BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Exhaust to muffler clamp on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:25 pm

BooG

Gold member
Gold member
My exhaust pipe to muffler clamp seems to become loose on a regular basis....just me?
Also, does everyone have the gasket at this point also? Does anyone not use one? I have been using some flattened out copper pipe, but the muffler still seems to become loose.

2Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust to muffler clamp on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:18 pm

MartinW

Life time member
Life time member
The OEM gasket was made out of pixilated fairy dust sometimes referred to as Mica. You had to be extremely careful when installing these, as any bump or misalignment resulted in the fairies bid for freedom. These gaskets had to be installed correctly preferably with an assistant to assure alignment. The gasket needed to be placed over the header pipe slightly protruding this needed to be carefully slightly pushed in towards the centre. Then the muffler is carefully pushed in and over the header pipe and gasket, and tightened.

These gaskets were at one time extremely expensive I was quoted $50.00 Au. I and others have tried various methods to stop the leaks. I've tried five types of gasket cement, muffler bandage, beer cans, strips of copper, brass, aluminium and wound stainless steel wire. All have worked to some extent but eventually failed. There is however a cure on the horizon.
Regards Martin.

3Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust to muffler clamp on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:36 pm

BooG

Gold member
Gold member
A cure on the horizon? Shocked

4Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust to muffler clamp on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:50 pm

MartinW

Life time member
Life time member
A new reusable gasket is in the process of being patented. And it works, I and a few others are running prototypes.
Regards Martin.

5Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust to muffler clamp on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:54 pm

robmack

Life time member
Life time member
Use an exhaust sealant between the headers and muffler, or buy one of of the gaskets to which Martin referred.

Last edited by robmack on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

6Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust to muffler clamp on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:53 am

BooG

Gold member
Gold member
Good stuff!
The other issue was the muffler coming loose. Is this a common issue?

7Back to top Go down    Re: Exhaust to muffler clamp on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:28 am

MartinW

Life time member
Life time member
I've put Kopper Kote on mine to prevent galling and it has never come loose. You might want to check the condition of the exhaust hanger bracket. If the rubber has parted ways with the metal it could contribute to vibration. This could then lead to the muffler moving and loosening off.
Regards Martin.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum