BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Advise on buying unseen Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:32 am

ERasberg

ERasberg
Silver member
Silver member
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbee on the forum, and currently in the process of buying a K100RS. I have honed in on one that seems promising, however it is located a good 500 miles from where I live. I would therefore like to be maximum prepared so that if I decide to go see it, it is with the intention of buying it.
What would be critical info to ask in advance ?

It's a BMW K100RS 1988 (imported from Germany in 2008)
60,000 miles / 97,000 km
2,700 USD / 2,300 EUR
https://www.leboncoin.fr/motos/1306683331.htm?ca=12_s

So far what I know :
1) Bike driven 10,000 miles in the last 10 years (had not been out for 1 year, parked in a heated garage). Was started and driven 1 mile over the summer.
2) Owner is 61 years old, and wants to sell because the bike is too heavy for him + he has 2 other (more suitable) bikes.
3) Maintenance : Owner is looking for his receipts to let me know what has been done since he bought it.
Rear shock absorber apparently changed recently. No info yet on last spline lube. New battery + starter relay apparently working fine)
4) Attached 2 photos, I have asked him to send me more pictures 

As I now have a crush on this bike (and as an RS in decent shape is hard to come buy in France), any input from your collective wisdom on how to avoid pitfalls and premature decisions would be highly appreciated. Smile

Best regards,
Einar Rasberg.

Advise on buying unseen D62afc10Advise on buying unseen E2532b10

Last edited by ERasberg on Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:52 am

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
Hello!

Welcome. What should you pay attention to? 

1st auxiliary air. Take the brake cleaner with you. Spray the suction trace on the left side. When the motorcycle changes sound it will get side air.

2. Look the lady also under the dress. The water pump has a small drain opening at the bottom. If there is a water or an oil drop, the pump must be repaired. Get a Photo!

Between gearbox and engine is also a drain hole oil? Otherwise you do not have long pleasure with the clutch. 

3. Steering head bearing. Check the motorcycle on the main stand and the steering head bearing. 

4. Fan, check if there is free play and if it goes on.

5. Does run well without any extra unwanted noise!

6. The price is to high, should be around 1700€

Cheers

Besides that she looks nice OK

3Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:48 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I've purchased four or five K bikes long distance.  Here's my .02.

To start with, it's a 30 year old vehicle so go into the deal with your eyes open assuming there may/will be issues. If you do buy it then don't let something needing attention make you regret your decision.  Once you've bought it it's yours. Kicking yourself for a decision that you've already made gains you nothing.

It's a BMW. Don't buy it unless you plan on being your own mechanic. Otherwise it is not cost-effective vs. buying a newer bike that costs less to have somebody else maintain/fix. You don't have to be somebody who can do EVERYTHING to it but at least plan to do basic maintenance and most repairs yourself with help from people here on the K100 forum. If you want a bike that you can just drop off at a shop when it needs something then you'll be buying a money pit if you pick up an old K.

That said, Ks are pretty reliable bikes and in general people tend to take care of/maintain them well so buying one usually doesn't entail a whole lot of risk and I generally don't care about how big a pile of parts/maintenance receipts come with it.

If it's been sitting for a while (which apparently this one hasn't) then there are the usual fuel pump/tank/system issues to deal with.

In many states in the US there are not mandatory vehicle safety/roadworthiness inspections so buying used vehicles can be risky but if in France there are mandatory inspections then that is a good thing.

If it appeals to you and is priced fairly for your market then go for it.

(And realize that any advice you get from this forum is probably very biased in favor of these bikes.)

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:25 am

ERasberg

ERasberg
Silver member
Silver member
Thank you Chocolate and Duck for great input. Highly appreciated !
I will have the owner give me feedback on the oil drain holes. Agree that is key to check. Road inspections are not mandatory for motorcycles in france.

I agree the price is slightly high, however it seems to be the going price in France, it's a bike that is rapidly increasing in value due to the cafe racer trend.
I believe I can negotiate it down to 2,100 EUR, and I'll most likely take it for that price.

I am capable of doing basic maintenance on old R-bikes (filters, valve clearance, break fluids, suspension, some electrics) so I hope that will be skills i can transfer to the K. I agree, with a 30-year old bike, problems will have to be tackled at some point. That is not worrying me, as long as the mechanical integrity of the engine, gearbox, frame and driveshaft is acceptable.
I will use it for weekend trips and 2-up.

And a bit of bias is good, I'm looking for an excuse to buy her, of course! Smile

Regards,

5Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:38 pm

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
Just a add on:
It has ABS make sure it works, could be expensive otherwise.
ABS light should go of after starting, pulling the handbrake, pressing the rear break AND going at least 5km/h. Then all lights should be of!

Cheers

6Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:08 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Another thing to note: That bike has the white/blue SE (Special Edition) paint job.  It's a great color scheme but the white of it tends to yellow a bit with age.  This might not show up in pictures but may be either slightly or very visible in person.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

7Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:25 pm

ERasberg

ERasberg
Silver member
Silver member
Hello more great input. Thank you for being so quick to respond.
I have been assured the ABS works (surprisingly). To be tested.
I should receive more pictures later today, which I will share with you.

Fingers crossed they show no particular issues. Hard to jugde the character of the seller over the phone. He seems honest but with limited mechanical knowhow.

Will keep you posted.
Thanks again!
Einar.

8Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:35 pm

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome along Einar,

Good luck with your potential purchase. I can only echo what Duck and Chocolate have said. I bought one of my current bikes at distance (about 130 miles away - not as far as yours, but far enough to have to make a commitment). Others have travelled much further. You can only go by what the current owner says and by studying the pics - she looks pretty tidy and the mileage/age is definitely not an issue. Things will need fixing, that's part of the price we pay for getting a K100, but the basic skills are fairly easy to pick up and between this forum and a decent manual, you should be well placed to get stuck in.

At the end of the day, if you get there and she doesn't feel right (or is a completely different looking bike), you spend some of those Euros on your train fare home instead. There will be other bikes out there....but if she is good and the price is right, yeehaw!

Enjoy

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

9Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:10 pm

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member
There is lots of good advice here.  I'd add an obvious suggestion that I don't think has been mentioned yet.  Have a good look in the tank.  Is it clean? Older bikes that have been neglected may have a mess of disintegrating rubber bits floating around to gum up the fuel pump.  K-bike tanks also develop leaks if there is water that has been allowed to settle in the corners.  These problems shouldn't be deal-breakers, but they should effect the price one is willing to offer for an old machine. 
That said, the photo shows a pretty example of a nice color scheme from that year.  I hope you are successful in acquiring the bike and it's in good order, as the photos suggest.

10Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:22 pm

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
Born Again Eccentric wrote:
At the end of the day, if you get there and she doesn't feel right (or is a completely different looking bike), you spend some of those Euros on your train fare home instead. There will be other bikes out there....but if she is good and the price is right, yeehaw!

A k75 I was looking at was 350km away, I took the train at 5am went to Aachen. First impression, I didn't like the seller (the only thing he repeated was, "the bike is perfect" he owned it only for 3 month!). Second, the bike wasn't as expected for the price.
So if I don't feel well, I don't buy !
I had a nice day n the City and went home.

Cheers

Last edited by Chocolate on Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

11Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:23 pm

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
I have had some good times in Aachen, first time in 1976 and last time a couple of years ago.

12Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:27 pm

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
Nice place Aachen
Advise on buying unseen Aachen

13Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:36 pm

ERasberg

ERasberg
Silver member
Silver member
Roger on the gas tank. I have seen comments that if left stationary for a long time, fuel system must be inspected. Will do so.

I have received some additional pictures of the bike (attached), she looks to be in very good condition.

My biggest concern is that he doesn't seem to have any idea when the splines where lubed the last time (I believe mostly because he's mechanically not very competent). He trusts blindly a local mechanic that he uses for servicing.
It could be that it dates back to 2008 / 10,000 miles ago when she was sold by a german dealership and imported to france. 
However, judging by the general condition of the bike, i'm inclined to believe she's been well taken care of.

What say you? Lack of spline-lube history, is it a deal-breaker ?

The urge to buy is increasing !! Smile

Advise on buying unseen Tn_p1110
Advise on buying unseen Tn_p1111
Advise on buying unseen Tn_p1113
Advise on buying unseen Tn_p1115
Advise on buying unseen Tn_p1114
Advise on buying unseen Tn_p1112
Advise on buying unseen Tn_p1116

14Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:48 pm

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
ERasberg wrote:
What say you? Lack of spline-lube history, is it a deal-
Don't bother about the spline-lub, normally it hasn't been done !
The spline should just not make any noise while you ride and shift.

You can do it by yourself, 1 hour work, easy.

Have luke and a good bike

From the pictures the bike looks good !
There seams no oil to be dropping, if he didn't clean it ;-)
Could be a good buy, I would go for it, ride it and test if it's OK

Cheers

15Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:04 pm

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
It is a pretty bike but in my opinion a bit expensive. I bought my 1991 K100RS which is a 16 valve for €1100 on Leboncoin as couple of years ago.
Here is a newer 16valve much nearer to you http://www.ebay.fr/itm/BMW-K100-RS1-/192315770809?hash=item2cc6e9c7b9:g:wJsAAOSwn45Zw8H-

16Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:19 pm

ERasberg

ERasberg
Silver member
Silver member
I agree that it's a tad expensive, however I have not yet seen a decent RS for 1100€ since I started looking. I guess the market must have changed a lot over the last years then.

Thank you for the link to the ebay-add. Unfortunately the bike you refer to has a fractured fairing, damaged mirrors and paint-job as well as a malfunctioning ABS, and therefore represent too much work for me to take on.

17Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:26 pm

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
Yes it has things to fix, but it is a very different bike with much more modern running gear and a better engine. Things are easy to repair if the price is good.
Having owned an RS1 (16 valve) I would never consider the old 8 valve again.
Your choice.

18Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
The 8 valvet Bikes we are talking here about is more reliable and less oil consumption!
Acceleration is better with the 16 valvet but for me a 8 valvet bike is just fine !

I ride very relaxed, even so there is good speed with the 8 valvet I have :-)

Cheers

19Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:44 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Oil consumption varies from individual bike to individual bike.

Aside from horsepower, the other advantages of the 16V K100:

Virtually no FD spline wear.
Paralever rear end for better performance and no jacking effect.
Better forks/front end suspension.
Radial tires.
MUCH better front brakes.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

20Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:06 pm

ERasberg

ERasberg
Silver member
Silver member
I'm taking your comments to heart, and I agree that a 16V would ideally be the best choice, especially for engine performance.
I probably need to do more research on the topic.

Finding specifically a 16V engine wasn't high on my priority list, but rather overall mechanical realiability and general condition. I agree it's up for discussion whether this is the right way to go.
As I am a pretty calm rider who doesn't push the limits too far, I figured I'd be ok with either one.

Regarding the spline lube story, this doesn't seem to be a major concern, so I am likely to book my train ticket to go see it over the weekend.

Last edited by ERasberg on Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

21Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:17 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Here's two more cents.

It is an '88 Special Edition with what looks like a good original paint job, no readily visible fairing damage, normal wear and no obvious signs of renovation.  In other words, it looks to me like a very well cared for bike.  It looks like it has been garaged since new so it is unlikely the paint has much sun damage yellowing.

The miles on it are not excessive and are probably enough to have prevented most of the problems that come from lack of use. 

Service records would be nice, but judging from the cleanliness and overall condition I would say that if it starts readily from cold and can be run up through the gears to at least 100kph and gives no problems in a 30km ride it will be a good bike. 

Can't really speak to the price, but personally I would try to get it for no more than $2500 USD.  The '88 Special Edition is arguably the most likely non-K1 brick to eventually become collectible, and this one looks to be one of the better preserved examples.  It would be nicer if it had the optional belly pan, and there is no indication if the tires are over 4 years old and need to be replaced soon.

From what I can see, I wouldn't hesitate riding 1000 miles home.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

22Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:45 am

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
This K100RS looks fine, I've also seriously considered about buying it.

23Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:24 am

uhoh7

uhoh7
You don't see all that many nice as that one looks Smile

If the speedometer is working, I would check for tire cracks, brakefluid, etc, and steal that sweetie Wink

24Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:15 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
I bought my K1100RS sight unseen from across the other side of Australia. A four hour flight and about 6,000km later I had her home. I did have a friend take her for a ride (thanks Rawdonball) and I spoke to the mechanic who had been servicing the bike.
As Duck says, make your decision and stand by it. Don't have regrets. Its an old machine. Expect to do some work on her. Doing basic servicing like filters and fluids as well as all your spline lubes should be a priority.
It looks like a really nice machine in good condition and being an SE is a plus as it should hold its value easily.
Cheers

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Advise on buying unseen Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

25Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:37 am

ERasberg

ERasberg
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for the overwhelming response and encouragement, you guys are awesome and this forum rocks! 

Agree with the comments that work must be expected, that's part of the deal with old bikes. Experiences from a R75/5 '71 and a R65 '81 confirms this.
Howeover, I also happen to believe that general cleanliness is a good sign of a bike well taken care of, despite having been burned once. 
I have taken notes on all your feedback, read lots of great posts on this forum, and prepared two checklists to help inspection before and after the test ride.

I'm going to call the owner today to set up a meeting for the upcoming weekend. Fingers crossed for a deal in the near future.

26Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:49 am

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member

27Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:16 am

ERasberg

ERasberg
Silver member
Silver member
Thank you for these videos. I hadn't seen the first one you posted. Much appreciated. Chris Harris' videos are great sources.
I feel confident doing the final drive spline lube. After that it gets tricky.  

I'd love to have one of those maintenance ramps...and a proper garage instead of a shared parking...

28Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:20 am

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
ERasberg wrote:I'd love to have one of those maintenance ramps...and a proper garage instead of a shared parking...

The joys of living in northern France! Down this end of France we tend to be less populated and have more room for bikes.

29Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:31 am

ERasberg

ERasberg
Silver member
Silver member
Bike reserved !

30Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:09 am

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
I See a major deal breaker!

There's a plastic tie wrap that need trimming.

Good luck with the test ride!

Mike

31Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:58 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
mike d wrote:I See a major deal breaker!

Mike
As long as it's a black one I wouldn't be concerned.  If it's white or some other color, I would reduce the price by $1 USD.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

32Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:37 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Point-Seven-five wrote:   It would be nicer if it had the optional belly pan,

The belly pan was standard on the -88 and -89 SE model, and was different painted
the two years this model was produced.........-88 was blue/white, -89 was all blue.

33Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:30 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
ERasberg wrote:Bike reserved !
Great. Good luck.  Sounds like you know what you're getting into and it looks like a nice specimen.

Welcome to the Klub!

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

34Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:54 pm

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
I have a spare belly pan and frame here at a price!

35Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:35 pm

ERasberg

ERasberg
Silver member
Silver member
BobT wrote:I have a spare belly pan and frame here at a price!
Thanks for the kind offer Bob. I've been assured that the belly pan comes with. If that it's inaccurate, I'll give you a shout. 

Duck : thank you looking forward to own a K and be an active member of the forum.

36Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:32 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I suspect you are going to really like that bike.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

37Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:26 pm

ERasberg

ERasberg
Silver member
Silver member
mike d wrote:I See a major deal breaker!

Mike

I suspect so too, as long as that tie wrap doesn't ruin the deal...

Jokes aside, fingers crossed she meets expectations during the test drive this weekend.

E/

38Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:12 pm

Bonzo

Bonzo
Life time member
Life time member
I'm late to the party ERasberg (story of my life), and cant add anything that the guys haven't already mentioned.

Ill just say that I think that SE looks beautiful. Don't worry about the money. Its only money! You could wait around for years looking for one a few hundred cheaper & I'm certain it wouldn't be a well cared for as this one (at least that's how it looks).

I'm excited to hear how you get on at the weekend  bounce

Good luck mate  Advise on buying unseen 112350

39Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:39 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Looks me like just go for it.

I had my 84RT in France and came back last weekend. It turned 84,000 miles fourth week of august, 85,000 miles first weekend in September near Nantes, 86,000 miles last week at Plazac, 87,000 miles today not far from where I live.

It had 36,000 miles when I got it in July 2013.

Yours SE looks extremely well kept and worth going for.

Buy a K and have a budget for some works and you will be fine. Spline lube if not done with that kind of mileage will not be an issue, you should just assume it has not been done and do it anyway.

The other posts have summed it all up and no more to add.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

40Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:21 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
I too purchased an '88 K100RS SE last year.  It had been sitting for 4 years (estate sale), though I eventually determined it had been well cared for once I got it home.  I put a new battery in it and it started straight up with that junky old gas in it (true story).  I have changed out all the fluids and fuel lines, and have new tires on order (hopefully this week).  I still need to do a spline lube.  All this to say you may get yours home and spend an afternoon freshening it up and be able to ride out the rest of the season without mechanical drama.  Let us know what transpires!

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

41Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:55 am

ERasberg

ERasberg
Silver member
Silver member
Thank you good sirs, for all the excellent input and encouragement.

I feel reassured that the mileage is not an issue (initially I had a doubt), and it'll be a good test to drive her back the 500 km to Paris. 

I will keep you all posted once I take possession of the beast. 
I'm waiting for confirmation from the owner to pick it up this weekend.

42Back to top Go down   Advise on buying unseen Empty Re: Advise on buying unseen Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:55 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Review this before you leave:

http://www.verrill.com/moto/newkbike.shtml

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum