BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   clutch pushrod problem Empty clutch pushrod problem Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:36 am

bobthebob

so, I was inspecting the clutch pushrod before install and found this... i have checked it for straightness using a glass test and additionally running my micrometer down it's length and as far as i can tell it's straight.
But obviously these marks concern me.

Feedback?

Cheers,
Bennett

[img]https://servimg.com/view/15475741/3]clutch pushrod problem Pushro12

2Back to top Go down   clutch pushrod problem Empty Re: clutch pushrod problem Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:06 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Would it be the previous owner who used a pair of pliers to pull the rod from the front of the gear box? (Just for info, the steel tip is only pushed press fit into the rod.)
Or, would it be the bushing where the steel tip rides in completely worn?
I saw this on a K75 before. If the bushing is bad, would the rod gets enough play to touch the diaphragm on the clutch?

If the brass bushing is worn, the easiest way (and may be the only way) to extract it is to pack it with grease then insert a punch (same diameter as the tip of the push rod). Hit the punch with a good size hammer. The pressure applied to the grease will compress the grease and push the bushing out. Repack with grease an repeat the operation until the bushing is out.

clutch pushrod problem Bush10

3Back to top Go down   clutch pushrod problem Empty Re: clutch pushrod problem Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:28 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Good tip Bert!!

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland clutch pushrod problem Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

4Back to top Go down   clutch pushrod problem Empty Re: clutch pushrod problem Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:42 pm

bobthebob

hmmm... you know, I didn't think of checking the throwout bearing... I'll have to fit the pushrod in and see what kind of wiggle I get.

the damage is almost certainly from one of two things:
when the input shaft splines failed they became welded into the center splines of friction plate. it's possible that the damage occurred then when everything seized up.

OR - when I was taking off the old transmission. because the input shaft had welded itself into the friction plate it took a few *hours* of muscle-work to get it off. at some point during the wiggling it's possible the damage occurred.

but since I wasn't really wiggling that hard, I'm inclined to think it was from the seizure.

I have a 'new' (low-mileage used) transmission, but no new pushrod - I only just noticed the damage...

should I try and smooth the burrs out with emory? or just leave it?

thanks for the tip re: the throwout bearing!

5Back to top Go down   clutch pushrod problem Empty Re: clutch pushrod problem Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:32 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Bobthebob

If this part of the push rod is not the area where the shaft seal rides, you can polish it and re-use it. If I recall correctly, the shaft seal (inside the input shaft of the gear box) is on the back. If it's the case, you are safe!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum