BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Advice on spline conditions on Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:52 am

Matthew-Brisbane

Silver member
Silver member
Hello All

Finally allowed back into the shed to start the spline lube and GPI replacement on the 86 K100

I have never done a spline lube on a k before and tried to educate myself as much as I could before starting

everything has gone really well until, checking the condition of the existing rear coupling spline ( not sure what the actual correct term is )

To me the coupling spline looks like there is a major flat spotbefore or after the peak not sure what waythe coupling splines spins

2Back to top Go down    Re: Advice on spline conditions on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:20 am

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
The shaft is definitively gone.
Do a good cleanup of the splines on the final drive and take another picture. It maybe salvageable.
However, replacing both would be recommended but it's very expensive.

3Back to top Go down    Re: Advice on spline conditions on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:16 am

RicK G

VIP
VIP
The shaft has had the fritz for sure and the splines on the drive aren't much better.
The shafts are easy to fix but expensive and new are eyewateringly so.
The only place I have heard of that fixes the drive is Bruno's in Canada but I am sure that there are many engineering places in Australia that would be able to fix it.
If the uni joint is OK then buy a replacement spline from Motobins and get it welded in to the shaft. If that is not possible Munich in Perth has new shafts.
https://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts.php?model=K%20Series&bikeref=K100
I do have a Good shaft and drive and an almost new shaft plus a K100 that I got recently that has yet to be inspected. PM for more details.

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now

4Back to top Go down    Re: Advice on spline conditions on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:43 am

charlie99

VIP
VIP
sad to see Mathew

I have a set here almost exactly the same

a second hand bevel box and drive shaft may be the simplest (and cost effective) fix

and a good reminder to keep the maintenance up on "known to wear" parts

good luck mate

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O

5Back to top Go down    Re: Advice on spline conditions on Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:34 pm

Matthew-Brisbane

Silver member
Silver member
Well finally completed the spline lube and thanks to RickG for the spare final drive the K can now come down off the work bench
lol!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum