BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Rescued from a salvage yard. Empty Rescued from a salvage yard. Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:17 pm

Ron Ashurst

Ron Ashurst
Silver member
Silver member
Good morning all. I'm a first time BMW owner and I had to get one that is 30 years old from a salvage yard. I have had motorcycles before, 2 HD's and a Suzuki. I haven't ridden in 18 years since my daughter was born. So the little punk went and bought a Honda CBR250R and did not tell me until  it showed up at the house. Well, several arguments later I agreed to help her fix it up and paint it. So then about a month later I'm at the motorcycle salvage yard looking for a mirror and I see this ugly brown BWM that I just fell in love with. It has 126,000 miles but i don't care. So I ended up bringing it home as a winter project and went OCD working on it. I took the fairing off. Painted it grey and did allot of body work. I ended up replacing the fuel pump, filter and injectors and got it running. 

I have moderate mechanical experience and I am not afraid to try anything mechanical, but I am just not sure on what else I should be digging into to make sure it is running solid. I had to fix the seat lock and seat, Put a Yamaha headlight on it with Kawasaki turn signals. Moved the fuse box back under the seat as the old one was trash. Complete corrosion as the cover had been missing. I lubed the shaft splines. flushed the radiator, flushed and changed the oil. Replaced the plugs and tires. I still need to fix some of the circuitry in the instrument cluster as 2 traces are broken and I am going to re-coat the inside of the tank this winter. I didn't even know they made kits for that. I have already found allot of good information on this forum for issues so decided to join.

Any advise would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

2Back to top Go down   Rescued from a salvage yard. Empty Re: Rescued from a salvage yard. Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:52 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good to hear Ron

welcome aboard

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Rescued from a salvage yard. Empty Re: Rescued from a salvage yard. Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:04 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
WelKome to the Knuthaus Ron

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Rescued from a salvage yard. Empty Re: Rescued from a salvage yard. Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:55 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Rescued from a salvage yard. 177912 Find your questions ans we'll find your answers. Well, we might ask questions too  Very Happy like: did you replace all the rubber parts around the throttle bodies?

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

5Back to top Go down   Rescued from a salvage yard. Empty Re: Rescued from a salvage yard. Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:33 pm

Ron Ashurst

Ron Ashurst
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Guys. I did not replace the rubber parts around the throttle bodies. They appeared to be in pretty good condition. One thing I am fairly certain of is that the bike was well maintained. A visual inspection showed no cracks or signs of deterioration, but is there something else I should be looking for? 1 mistake I did make was not using OEM parts in the fuel system and I don't know if that is going to come back to haunt me. I had the bike for a quick 7 mile jaunt and it rode well but smoked pretty good for the first 3 and I have yet to take it out and put it through it's paces. I hear talk about adjusting valves and syncing the throttle bodies and have no idea how or if that needs done.

6Back to top Go down   Rescued from a salvage yard. Empty Re: Rescued from a salvage yard. Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:52 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Ron!  Don't worry about the non-BMW parts.  Hardly anyone replaces their fuel pump with the stupidly priced BMW part. 

Smoking is common with these bikes, I had a K100RS that sat for a couple of years before I got it.  The rings were stuck and it used a lot of oil.  A bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase and a couple thousand miles later it decreased to less than a quart in 1200 miles.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

7Back to top Go down   Rescued from a salvage yard. Empty Re: Rescued from a salvage yard. Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:56 am

Ron Ashurst

Ron Ashurst
Silver member
Silver member
Would it be worth while to get one of those Clymer manuals?

8Back to top Go down   Rescued from a salvage yard. Empty Re: Rescued from a salvage yard. Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:05 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Get a Clymer and a Haynes. Quite often one shows something that the other doesn't.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum