BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fuel Injection problem Empty Fuel Injection problem Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:46 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hello all
I'm back with another seemingly stupi question.
My 85 RT has not been started for a few years and I have done all the suggested steps so far. I found that the spark plugs were all showing a good spark, but 3 of them were dry, the fourth was wet and dirty. The bike was sounding like it wanted to kick, with a small amount of black smoke exhausting.
So, following some of your good leads, (the easiest one s first, that was another good lead), I removed injector rail and carefully hit the starter.
Yep, 3 not working and the fourth cats hissing out. So I have removed the rail and taken it to an ultra sound bath. He asked me where were the ceramic caps off the ends of the injectors ( over the needle apparently) WHAT? was my idiots' response. He told me that there should be caps on the ends inside the engine, and maybe they have fallen off inside the injection holes. OR someone else has replaced the rail without putting them back on. The shop will replace the O rings and caps but it's up to me to figure out if they are stuck in the holes. OMG as they say. Anyone had any similar probs, with solutions that doesn't involve pulling major bits off . Please?.
Also found that the fuel that ran out when I removed the in line was full of crap. I had cleaned the tank, new pump/lines/filter. Hoping that the crud was in the fuel rail, but need to drain the tank. Is there an easy way to do that? I will look it up again but whilst I'm here thought someone could help again.
Thanks for the help, hope you northerners are enjoying summer, I have to find a German football flag now. Cheers.

2Back to top Go down   Fuel Injection problem Empty Re: Fuel Injection problem Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
RT,
1. I think that the caps you are talking about are plastic and not ceramic.
2. I don't think that you can loose them down the hole. They a most likely still sitting in the injector hole.
3. They don't have too many places to go becuase the injectors point at the inlet valve. You can probably open the throttle fully and peek down to see if anything ahs fallen in. This would be the last resort because the amount of work required to remove that air-box is not trivial.

Fuel Injection problem K100%20eng%20section

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

3Back to top Go down   Fuel Injection problem Empty Fuel Injection problem Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:33 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Ned that's a great diagram.
The engine was opened and redone by someone else before I got it so I am hopeful that he didn't have the caps on, wouldn't have been started since the rebuild.
It's going to cost about $160 Aussie pesos to get the job done, I am hoping that my expenditure has stopped and can get it at least started, then there's brakes to bleed, new tyres, new brake pads and I think that will do. Every time I do something seems to lead to finding something else.
Ta mate, safe tripping.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum