BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   oil pump maintenance Empty oil pump maintenance Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:53 am

Stumiester

Stumiester
this time I will ask the questions before diving into the project.oil pump maintenance Icon_wink
I have a 1987 K100Rs
73K mikes,  the bike sat for 2 years waiting for other repairs.  I got it running and have been going over the routine stuff like oil changes and new plugs. fixed the oil pan leak.

I have read the procedure for changing the seals on the oil pump, the oil pump weep hole may be oozing oil, not much but it's not dry. no coolant visible.
so here are the questions:

1. I don't know if I have a new or old pump (shaft) and people say pop the cover off and see. does opening it up to view the shaft end promote leaking?  is it safe to open the cover just to look?
if it's original then it will be the old one.

2. if my weep hole is damp, or oily, how long can I safely run it if I watch the coolant tank?

3. I understand the need to be on top of this stuff, but I would also like to run the bike a while to see what else I may be getting into, on the other hand  the riding season is not here yet.

4. any updated (recent) input on sourcing the whole pump (worst case)  in the US other than MAX BMW, I know a kit would be cheaper if the pump shaft is the newer one.

2Back to top Go down   oil pump maintenance Empty Re: oil pump maintenance Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:51 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
1. You can remove the cover. Clean the mating surfaces and apply sealant when you install it again.
2. I don't know. Check the oil sight glass regularly.
3. Get this done before mud season ends if you know the importance of being on top of this stuff.
4. I don't know.

3Back to top Go down   oil pump maintenance Empty Re: oil pump maintenance Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:44 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Stumiester wrote:
1. I don't know if I have a new or old pump (shaft) and people say pop the cover off and see. does opening it up to view the shaft end promote leaking?  is it safe to open the cover just to look?

2. if my weep hole is damp, or oily, how long can I safely run it if I watch the coolant tank?

3. I understand the need to be on top of this stuff, but I would also like to run the bike a while to see what else I may be getting into, on the other hand  the riding season is not here yet.

4. any updated (recent) input on sourcing the whole pump (worst case)  in the US other than MAX BMW, I know a kit would be cheaper if the pump shaft is the newer one.
if its an 87 will be the newer pump assembly

you can tell by the bolt holding the impeller rather than the old type with a nut ...on a bolt out of the shaft

yes its safe to pull the front cover

they will run for quite a while with a slight leak ...weep

look at motorworks ..uk for a complete refurbished pump ? 

many have been successful with the motorworks refurbished pump ...although on a rare occasion been miffed by a poor quality build  ...but it isn't hard at all to buy the kit of parts and install ...just care needs to be taken

good luck

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   oil pump maintenance Empty Re: oil pump maintenance Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:02 am

Stumiester

Stumiester
charlie99 wrote:
Stumiester wrote:

if its an 87 will be the newer pump assembly

you can tell by the bolt holding the impeller rather than the old type with a nut ...on a bolt out of the shaft

yes its safe to pull the front cover

they will run for quite a while with a slight leak ...weep

look at motorworks ..uk for a complete refurbished pump ? 

many have been successful with the motorworks refurbished pump ...although on a rare occasion been miffed by a poor quality build  ...but it isn't hard at all to buy the kit of parts and install ...just care needs to be taken

good luck
thanks for the tips, it turns out the 'weep' was more significant than first thought and I opted to replace the pump.  the time is now.  so I also went for the whole pump since the shaft and kit were nearly the same price as the rebuilt pump.  
Stuart

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum