.  As people hovered and one of the doctors did his thing an Ambulance arrived and I was dragged off to Armidale Hospital.  Thoughtfully they threw all the bike luggage in with me and only needed to cut off some of my underclothing.  So much for stopping at the servo.  

To cut a long story short, I stopped shivering eventually in the hospital and the the paramedic thought I was in pain due to the tears in my eyes.  Sorry, that was the rain from lying on my back.  After a series of CT scans and x-rays, an oxygen feed and a morphine drip I was transferred from the HDU to the ward after a couple of days before being kollected by Schorn and driven home.  I spent five nights in hospital before being released and many thanks to Schorn.  The funny thing in the hospital was a lot of the staff members names started with a K.  As I spent the latter years of my schooling in Armidale, I was sort of a local anyway.  Hi to Kylie in X-ray.  

Apart from some bark off me at the pointy bits and a bruised knee, the real damage was done to my ribs.  The majority of my left ribs are fractured and a few are what is called a flailing chest.  Still on minor painkillers but healing pretty well.  Still under GP's orders.  

I have not seen the Dakar but the photos I have show I need a new mirror and an indicator.  If I was not so beaten up, I could have ridden her home.  But Doctor's orders and all that and the pain would have been intense.  As it is I found out I was intolerant to Morphine and with all the probes on the trolley stuck in to me it would have made a very slow trip indeed.  

So just waiting for the insurance to sort things out and definitely will not be riding for quite a while. Lots of rest as the ribs heal and thank God for health insurance.  

Word got around to some of the forum members and although I kept it quite a big thank you to those who showed support during this ordeal.  Broken ribs aren't all that enjoyable.  

The Technical Analysis:  
  • half a tree blocking my lane in limited visibility (at least two 6" branches + foliage) 
  • front forks have bounced me over tree (21" front wheel)
  • handlebars have twisted to the left on impact 
  • The impact has thrown me forward 
  • left handlebar has contacted my left ribs causing fracturing 
  • slower speed kept impact to a minimum 
  • wearing full protective clothing 

I used to do this in a previous life, so it's important for me to know what happened.  

I guess it was a real battle of attrition that day.  Firstly Happy Feet and his tyre, Schorn with his sidecar and then myself.  I believe there may have another not yet reported but mine was the worst.  

So finally, sorry RossKKo not my time that day.  Whats that?  I should have ridden my red bike?  But if I did that it would have rained......  

* Pronounced Goolagong.  In the park across the road from the Pub it explains the history of the name and how it changed to the current spelling.

Last edited by TacKler on Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total

259Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:05 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Look after those ribs Tackler. I know how they hurt. The attrition rate on this ride!

Al

260Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:10 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
So glad that you are recovering from the ordeal. Look after yourself. Rosskko would be looking down thinking that wet weather always brings out the best in you.

261Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty RossKKo ride Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:57 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Hope it goes well for ya Dave. Any recovery exercises they give you while your on the mend will probably be a big help, as unlikely as they sometimes seem, or anyway that's what I've found over the years.

262Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:36 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
daveyson wrote:Hope it goes well for ya Dave. Any recovery exercises they give you while your on the mend will probably be a big help, as unlikely as they sometimes seem, or anyway that's what I've found over the years.
I'd agree with that. End of 2010 I had a an incident causing multiple injuries including 7 damaged ribs(yes you can go to sleep on a motorcycle), the little plastic gadget they gave me to train me to breathe properly again was invaluable, it stopped me from snoring Marie says.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 K-dogs10

263Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:17 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
AL-58 wrote:
daveyson wrote:Hope it goes well for ya Dave. Any recovery exercises they give you while your on the mend will probably be a big help, as unlikely as they sometimes seem, or anyway that's what I've found over the years.
I'd agree with that. End of 2010 I had a an incident causing multiple injuries including 7 damaged ribs(yes you can go to sleep on a motorcycle), the little plastic gadget they gave me to train me to breathe properly again was invaluable, it stopped me from snoring Marie says.

Al

The one with the three balls?  I call it my toy because I forget the name of it.

264Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:06 am

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
Bloody hell Dave! Not the ride home you were expecting. Hope the recovery goes well and the drugs don’t interfere with the whisky too much.

Fate is a funny thing - if you had stayed with Rick (aka Happy Feet)…if you hadn’t stopped to help Sean…would you and the tree been there at that precise moment in time to ruin your day? Would the outcome have been better of worse?

Whilst you didn’t quite walk away from it, thank goodness it wasn’t so much worse. Legs, neck…K75 affraid

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

265Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:09 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
TacKler wrote:
AL-58 wrote:I'd agree with that. End of 2010 I had a an incident causing multiple injuries including 7 damaged ribs(yes you can go to sleep on a motorcycle), the little plastic gadget they gave me to train me to breathe properly again was invaluable, it stopped me from snoring Marie says.
The one with the three balls?  I call it my toy because I forget the name of it.
That's an incentive spirometer.

A story well-told, TacKler. cheers

266Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:35 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good grief Dave , what a catastrophe , hoping that you heal well old mate 

no internet here for a while, so im on the mens shed puter catching up where i can , hope to be back to normal end of next week

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

267Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:36 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:
TacKler wrote:
AL-58 wrote:I'd agree with that. End of 2010 I had a an incident causing multiple injuries including 7 damaged ribs(yes you can go to sleep on a motorcycle), the little plastic gadget they gave me to train me to breathe properly again was invaluable, it stopped me from snoring Marie says.
That's an incentive spirometer.

A story well-told, TacKler. cheers

An incentive spirometer
an incentive spirometer
an incentive spirometer.  

Got it now.  

Thanks Laitch.

268Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:56 am

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Hello All, I have received details a few days ago from RossKKo's sister Alison of the fund raising day they are having again this year for the GI Cancer Institute in Sydney in memory of RossKKo.

It is a golf and lunch day but the golf isn't mandatory. I hope to attend but there will be no golf from me, just hope to enjoy the company and lunch.

Details are as follows:

##################################################################################################
Date:    Friday 29th July 2022
Where: Asquith Golf Club - Lord Street, Mt Colah
Time:   Arrive by 6.45am for a 7.30am tee off
Event : Ambrose
Cost:    Golf & lunch $85
            Non golfers - lunch only- $40
            Golf only- $55
RSVP: To Alison by Wednesday 13th July

** For those attending lunch, please advise Alison of any dietary requirements

Payment can be made to the following account:

Account Name:    Alison Garnett
BSB number :       ### ###
Account number : ########
Please use your name as the description

CARTS WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR HIRE - 2 PEOPLE PER CART - Cost per cart is $45. Please let me know ASAP if you would like a cart and I will book one for you. It can be paid for directly to the pro shop on the day.
If you don't have a group of 4 players I will put you in a group.
Prizes for the winning team, longest drive for ladies and men and nearest the pin.

Look forward to seeing you for another wonderful day. If you have any queries please don't hesitate to contact me
##################################################################################################

If any forum members are able to attend please PM me and I will forward the payment details and Alison's contact details by PM.

Cheers
Gaz

269Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:44 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Just an update regarding my little get off on the way home.  

After talking with the insurance company yesterday the Dakar was assessed as non-repairable from an insurance point of view.  It was assessed by a local company about five minutes from home.  I expressed an interest in buying it back as the auction house was about to have the salvage rights to its disposal.  It was suggested that I return to the bike to remove any items owned by me.  

So off I trots to the repairer and requested the key to access some extra tools and other bits still fitted.  Whilst there I decided to kick it in the guts and lo and behold the battery had charge and the engine ticked over.  Well that was joy in itself as it had been sitting for a tad over five weeks.  It was a little emotional then returning the key knowing that I may not ever see her again.  

So today after a further chat yesterday with the insurance company, Dad, my nephew and I arrived at the repairer with trailer and the Dakar is now sitting in its rightful place in my garage.  Minimal damage in my opinion and the financials have now been sorted.  I will receive a cheque from the insurance company less the excess and salvage rights.  It will cost me very little to have it rideable again and the rest is just cosmetic.  

My clothing will also be replaced but at a small cost to myself due to depreciation.  I had a good chat with the insurance bloke where he explained how it all works.  Regarding the Dakar, as it is over 16 years old (2003) it is not subject to being written off and is still registered in my name and they have no legal obligation to report the crash to the transport department.  

The ribs are still mending so riding is still a while away.  Next week is another x-ray and a visit to the doctor.  Still doing physio for rehab as well.  

My thanks to Pegasus, GB777 and Matt for their offers of assistance this end.  

So there is a moral to this story somewhere.  Not quite sure what it is but it was a little painful either way.

270Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:15 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Good to hear that all appears to working out in your favor.  I hope you plan on taking down the front end of your Dakar and making sure all the parts are in proper operating order.  Triple clamps, wheel and steering bearings, the wheel and fork tubes should be closely inspected.  Serious damage can be hiding there.  You certainly don't need a future tank slapper lurking there.

I got rear ended a few years ago by a woman going 75 mph who swore she wasn't playing with her phone.  In my case the bike and the car were both totaled.  Like you my riding gear saved me an awful lot of damage as I came to about 25 meters from the point of impact and only suffered a bunch of sprained joints. 

I think our experiences should be a warning to all to never go out without riding gear.  You never know when you are going to get a close up look at the pavement or ditch on the side of the road.

I wonder how many medical professionals are driving around out there.  When I was hit, an emergency room doctor on her way to work was the second person to come upon the scene of my "assault"(no one accidentally runs into the rear of a motorcycle going 45mph showing hazard flashers in broad daylight on an expressway).

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

271Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:12 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks .75, 

Although at the moment I am just removing the scratched pieces and gathering parts.  Some parts are NLA as new so they bike will show some battle damage adding a bit of character.  It needs a very good wash and I'll be sure to give the front end a thorough going over.  No obvious signs of damage there but it is still dirty preventing a proper inspection.  The fork seals needed replacing so it will include that as well.  Steering head bearings as a matter of course just because the front end will be off.   

I always wear full riding gear when going out.  My boots are not bike boots but well suited to the task and just need a good coat of polish.  Too old to try to be kool anymore but I do have a Steve McQueen t-shirt I bought at the Le Mans circuit.

272Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Let RossKKo ride Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:14 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Good to hear you are mending Dave. I am only just catching up on this news. Seems the Bathurst trip this year was pretty dangerous.
Hope you recover quickly mate, and, and look forward to catching up closer to your home town sometime.
RT

273Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:32 am

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Well its now 2023 and at this time of year our thoughts again turn to remembering our great friend Rosskko. Thanks to a friendly reminder from Rickmeister I have finally got my backside into gear and contacted Rosskko's family regarding this year's gathering at Mt Panorama.

Since Rosskko's anniversary of 26th May is on a Friday this year I asked them if the following Sunday 28th May would be suitable and both Sandra and Alison have advised that day would suit them. I didn't discuss a time for meeting on the Mount but I think we usually go for around 11.00am and we can advise them of what suits everyone as the day draws closer.

So ....... let the plans begin!

I am not certain that I will be able to make the pilgrimage this year as this old body needs some running repairs that will include surgeons and sharp objects, so my attendance will depend on scheduling of that treatment and recovery time. I will update the Krew on my situation as it unfolds.

I'm sure it will be well worth the trip for anyone who can make it.

Cheers

274Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:09 am

Rickmeister

Rickmeister
Life time member
Life time member
Well done, Gaz!

Again, Saturday night at the Globe at Rylestone, Sunday at Bathurst, Sunday night.....Canowindra, Millthorpe, Hill End, Eugowra, Capertee???

Work in progress.

When destinations are settled, each to their own re:booking digs!

Rickmeister.

275Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:16 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Rickmeister wrote:Well done, Gaz!

Again, Saturday night at the Globe at Rylestone, Sunday at Bathurst, Sunday night.....Canowindra, Millthorpe, Hill End, Eugowra, Capertee???

Work in progress.

When destinations are settled, each to their own re:booking digs!

Rickmeister.

The good news is the Jack Duggans Hotel in Bathurst has changed hands again and has returned to much the same ambience and menu as before (ie good warming Irish Stew etc).  The previous new owners turned it into burgers and standard pub grub).

If you need me to chase anything here just ask.  I'll have the local shops prepared for Ricks tyres Wink

Al

276Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:42 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
When you say local Al, I hope you have included all those withing a 200km radius?  

There is even a slight chance Matt may be able to attend this one as well.  He needs a break from work  Shocked

Last edited by TacKler on Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

277Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Let Rossko ride with you Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:31 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I'm in, always up for a good freezup in May.
I'll book the wet weather.
RT

278Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:44 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
I'm out for this year, sadly, due to some European travel plans.
I always like to go on this ride if I can, ( even though half the time it takes me a week to get home again for one reason or another), as it's a good chance to catch up with some of you non-hillbillies and enjoy a chat.
Have a great ride and someone have a sip of Honey for me please.

Sean.

279Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:04 am

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Well folks, as I indicated in my previous post, medical events may conspire to thwart my intention to be at Mt Panorama as usual. This has happened and I will be out of action from 19th May for a few weeks.

I won't miss the cold weather up on the Mount on 28th but I sure as hell will be missing the kamaraderie. I'll have Rosskko in my thoughts on the day but I'm sure the rest of you will drink my share of the Honey Bourbon.

Cheers

280Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Mon May 01, 2023 5:40 am

Rickmeister

Rickmeister
Life time member
Life time member
The day is getting closer...

Bro Tom and I will book into the Globe at Rylestone for Saturday night, 27th May, attend the Honey Bourbon toast at 11:00 on the Sunday, do lunch at the Irish pub in Bathurst, with Rosskko's family, and then mosey on up to the pub at Hill end, via Turondale, not Sofala, for drinks and lodgings at the pub. The trip home via Hargreaves, maybe Mudgee or Gulgong still a W.I.P., but quite a nice jolly.

I will make a pilgrimage to Dr Dans, and procure the Honey Bourbon.

Don't forget your Brick shot glasses (plastics?)

See youse there!!

Rickmeister.

281Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Mon May 01, 2023 8:51 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Sounds like a good plan, I shall make a booking or two.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

282Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Tue May 02, 2023 5:22 am

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
Rickmeister wrote:The day is getting closer...

Bro Tom and I will book into the Globe at Rylestone for Saturday night, 27th May, attend the Honey Bourbon toast at 11:00 on the Sunday, do lunch at the Irish pub in Bathurst, with Rosskko's family, and then mosey on up to the pub at Hill end, via Turondale, not Sofala, for drinks and lodgings at the pub. The trip home via Hargreaves, maybe Mudgee or Gulgong still a W.I.P., but quite a nice jolly.

I will make a pilgrimage to Dr Dans, and procure the Honey Bourbon.

Don't forget your Brick shot glasses (plastics?)

See youse there!!

Rickmeister.
I booked a room at the Globe and the Royal hotel at Hill End, is there a good pool table at Hill End Rickmeister. Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 1f3b1

98 K1100lt: Vin 8044

283Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Tue May 02, 2023 9:27 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Just booked both pubs so count me in. cheers

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

284Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Wed May 10, 2023 3:04 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
'Tis not looking like I will make it this year.  

As the meet up is on the Sunday, I have to be back in Brisbane on the Monday to finalise something.  After last years epic trek north amongst our members, I don't really wish to repeat the same adventures and to visit Armidale Hospital again.  

I just ask that Uli do any drinking on my behalf.

285Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Let Rossko ride with you Wed May 10, 2023 5:14 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I shall make a booking at each as well. God help me and my knobbies this time of year.
RT

286Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Let Rossko ride with you Fri May 12, 2023 4:14 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Well seems I have left my booking too late. Rylstone is completely booked out both pubs so I will be camping in Bathurst and meeting up with you all at the Mount.
RT

287Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Fri May 12, 2023 7:52 am

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
Hi all,

Still doing some catching up here at home, and I can't see that being completed inside two weeks.
Consequently, joining the Krew on the Saturday or Sunday night isn't on.  Sad

However, I'll wangle a day leave pass for the Sunday, and meet you at the mountain at 11am, thence to lunch at the Irish, by the sound of it.

Not as good as sharing a couple of evening pub meals and watching the pool shark as well, but still something I'll look forward to. (At least I won't be a victim of the pool shark.)

Now to instigate a search for the brick shot glass. Given the state of my shed, I might need two weeks. Wink

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

288Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Wed May 17, 2023 12:00 am

Rickmeister

Rickmeister
Life time member
Life time member
Okey Dokey...I have been in touch with Sandra, she's expecting 6 people in her group for the Sunday (28th) I rang Jack Duggans Irish pub and booked a table for lunch for 18 people, 12:30 kick off.

Meeting at the top of Mt Panorama at 11:00, so after a drink of the Honey Bourbon and a chinwag, 12:30 lunch should be do-able.

Hope the weather holds!!

Rickmeister.

289Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Let Rossko ride with you Wed May 17, 2023 5:13 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Excellent Herr Fahrenfuhrer (can t find the umlaut)
Something is afoot this weekend, I have booked into the Royal at Canowindra for Saturday  night, got the last room as they have a group of motorcyclists in as well. Must be good weather?

alas it also seems Bill and I may be double bunking, or hot bunking in 4 hour shifts as he is joining me for red wine and bullshit
for the night.

Can't wait.

Now to see if my cold weather clothes fit, I think they shrunk during my house move.
RT

290Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Wed May 24, 2023 7:15 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Unfortunately won't be able to make it but I'll be sure to raise a glass of something I have on the shelf on Saturday evening. probably a Jameson Stout Edition or a Jack Daniels. Enjoy the weekend  Very Happy

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

291Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Thu May 25, 2023 3:07 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Rickmeister wrote:Okey Dokey...I have been in touch with Sandra, she's expecting 6 people in her group for the Sunday (28th) I rang Jack Duggans Irish pub and booked a table for lunch for 18 people, 12:30 kick off.

Meeting at the top of Mt Panorama at 11:00, so after a drink of the Honey Bourbon and a chinwag, 12:30 lunch should be do-able.

Hope the weather holds!!

Rickmeister.
Marie and I will be there at the mountain and at Jack Duggans for lunch too.

Al

292Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Thu May 25, 2023 3:28 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Unfortunatly wont be able to attend this year...   just things getting in the way.

Will be toasting the memory  from afar this time

Cheers to all

293Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:17 pm

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
What news?  

Were any photos taken or hardships endured?  

Did Uli drink my quota of beer?

294Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:26 pm

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
So how was the ride this year?
Would like to see a ride report if anyone has the time.
Yours in exile
Sean

295Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:31 pm

Waz

Waz
Life time member
Life time member
I rode up and home same day and didn’t get any photos. Both of Roskko old bikes made it, thanks to Michael and Marie. Roskko wife, sister and both of his brother in-laws all at the mountain. I think most went to pub for lunch but I left early, I have been caught in snow leaving before and it was cold enough to snow so I bolted. It was good to catch up but always a sad day. Someone will be along with photos and a better report I am sure.

R1200GS
650 Vstrom

296Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:43 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Thanks Waz

Was thinking of the comemoration up here

297Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:05 pm

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Waz.
Well imagine that...cold for Rossko's ride eh...

298Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:42 pm

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
As you all know, I wasn't able to make the pilgrimage to Mt Panorama this year but naturally I was in touch with Rosskko's family and forum members who were up there in the bitingly cold wind on the day.

As a result I have some photos passed on to me by those present so here they are - smiling faces and familiar bikes (and not so familiar in the case of Al's mighty Honda outfit).

Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Img_6511

Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Img_6510

Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Img_0411

Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Img_1210

Cheers

299Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:59 pm

Rickmeister

Rickmeister
Life time member
Life time member
Sorry about the tardy report. As it turned out, there were no white knuckle moments, incidents etc. The lack of numbers on the ride was unfortunate, but these things happen. Seanni was busy tromping around the Fatherland, Charlie was busy with his affairs etc. I personally would like to keep the tradition going...it's been 7 years now.

Anyway, Bro Tom and I met at the standard meeting place, onto Denman (A road ridden about a thousand times before) de-saddled and about to settle into the coffee and vittles when the burbling music of a K1200 was heard. RickG from QLD arrived, out of the blue and joined us. The 3 of us saddled up, down the Bylong Valley road onto Rylestone, for lodgings at the Globe. We rode this track a few months ago and it was terrible...dangerous potholes horrible surface, not much fun. Work was v.evident, as the road surface had been improved immensely.

The Globe was fully booked, so our illustrious friend and drinking companion, RT, was unable to join us.

Tom, Rick G and I settled in for a few drinks, stories and lies. Meal time arrived, and who should turn up...AL and Marie, who made the trip up from Bathurst to join us for a meal. Several beers and bottles of red later, Al and Marie departed, and luckily the rest of us decided to retire.

That's when the cold set in....it was bloody freezing!!! Managed to survive the night, next morning set off to Bathurst...freezing. Arrived at the designated meeting place at the top of Mt Panorama at the designated time. The gang was there, Waz, Bill, RT, Rossko's side, Al and Marie and another bloke, a member of the BMW touring club who I didn't know. We all did our thing, had several slugs of the Honey Bourbon and decided to go to the Irish pub for lunch.

The reason I didn't take any photos is that it was so cold, that I couldn't stop shivering, so any pics would have been v.blurry. I think Bill and a few others took some pics.

After a nice lunch, said our good-byes to Sandra and Alison and their respective partners and chuffed off to Al and Marie's place to pick up some K bits for Tom to take back to Newcastle. Their shed is a shed to die for...green with envy.

Then off to a place called Hill End, famous for the gold rush days. Nice ride up through Turondale , Sallys Flat and Hill End. Arrived at the pub (The Royal, built in 1872) and met RT there. Settled in for a beaut afternoon and evening in front of the fire, again enjoying multiple beers and red wine.

The next morning we were met with wet saddles and wet road. Took it very easy to Mudgee, re-fuelled and thence back to Maitland and Newcastle. RickG, departed north and decided to do the 700Km trip in one hit. RT headed back south to Young and it was all over for another year.

I'd like to keep the tradition going, last weekend in May, first night at the Globe and and somewhere different on the Sunday night. It's a pity that there were less starters this year for various reasons, but it would be nice to have a better turn out next year.

For overseas lads and ladies, Mt Panorama at Bathurst is an Aussie icon, ie, a famous racing circuit, up the hill across the top (Where Rossko is) and down again. Its quite tight and is amazing how fast the cars go. Bikes are no longer there, as it is deemed to be to dangerous. Years ago at Easter, the bikes would be on the Friday and Saturday, and cars on Sunday and Monday. I first went in 1966, on my little CB72 250cc Honda Super Sport. At half time the road would be opened to the public. Hopped on the Honda, down the Dipper and onto Conrod straight, managed 11,000 revs in top gear (about 105mph) with a million coppers around, but I got away with it.

So...that's it then, and hope to see you all again next May.

Rickmeister.

300Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Let Rossko ride with you Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:52 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Tardy and late as I am, I would like to thank everyone again for coming. boy it was cold, some of the roads were icy on Saturday with snow and ice warning signs everywhere. Enough to make me pucker up up bit.
Anyway, I travelled on Friday and stayed at the Telegraph hotel in Molong. Looks better on their website than in life, but had a pleasant enough stay. I was to meet Bill at Canowindra on Saturday night, and being only about an hour away I did a Rickmeister run through Wellington, Parkes, somewhere else and Canowindra. Had a nap and caught up with Bill.
The Royal at Canowindra was fully booked by a group of bikers, who decided to pull the plug after a breakdown, around 5.30 pm. the pub had put extra staff on, I felt bad for them. Something to remember when touring, these guys have to plan kitchen and bar staff early so 
we must consider them if travelling in a larger group.
Dinner, red wine and sleep, bikes in a shed, sun was up, off to Bathurst.
I lost Bill at Blayney, had to make a pit stop (took a while to find Willy, it was soooo cold)
and still managed to beat Bill to the top of the Mount.

All was well, Bill was off to lunch and home, I, being a chicken, wanted to putter my way to Hill End scanning for ice.

Met up with the gang, drinks, food, drinks, wine, drinks, sleep.
Hit the road back to Young, stopped at Bathurst and realised I had lost my phone.

As id turned out I left it at Hill End pub.

Next day, wifey and I loaded the 3 dogs up and returned to Hill End, got my phone, back to Molong cause idiot here bought something big from a cane shop there, then went home. 10 hours of driving.

I,m too old for this. Just recovered now.

Thanks to everyone for a great trip again. Look forward to some Spring warmth.

RT

301Back to top Go down   Let RossKKo ride with you - Page 6 Empty Re: Let RossKKo ride with you Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:20 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Great to hear the reports from the attendees. Sounds like the old gang is still up to doing silly things. Unfortunately I could not attend as I was recovering from surgery. Why is it that the older you get the more parts of you need attention ? Question

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum